PDA

View Full Version : An original from a new guy - Support Your Local Astronauts

Stig
July 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I recorded this one several months back. It's under my fake, one man band name that I use for my stuff; Aspirin Hammer. (Long story...) I haven't written any more originals since, but for a while considered making this part of a rock opera. Then abandoned that idea because it was silly.

Anyway, it also nicely sums up me musically. A bit Beatle-y, a bit Byrds-y, a bit XTC and Guided by Voices. I'll save the Ramones-y stuff for another post.

Hope you guys like it!

http://soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer/support-your-local

Katastrophe
July 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I dig it! Chimey, and rootsy. I'm definitely hearing the Beatles, and the Byrds influence.

I'd like to hear the Ramones-y stuff, too!

Stig
July 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I dig it! Chimey, and rootsy. I'm definitely hearing the Beatles, and the Byrds influence.

I'd like to hear the Ramones-y stuff, too!

Thanks! I'll post more links but you can browse around my Soundcloud page for more stuff. Check out one called Defective. There are a couple of Ramones covers too.

helliott
July 8th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Very catchy tune. Also hear a bit of a Tom Petty vibe -- and that too is a compliment. Looking forward to hearing more.

Tig
July 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Very cool!
I wish the local all astronaut band, "Max Q", sounded half as good.

Stig
July 8th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks, guys! Tig, there's a band made up of astronauts?

Stig
July 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Are you kidding? I LOVE Tom Petty!

Tig
July 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks, guys! Tig, there's a band made up of astronauts?

Yep. There have been many different lineups. The best was the first back in the late 80's.

Stig
July 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I wonder if that Max Q ever got into a legal battle with Michael Hutchence of INXS over the name. He fronted a short-lived (no pun intended) side project with that name.

Tig
July 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM
They got their name from the space vehicle ascent phase, maximum dynamic pressure, AKA: "maximum Q". They started about the time Michael Hutchence's band did, but being a cover band, they didn't show up on the music scene radar.

Poor Michael Hutchence. His suicide was such a sad waste. I saw INXS play a small venue in '83, and they really had it together.

jpfeifer
July 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sounds great. It reminds me of one of our local Phoenix bands, The Gin Blossoms. I like the 12-string and harmonica.
Great job on this!

--Jim Pfeifer

Stig
July 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks! Oddly enough, the harmonica was in the loop library of the software I use, Acoustica Mixcraft, and wasn't in the first mix of the song. I stumbled on it looking for a drum loop, and thought it would go nicely in there.

rumblejet
December 5th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I like the song, really like the vocals. I think if you dropped the 12-string for standard guitar or something else the song would have more of it's own vibe, right now it's kind of trapped.

guitarhack
December 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Very cool. Love the electric 12.

Stig
December 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Very cool. Love the electric 12.

Thanks! I love electric 12. It's a big part of my overall sound.

Stig
December 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I like the song, really like the vocals. I think if you dropped the 12-string for standard guitar or something else the song would have more of it's own vibe, right now it's kind of trapped.

Thanks! Not sure if all six strings would work for me on that. In my head, it always sounded the way it does.

marnold
December 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Don't know how I missed this the first time around. I agree . . . very Petty-esque.