PDA

View Full Version : Burt Sugarman's The Midnight Special

Tone2TheBone
December 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I forgot to mention earlier this week that I ordered my first 6 DVDs of the entire Midnight Special series on DVD. Spanning from 1972 to 1981. More will be coming to my mailbox within the coming months. If any one of you guys are my age or older you remember these shows. Everyone from T Rex, David Bowie, The Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller, Billy Preston, Jim Croce, Aretha Franklin, Edgar Winter Group, Peter Frampton, Steely Dan et al appear on the show...the list goes on and on. Anyone that was anyone was highlighted...and the best thing about it is that these are LIVE performances. They're playing live and they're kicking ***. I sit here going..."dang look at that nice Fender amph....and that sweet old Gibson or Strat". It's eye and ear candy for the stuff we love man!

The series is remastered into 5.1 Digital Surround and the video playback looks great. I highly recommend this series to anyone that remembers those good ole days of live playing on television. You won't be disapointed.

Robert
December 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Sounds cool. Hey, I suddenly feel young again - I've never heard of the Midnight Special show.

Spudman
December 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Toe
You HAVE to tell us where to get it. This was some of the greatest stuff ever. Wolfman Jack was the host for a while wasn't he?

Tone2TheBone
December 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Robert,

Here is a link to the commercial site....

http://www.midnightspecial.com/index.php?acnt=GHZMID00

There used to be a few clips on youtube of certain performances. I'm at home right now and can't download them at the moment. It was a show that was run here in America during the years mentioned on my previous post. The shows would be broadcast on Saturday nights at well...midnight. Usually the show was hosted by a various artists who would perform along with other acts booked for that show's broadcast. The main announcer/host of the show was none other than Wolfman Jack, a well known radio DJ in the US.

Hogfullofblues
December 16th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Oh yea, I'm old enough to remember that show too well. And as I recall everything and everyone from Do Wop to Disco and in between was on there at some time or another, sometimes on the same show with some comedy mixed in. Excellent find! Back in the day I was not as open to all music as now, so these should be a real treat now.
Thanks!