PDA

View Full Version : Which Epi LP would you suggest?

tjcurtin1
July 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I know that this will open up a can of... opinions... but which model of the Epi LP do you like best and why - I'm asking in regards to sound quality/characteristics, and playing characteristics in terms of neck shape, as opposed to cosmetics.
Also, suggestions about years and places of manufacture to either look for or avoid. Thanks!

Oh, I'm also happy to hear about other LP versions/makers - I know that there are many Agile fans here, too.

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I've been a fan of the LP Custom, in ebony... I've also played some Epi LP Studios that were great, and low priced, to boot!

Although there are a number of good alternatives out there from Agile, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and such.

One can even find some fine Gibson LP Studio Fadeds used for the price of a new Epi Custom. http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

The link doesn't work right, but you can do a quick search to check GC's used prices...

Bookkeeper's Son
July 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM
In my experience, most Epi LPs are more similar than different. Most have the same pickups and electronics, similar or identical necks, etc. The differences are mainly cosmetic. Personally, if I were to choose a Epi LP, I'd pick the one that was most attractive to me. One of the really nice things about EPI LPs is that they have been enormously popular, thus providing a very plentiful inventory in the used market. Prices at about 50% of street price when new are not at all uncommon.

Hampus
July 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I've tried the LP special. Price fire a new one here was around $350. I was amazed at how good it felt. Smooth neck and low action.

NWBasser
July 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've been pretty happy with my Epi LP Standard. A lot of guitar for the money.

The Deluxe didn't seem to offer any substantial improvement.

Retro Hound
July 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I love the sound of the LP Ultra. It's chambered and has great resonance.

Tig
July 17th, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Epi Ultra's, PRO's and a few signature models like the Joe Bonamassa tend to be a higher quality build and pickups than the rest. The lower and middle Epi's are a case by case basis in my experience. Some of the Custom's are OK, and some have their cheap pickups. The necks are usually their slim-taper shape and thickness, which feels pretty good to me. The occasional '59 rounded D is a bit thick for my preference.

YMMV

Bookkeeper's Son
July 17th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I do not agree that the higher-priced Epiphones have a better build quality. They, and most of their components are made in the same factories (by the same people, with the same assembly methods) as their brethren, whether they be higher-priced or lower. Until recently, almost all LP pickups (except for the cheapest bolt-on models) were the "Alnico Classic" model, same as on most other humbucker-loaded Epi models. Some newer ones have the latest "Alnico Pro" pickups, and some have Gibson USA humbuckers (LP Tribute). This "better build quality" thing is simply conjecture.

Are we to believe that the CNC machines are finer tuned for the more-expensive models?

Tig
July 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM
No, personal, hands on experience, not "conjecture".
I make statements based on reality that I can stand behind.

YMMV on Epiphones, but the higher end models tend to have a more consistent quality level than the rest of the line, starting about 3 years ago. I've played more than I can count.

Tone2TheBone
July 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I really like my '56 Epi Goldtop with P90s. It's my favorite guitar. Great combination of pickup tones and that LP feel and beef.

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I own a 60's Tribute LP, with the '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus pickups (Gibson USA). It also has a long tenon neck, US electronics, and Mallory 150 caps. I don't think you can get a better bang for the buck with an Epi, especially since Epi has dropped the new price $200 since I bought mine. Of course, it's all subjective, and YMMV.

NWBasser
July 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
And on another note, Frankenfretter has a couple of Agile Les Pauls that are both really sweet guitars.

If I were to do it all over, I'd probably have picked an Agile.

tjcurtin1
July 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks, guys for all the good input. As I looked around I found myself interested in the Traditional Pro with an Alnico II Classic Pro in the neck and a Probucker 3 in the bridge... and as luck would have it, MF is selling them for $125 off their usual $499. price at the moment (In ebony only)! Too hard to talk myself out of that, so I ordered one! Will post photos next week. I had been GAS free entirely for almost two years, until I passed a pawn shop with an EPI Studio in the window, which set off this latest case... However, this means that one of my other guitars has to go now - probably the Washburn HB-30.

BTW, a good word for the folks at MF- when I called an hour later to try to add a couple of the leather straps mentioned in this thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20586-Anyone-needing-a-decent-guitar-strap), the salesman said that he couldn't add it but that he would send them out separately with free shipping anyway - pretty decent of them. I have to say that I've had other similar pleasant experiences buying from them.

Tig
July 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Nice choice! I think you'll be happy, and the price can't be beat.

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro/Gallery/LesPaulTradPro_EB_Splash.jpg

Katastrophe
July 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Great choice! Congratulations!

