PDA

View Full Version : Learning sequence?

Glacies
June 18th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I feel like I'm stagnating right now and I just wanted to run this past you guys and see if I missed something big. I had a rough night with the band last night and I am upset because I've been practicing this stuff for weeks and have no explanation why I screwed the pooch. This is how I taught myself guitar (after I quit lessons because ADE nursery rhymes weren't stimulating me). And before I mention anything I will just say that I seem to have innate rhythm or an internal clock or something, I've never had a problem in that department.

So I started playing power chords. This got me playing popular music that I liked and taught me where my roots are on the first 2 strings. It also got me improvving rock rhythms which is awesome. I wanted to branch out so I learned barre chords. I started learning how they were put together, got into minors, 7'ths, 7#9, 13th. I can use this stuff pretty well. Sometimes I can't freestyle them without thinking but if I have 5 minutes or so I can play just about any chord progression anywhere on the neck. A few of the caged barres I'm not too strong on, but C, A, E are the most popular in what I do anyway so I don't worry about that.

Anyway, then I wanted to get into lead. I learned the pents. I understand the majors and minors and how to locate them. My uncle told me to learn the major scales, so I learned those too. I also understand how to locate them. I understand phrasing and I understand how to resolve to the root to complete the phrase. And I do it fine at home, and then when I play in the band I stumble and get out of time and can't seem to get back in.

My idea of a solution is this: practice standing up to backing tracks and solo with the music of the song I'm trying to learn. STANDING! STANDING! STANDING! I think sitting down and learning is really screwing me for when I play with other people.

And if any of you are remembering when I was nervous to play or sing or do something musical, that's all gone now. I routinely sing for the band, play guitar and I've really lost all of that anxiety I have.

Does all of this seem like a reasonable learning progression to you guys? I don't have too much of a way of knowing if I've missed something crucial that will help me get out of this weird stagnating funk I'm in.

Katastrophe
June 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Others here are better players than I am... I'll let guys like Robert throw out a few pointers as far as technique goes.

Playing to backing tracks is a great way to firm up timing, and to try new ideas out about soloing. Yes, you should be standing, and have your guitar set to a comfortable height if that's how you play with the band. It's easy, though, to learn a few stock phrases and use them in different keys. That'll stagnate your playing quicker than anything.

The easiest thing to do for me when I feel like I'm in a rut musically is to listen to another genre of music, find something that interests me (chord choice / progression or lead phrase), and learn it. Incorporate that into your playing. Doing that does a few things:

1. It gets you out of your musical "comfort zone."
2. You have to listen to new and different artists.
3. You can then add variety to your playing.

Also, are you writing any original tunes? Think about the music in your head, and try to make it come out the speaker. It ain't easy, but its a fun challenge.

Finally, DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF! Stay open to new sounds and try to replicate them on the guitar. You might stumble into a cool technique or two that way as well.

Glacies
June 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have been doing some writing, but stopped to work on my lead. I should probably get back to that.

I have been listening to the same CD's over and over again trying to deconstruct them... maybe I should listen to some new stuff. Thanks for the pointers.

Katastrophe
June 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I have been listening to the same CD's over and over again trying to deconstruct them... maybe I should listen to some new stuff.

Bingo!

It may even be good to just put the guitars down for a few days, just to give it a rest. A little space can sometimes reignite the fire, and have you playing like a maniac later.

Glacies
June 21st, 2012, 07:06 AM
I seem to be getting out of my funk. I think listening and doing some things out of my comfort zone helped. I tried to figure out some of my uncle's jazz licks by ear and that helped me use the scales effectively in my mind.

Then I just kind of broke down and forced myself to learn some solos note by note. I hate doing that, it's tedious, but I admit I think I'm spoiled in that I can usually pick up rhythm and strumming pattern with minimal effort.

Solos I'm working on are from Dani California (which I might be bugging you guys about in a bit, there's a shreddy bit at the end) and Tom Sawyer.