PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Advice

BJunior
December 18th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Could use a bit of advice on a purchase.

I'm looking at picking up a new book and cd package
(http://mjspublications.com/low_band/gtstalayout.htm)
just for the mere fact that it has so much stuff in it.

My dilema is this.

I build my scales and view the guitar fretboard through the CAGED type sytem, where there is 5 basic shapes and they all connect logically. After speaking with the author he said that he does not teach this and does not recommend it either. I find that strange because it just seems so logical to me. Although he says he does view this when it comes to the Pentatonic shapes

I'm wondering how everyone else views the fretboard when it comes to scales and improv and piecing the entire fretboard together.
-Jon

Lev
December 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Id say you need to start with the caged approach. But you do tend to get locked into the cages when improvising and this is probably where the author is coming from.

However there's lots you can do to break out of the cage. What works for me is learn your scales in cages, then once you know the cage system inside out start to play the whole scale on 2 strings and work your way up the fret board. Do this on each set of two strings and try learn the notes as you go. If you need help use something like the scale generator program below to help you out.

http://www.electricbluesclub.co.uk/guitar/guitar_codex.html

BJunior
December 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM
What works for me is learn your scales in cages, then once you know the cage system inside out start to play the whole scale on 2 strings and work your way up the fret board.

that's exactly my approach, I'm just wondering why the opposition to this... I think just for statisfying my curiosity I just may order this ....

Robert
December 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Good question - I am teaching my guitar students my own view of how to learn the fretboard. I will soon cover this on my own website, but the gist of it is "seeing" the notes on the fretboard. This works by learning patterns and shapes, then focusing on connecting these. As well, you should learn each scale from the lowest to the highest note on one single string, so that you are not locked into playing into certain positions. Freedom is good!

Hogfullofblues
December 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I never heard of the CAGED system until now. More good info for us newbies!
I found this on that in case any others wish to explore:

http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?iTarget=http%3A//www.wholenote.com/cgi-bin/page_view.pl%3Fl%3D912%26p%3D1%26a%3D0

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Good question - I am teaching my guitar students my own view of how to learn the fretboard. I will soon cover this on my own website, but the gist of it is "seeing" the notes on the fretboard. This works by learning patterns and shapes, then focusing on connecting these. As well, you should learn each scale from the lowest to the highest note on one single string, so that you are not locked into playing into certain positions. Freedom is good!
I like knowing where *all* the notes are too. I understand the CAGED system, but I wouldn't say I know it inside out. I have been planning on doing some single string studies to lock in all the notes on each string.

BJunior
December 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM
The Caged system is what I was raised up on and it just makes too much sense for me. Although I must admiit I'm still working at being extremely free moving from shape to shape on all the strings... I took a long lay off from playing so knocking the dust off my brain is really hard work

I did put together some graphics that for someone to teach it too perhaps someone else would like them.

Here is the A Shape Major Scale

And it's A Shape Corresponding Blues Scale..

-Jon

sunvalleylaw
December 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM

That sounds great. Having come to the guitar with memories of my youth piano experience, it is a little frustrating at times to me because I cannot look at the neck of the guitar and see all the notes and octaves lined up in white, with the sharps/flats lined up in black. Once I understand better, however, the freedom will be great. Spud gave me a good suggestion of just trying to play simple melodies on one string or so, and then in one position on the neck, to get a better feel for it. I am trying to use Christmas tunes for that purpose. Robert, I would really look forward to one of your great lessons on the subject.