PDA

View Full Version : I don't quite get it.

NWBasser
July 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Last night I was once again playing my CV jazz bass. I had to raise the action a touch because of my heavy plucking. It was super loooowww.

Now it's just playably low.:socool

Anyway, I bought this one last December for about $300 and a bit of change.

I'm still extremely impressed with it. I've used it for several gigs and the tone/playability is exemplary.

It sounds/plays better than several US standards that I've tried and better than my old USA Dlx.

How on Earth could anyone make a bass like this for that price????

How in H3!! could a $300 bass possibly be this good?

Spudman
July 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Don't forget that the Standard Jazz basses of yore were in that price range.

Just goes to show that a well made instrument doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

FrankenFretter
July 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Just look at the stuff from Agile/Rondo; outstanding quality, but very affordable. But as word spreads, expect prices to reflect that. The Agiles have gone up in the last couple years, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fender follow suit eventually, as the word is already out about how good their CV and VM Squier lines are.

NWBasser
July 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Don't forget that the Standard Jazz basses of yore were in that price range.

I vaguely remember when American-made instruments were in that price range. 30 years ago or so?

Stig
July 2nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
No kidding. I built my first Strat because I couldn't afford to drop $400 on a (GASP!) used, 70's CBS model. (Eventually paid $375 for a '71 Tele in 1983, but it was pretty beat up at the time.)

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
Sometimes, everything falls into place on the assembly of a guitar. The CNC machine is programmed to spec and is accurate, the assemblers, finishers, fret installers, pickup wiring folks are with it, and the QC guy is well rested when he tests / sets up the guitar.

It's almost a magical thing when everything comes together and you get a great playing guitar. It doesn't matter where it's made, or what number guitar it was that day. The cool thing about modern manufacturing is that it happens with more regularity, at all price levels.

Keep playing that sucker until the frets wear off!

MAXIFUNK
July 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Why ask why just enjoy the groove man!!!

progrmr
August 20th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Man I agree - these days you can find some really tremendous values. I've really learned to ignore the headstock and play it. If I had endless money or was a professional musician I'd consider the really high end stuff but variety is the spice of life and when I see different guitars with different configurations I have to try them...ALL!!! :) At least that's how I've bought and sold over the last few years.

A quality guitar for a cheap price is simply the best when it happens. Admittedly, there are plenty of times that it doesn't happen - I pick up that cheapie and play and I'm like "oh, I don't like this at all"....but sometimes you find that gem that just play works. I'd say your CV falls into that category. My $250 Cort LP - right up there with much more expensive instruments. It's a great day when it happens.

marnold
August 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I vaguely remember when American-made instruments were in that price range. 30 years ago or so?

I got my made-in-the-USA Peavy Fury p-bass with a hard-shell case for less than $300 (I want to say $280) brand spankin' new in 1987 or 1988. I still want it back. Its resale value wouldn't be as great as a Fender's, but as far as quality goes, it would be every bit its equal, if not better.

NWBasser
August 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I got my made-in-the-USA Peavy Fury p-bass with a hard-shell case for less than $300 (I want to say $280) brand spankin' new in 1987 or 1988. I still want it back. Its resale value wouldn't be as great as a Fender's, but as far as quality goes, it would be every bit its equal, if not better.

They have rotten resale value.

You can get MIA Peaveys from that era for dirt cheap these days, and like you said, they're great instruments!

That's easily the best route to a top-quality bass for very few bucks. If only people knew how good they really are the prices would shoot upwards.

There's a Peavey P/J here for $150 that's a MIA model. I'd be on it like snot if I didn't have all the basses I want already.

MAXIFUNK
August 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I bought a Ibanez SR375F 5 string fretless a few weeks back that put a end to my 5 string search instantly. I wanted to hate it because I had my eye on SR 25th anniversary 5 string. But I could not put it down and for $449.99 how could I go wrong. soon to be my 50th Bday present to myself in a couple of months.

Yeah it is crazy what you can find these days for under $500.00.