PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought........

Plank_Spanker
December 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Do you have a decent studio setup?

Do you know a young hottie with "the look"?

Want to cash in?

Look no farther..........................:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irk3_p15RJY

Lev
December 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Wow, that pitch auto correct software is cool - I'd all but given up on ever recording my own vocals ;)

Seriously though, now I undrstand why you never hear Britney Spears sing live!

tot_Ou_tard
December 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Truly wild. Thanks Planky!

DaveO
December 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I have been telling my wife for a few years now that popular music and country music, especially country, is dying. Hire faces and bodies and teach them how to sing. Now they don't even teach them to sing. :(
Oh well, true talent will always be recognized by a percentage of people. There is hope, don't despair yet.
Dave

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Truly wild. Thanks Planky!

Huh, I wonder why guys like Dylan and Neil don't do that. :cool: (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

t_ross33
December 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I have been telling my wife for a few years now that popular music and country music, especially country, is dying. Hire faces and bodies and teach them how to sing. Now they don't even teach them to sing. :(
Oh well, true talent will always be recognized by a percentage of people. There is hope, don't despair yet.
Dave

Couldn't agree with you more, D. Growing up with a strong country music background, I've pretty much given up on the current scene of popular "artists". That said, since starting up a band and playing live, there are some Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney etc. tunes that are a lot of fun to play and party to.

Nashville has always been "product" based, just more so now that you have to have a pretty face for the video as well.

I thought there was hope back in the late 80's when there was a bit more emphasis on singer-songwriters, but CMT killed that quick. There are a few diamonds in the rough...check out Brad Paisley. That boy can sure spank a Tele.

I get together with a buddy of mine now and again and jam to the classics: Waylon & Willie, Merle etc. Keeping the dream alive - LOL!

Trev

EDIT: My wife would like me to add Dierks Bentley and Keith Urban to the "pretty but talented" list :D

duhvoodooman
December 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM
That would be kind of funny, if it wasn't so overtly scary.

Plank_Spanker
December 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM
It's not about music..................it's all about product - hyped to the nines and targeted with laser precision. This is your Jessicas, Lindseys and Ashlees.

Look who's making bank and laughing all of the way! :D

But, that's the bizz, folks, like it or not.

What the clip sails over is the production and marketing effort. You need good studio talent. You need good video production talent. You need savvy people to market the product on the world's stage.

Always seems to be a fly in the ointment......................:D

Spudman
December 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I'm glad I have the clarity to see through the crap. Too bad the rest of the population doesn't.

My mission is simple: I educate as many people as I can that there is other and better music to listen to than radio and whatever the man is trying to sell us. And, I vote with my $. The music better have some substance to it or I just don't buy it.

It's like the record companies are in league with Big Brother to keep us pacified with drivel and take our money to keep the cycle going. Thanks to Dee Schneider and Queensryche I have two mantras for that: "We're not gonna take it" and "revolution calling."

Party on Garth.

r_a_smith3530
December 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, just when I was wondering what had happened to all the Mama Cass' of the world...

Thanks for sharing that Planky!

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Couldn't agree with you more, D. Growing up with a strong country music background, I've pretty much given up on the current scene of popular "artists". That said, since starting up a band and playing live, there are some Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney etc. tunes that are a lot of fun to play and party to.

Nashville has always been "product" based, just more so now that you have to have a pretty face for the video as well.

I thought there was hope back in the late 80's when there was a bit more emphasis on singer-songwriters, but CMT killed that quick. There are a few diamonds in the rough...check out Brad Paisley. That boy can sure spank a Tele.

I get together with a buddy of mine now and again and jam to the classics: Waylon & Willie, Merle etc. Keeping the dream alive - LOL!

Trev

EDIT: My wife would like me to add Dierks Bentley and Keith Urban to the "pretty but talented" list :D
Why don't you try some alt.americana?

Old 97's, Drive By Truckers, Blue Rodeo, The Replacements, Steve Earle, etc.

Not quite country, but the sh*t-covered boots approach beats the h*ll out of processed food.

Blue Rodeo is the most polished of the above list, but in a Gram Parsons kind'a way.

DaveO
December 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM
I love Blue Rodeo and Drive-By Truckers. Country with a little grit and intelligent lyrics. If you hear "Carl Perkins Cadillac" by Drive-By and don't instantly become a fan, there ain't no hope for ya. Check the artists in my sig.
Dave

t_ross33
December 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I love Blue Rodeo and Drive-By Truckers. Country with a little grit and intelligent lyrics. If you hear "Carl Perkins Cadillac" by Drive-By and don't instantly become a fan, there ain't no hope for ya. Check the artists in my sig.
Dave

I've been a big Blue Rodeo fan since their debut in '86. Steve Earle is also high on my list - also a late '80s debut...see my comment above about "hope in the late '80s" ;) Blue Rodeo's "5 Days in July" is a classic.

My Dad was a big follower of the "Outlaw" scene in the '70s so I grew up with a healthy appreciation for my country a little off center :cool:

Tone2TheBone
December 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I don't know if this is true or not but I read somewhere that some engineer said they used that auto pitch correct to fix some high pitched vocals on a very popular movie soundtrack title done a while back. It needed to be enhanced otherwise the soundtrack would have 'sunk' just like the story did. It was explained that it's the reason why this performer cannot sing that famous high vocal part live when she performs.

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Dave
DaveO! I never looked at your sig before. I love Ani DeFranco! I'll have to check out some the others there that I don't know.

DaveO
December 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Ani probably has the sexiest voice in music. One mans opinion of course.
Dave

Spudman
December 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Dave

Look familiar? Who might dat be?