PDA

View Full Version : ProCo The Rat Vintage

Justaguyin_nc
December 17th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ok, it was not my fault.. she said she wanted to get me some pedals for x-mas.. and seeing some of the ones I wanted have to be purchased used... well.. She had to give it to me early...

There are a few versions of the rat out there.. mine is the reissue vintage.. no led and the lm308 chip.. 3 knobs.. distortion, filter, volume

First Impressions: Woohoo.. from clean to dirty dirty.. to fuzzy...
cleans up real nice and has no noise attached except that which you dial in.

ProCo The Rat surely is worth the money.. The filtering knob really does have alot of sounds to it.. looking up the names of those using it.. well, I might not sound like them.. but I am in good company...

Check out some sound samples online if your looking for another overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal... worth the look...

Did I mention, once I told her it worked... I wrapped a danelectro fab in the box and left the rat on the board... :)

SuperSwede
December 17th, 2006, 07:42 AM
The rat is a fantastic pedal.. Warm and fuzzy with a truckload of sustain! Congrats!

So what are you going to give to your GF?

Justaguyin_nc
December 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Ummm I gave her a smile...;) and a thank you...:) Im really enjoying this pedal.. I guess it has a (pardon my ignorance if wrong) Marshall type sound, a Muff sound and cleans up nicely with the volume control on the guitar for a BD-2 sound.. very flexable.. and combined with the Dynacomp I now understand how Gilmour gets a Clicking pick sound (again pardon my ignorance if wrong) while doing his solos... im getting closer (in my ears and head anyways)

SuperSwede
December 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Record something for us Justa!

A nice RAT trick is to set the gain to almost 0, just to the point where it just breaks up. You will get a very smooth clean sound with looooong sustain. The Rat really does the sustain thing well.

Justaguyin_nc
December 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Record something for us Justa!

A nice RAT trick is to set the gain to almost 0, just to the point where it just breaks up. You will get a very smooth clean sound with looooong sustain. The Rat really does the sustain thing well.

Ummm than noone would even look at them..lol...

You mean the distortion down to 0? under 9:00 seems a bit to clean or Gain on my amp?

Im stuck liking it with echo on from the Ibanez echo/delay and dynacomp... alone to me.. it just dont sound right... cause thats me..

Justaguyin_nc
December 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Well.. in spite of scaring people away from buying one... here is a tiny clip in 32k first part - Strat vol 5 neck pickup>Dynacomp compressor>The Rat- dist. 10:00 filter 5:00 Vol 12:00>Ibanez echodelay>craterpowerblock>computer>audacity and second half same settings except I turned the pickup to bridge and vol to 10 on strat which makes it get pretty darn loud without bending over..

Spudman
December 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I don't have the same model that you have but yours sounds nice.

I have just your basic Rat. I didn't like it for a long time but then I started running it in front of the Valve Jr and the Power Block and now I really like it. It's just different enough from any of my other distortion pedals to keep me interested. It just took a while for my tastes to change I guess. Although I haven't ever played out with it it is on the list of to go gear for the next opportunity.

Glad that you are liking yours.

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM
You mean the distortion down to 0? under 9:00 seems a bit to clean or Gain on my amp?.

Well the breakup differs from guitar to guitar, but start out with a clean sound on your amp. Then add gain until it breaks up when you play hard. Try keeping the rat at the same level as the clean amp. Play a single note without the rat, and the with the rat. Notice the difference?

Justaguyin_nc
December 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Ohhh.. ok I know what ya mean now... thats about what I keep the gain on with the crate.. just backing it off into clean to my ears.. which actually is up about 10:00 to mine.. now add a compressor before the Rat and you get an even looooonger sustain..:) Funny thing that clip I put up... is not how I am using it... turning the distortion about 1 am and filter all the way up (which is actually Bass side on these) I get my fuzzy kinda sound I wanted.. although I probably will still find a Muff or clone I don't know if will sound much different... I guess thats what e-bay is for.. to sell what you don't use any more..

Spuds...How about a little clip of you Valve with the rat please?