PDA

View Full Version : Setup instructions for a Les Paul

Glacies
June 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Okay guys, hopefully nobody is rolling their eyes here.

My Les Paul is just out of whack right now. I don't know if it's a summer thing, but my strings are buzzing on the frets all over the place and my action is pretty high on the 12th. I guess I had been playing my strat so much that when I got back to this i'm finding it unplayable.

Money is tight right now, and I am an engineer, I should be fully capable of doing this myself (famous last words), so I was hoping someone could post a video or give me some direction on how to do this.

Fundamentally I understand what and where every adjustment is on this thing, but what is confusing me is the order and the way one adjustment affects others.

For instance I'm afraid if I start at the neck first, the string tension will pull the neck forward again, etc.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Bookkeeper's Son
June 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Action (bridge height) adjustment is easier done with the strings de-tensioned.Truss rod adjustments should be done with the guitar tuned to pitch. As for intonation with a Tune-O-Matic, I find that adjusting a given saddle is easier with that particular string de-tensioned.

Generally, I do the adjustments in the above order, and I really don't think they affect each other in any discernable manner.

Katastrophe
June 27th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Here are a bunch of YouTube vids that can point you in the right direction... Interestingly, the Gibson website either doesn't have a tutorial on setups, or my search methods were ineffective.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+set+up+a+les+paul+guit ar&oq=how+to+set+up+a+les&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l3.5772.9275.0.12366.19.18.0.1.1 .1.215.2019.8j9j1.18.0...0.0.mZmPztOFZCs

deeaa
June 28th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Here's how you do the seasonal truss rod adjustment etc. (it usually happens at seasonal change time and because of humidity and temp changes.)

- Remove the headstock truss rod cover and find a suitable wrench for the rod
- With the guitar in tune, press your finger on 1st fret of high E and the last fret of same, so that the string lays flat on the frets. While holding it, gently pick it in the middle. The aim is to have _some_ clearance on the neck, i.e. it has to be very slightly bowed and the string should just barely ring free between the 1st and last frets. Just barely, but cleanly.

If there is loads of room for the string to vibrate, you need to tighten the truss rod (i.e. turn clockwise looking down from the headstock to the guitar) until there's only a slight bow left.
If the string just goes 'brrt' over the frets, you need to loosen the neck to get it first straight and then give it just a touch of bow. (turn anti-clockwise)

- Mind you: do NOT turn the truss rod screw too much at once. Usually 1/4 turn is absolutely the max at once, unless you really know your guitar and such.
When you have turned it some, re-tune and play the guitar for a while, preferably let it sit a day or at least some hours before adjusting more. You can also physically help the neck settle into the new position by bending it back and forth a little as you'd do neck vibrato.

You might want to leave the truss rod cover off for a few days and do some small adjustments as you play it over the next days.

That's all there is to it. Very easy, something every guitarist learns how to do in just a minute or two very soon, at least if they live somewhere with plenty of humidity changes :-)

Neck relief has nothing to do with saddle and bridge height though, but it's useless to adjust those unless the neck relief is just right.

Only after the neck relief is where you want it to be, (some people like it almost or even completely flat, especially if they use thin strings and play distorted only and some want more clearance if they play fat strings and go for pure cleans), you can start to adjust the bridge height. Loosen the strings some so it's easy to move the adjustment nuts...I use a long needle-nose plier to access them from the side so I don't have to loosen them all the way...and just set it to the height you want them to be.

Neck relief preferences also depend on the guitar; where exactly does the neck bend the most? Some necks bend quite evenly from about 14th fret towards the headstock and may work well with little relief, some bend clearly more sharply from like 5th forwards like my Gibson did, and work really the best with quite a lot of relief but setting the bridge really low...some guitars have clearly more relief on the bass side (like they should) etc. etc....it's absolutely crucial to find the best relief for YOUR preference, guitar and style. If you can find that, basically any guitar that doesn't have physical faults like jutting frets, can play perfectly 'like butter', no difference if it's a $20K or $100 axe. Simple mechanics only.

I have had LOTS of guitars that have required loads of adjustment...my Gibson was the worst by far, it had to be adjusted at least 4 times a year. I've tried to get rid of all such axes over the years and the ones that have the most stable woods etc. are the ones I stick with. I do currently have this Squier that needs plenty of adjustments, but I also have a few custom builds that need no adjustment at all, and my Epi Prophecy seems to require only a little and rarely.

Glacies
June 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much fellas, this is really helpful.

Kat, I was a little scared to trust stuff on youtube. I mean it made sense, but as far as I am concerned, you guys are the authorities.

Glacies
June 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wow Deeaa, very helpful. Did it when I got home from work and it's like a different guitar right now. Thanks very much for the detailed instruction

Glacies
June 29th, 2012, 06:45 AM
UP NEXT!

The Strap nubbin on the bottom of the Les Paul is loose and highly irritating. Is this common? How do I fix it?

A coworker told me to put a toothpick in the hole and then just treat it like normal. I feel throwing some woodglue in there would be a better fix along with the toothpick.

deeaa
June 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
that's what I do, toothpick or two and some wood glue.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2