Duffy
July 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Good choice. I like the sound of Alnico II pickups and I've heard that the Burstbucker 3 that the probucker three is based on is a great pickup.

Those Epi's might not have the flash and features of the Agile AL3xxx guitars, but they are nothing to scoff at.

I have an Epi LP Standard Plus Top in amber that I recently put a nickel covered Dimarzio "Super Distortion" pickup in the bridge position. That is one of my best sounding guitars, if not the best sounding. Maybe I'll put a Dimarzio in the neck next, however, the stock neck pickup sounds decent.

Looks like you got a super good deal. Congratulations.

tjcurtin1
July 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Hey, nice picture, Tig! What with the zebra open coils, it looks like a tuxedo to me.... BTW, I forgot to mention a really interesting feature of this guitar - it has coil taps on both pups, so it gets a wide array of sounds. Here's a great demo - tho it's of the Gibson model of this guitar - going through all the positions:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmArAp62ur8&feature=g-hist

deeaa
July 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM
On the CNC machines thing...the guitars aren't apparently made entirely with CNC at all. I have tested a few Epi SG's (when I bought my Prophecy) and there's several differences between the models.
The Epi 'Custom Shop' guitar vs. the Prophecy I went thru with a very keen eye...several spots are a touch different. Even the body shape/size isn't exactly the same but there can be differences by even several millimeters. The neck joint is differently done on them. The pickup cavities aren't even exactly aligned, if you really measure them exactly, they seem to seldom be 100% straight between the two - in fact on my prophecy the neck pup cavity is at least 3mm slanted to the side, with the pickup installed the difference is only like 1mm and you can't see it there but if you measure the gap it widens clearly...noticed it only when making a plexi pickguard for it.

On some Epi's you may find a rather thin lacquer and on some there are spots like the headstock end where there can be like 3 mm thick spots of lacquer to even out a mis-shaped or too small part or something.

I think the Epi's and most other guitars are only roughly CNC'd to rough shape and lots of the shaping/sanding/ cavities etc. are still done by hand & routers.

On the subject of cheaper Epi's...well the cheaper ones obviously have bolt-on necks, and made with inferior woods, usually with thicker necks so that they'll stay straight even if less quality wood.
If you sand off the pain on a cheaper end Epi, you'll likely find dark spots / branch spots and / or color defects in the wood used and deeper dings filled in before painting.

On pretty much every Epi except the very top end ones the woods aren't what they seem. Korina Explos etc...the entire lines are actually veneer coated & made from smaller bits glued together. The veneer is so well done though you literally need a magnifying glass to tell the seams, and it's only easy to find out the deal if you break the surface with a deep ding.

At least on cheap bolt-on epi LP's the top wood isn't even wood but some kind of photo or something.

Having said all that, I really dig many an Epi. I like my Prophecy much better than most any Gibson SG I ever tried, it's a terrific guitar, but still it's acoustic sound will never be anywhere close to that of a Gibson that's made from one piece quality woods and thin lacquers.

Me, I care not about that because to me guitar woods make like 0.0001% difference in the amplified sound anyway.

But trust me, there certainly are LOTS of differences between various Epiphone models and price classes.

wingsdad
July 28th, 2012, 09:40 AM
If you think you might want to keep it, look for any gently-pre-owned pre-2004 BGCF (Before Gibson China Factory) built in Korea model usually under contract with strict spec QC so excellent build quality. You can tell by the s/n on the headstock. First a letter code designating the factor, the next 1 or 2 digits tell the year:

I = Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd.
R = Peerless Korea Co. Ltd. (the factory was Aria's, since they were an Aria, Japan subsidiary)
S = Samick Guitars (closed Korea in 02 and moved to Indonesia)
U = Un Sung Musical Instrument Co. Ltd.
F = Fine Guitars Plant

It could take a while, but worth it. If you don't like the PUPs, you can always swap those out for Gibsons or save coin w/o sacrificing quality with Duncan clones.

Just my 2 cents, as I've acquired & shucked a few Chinese builds, the worst coming out of Gibson China (s/n starting with code EE). To hide that shite now, they don't even use a letter code, so you can't tell which factory it came out of, theirs or one that makes clones under other brands.

The only 2 Epi's I have left aren't LP's but one's a Samick Korea and the other a Peerless. I tried selling them late last year b/c I was in a....bind...but glad they didn't go. I was asking too much for them, compared to the price of used, newer ones.

tjcurtin1
July 28th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hey, Wingsdad - nice to hear from you! Thanks for the words of experience. As I will soon post, I got the Traditional Pro mentioned above and after setting it up, I am enjoying it. Definitely some dodgy bits in the finish, but it plays well and sounds good and I'm enjoying it.

Best, Ted