PDA

View Full Version : UNAGD - Unexpected New Acoustic Guitar Day

R_of_G
June 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Got a text from my wife this morning with a photo of a Takamine Jasmine S-45, asking if I would be interested in giving it a free home. Silly question but I suppose she needed confirmation. Apparently one of her friends has had it forever and has finally decided she's never going to learn how to play it so it's mine, no take-backs.

It needs to be strung before I can play it, but here is the obligatory photo to document that this NGD actually happened...

http://i48.tinypic.com/wk61pk.jpg

Though it's probably not the acoustic I'd have chosen for myself had I been purchasing one, but for free, it's the perfect acoustic guitar for me because it's all mine.

Bookkeeper's Son
June 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Nothing beats free - congrats. If it's like the inexpensive Tak dread I had a couple of years ago, it'll prolly be a pretty good. Mine wasn't very loud or resonant, but the sound was balanced. The stellar feature was an excellent neck, especially for a cheap guitar. Enjoy!

Katastrophe
June 18th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Man, that's awesome!

Congrats, it's a beautiful guitar... The Jasmines I've heard and played have all been keepers. Takamine makes a fine guitar!

sunvalleylaw
June 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Nice! Congrats! I am sure there are hours of enjoyment lurking in that instrument!

Tig
June 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Happy UNAGD! :thumbsup
Since it was free, you can spring for some fancy high-flutin' coated strings.

R_of_G
June 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
So I can report this guitar is now up and running.

It provided me with an opportunity to do my very first guitar repair, albeit a rather minor one. There was a slight crack toward the top of the neck (about a couple of inches below the headstock). A little bit of Titebond and a clamp and the next day it was structurally sound again. I've since strung it and tuned it and have begun to get used to the sounds it makes.