PDA

View Full Version : Lost another bass legend

NWBasser
July 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I just read that Bob Babbit, legendary Motown bassist, has passed away after losing a battle to a brain tumor.

Babbit was the heir to the throne of Motown bass following James Jamerson.

For us bass players, he left an indelible mark of groove and tasteful playing.

RIP Mr. Babbit.

R_of_G
July 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Very sad news. Thanks for the great music Mr. Babbit.

NWBasser
July 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
**The news hasn't been confirmed yet. I read it on a posting on Talkbass and although unverified, it seems reasonable given the very poor state of his health.**

NWBasser
July 16th, 2012, 11:44 AM
July 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Motown bassist and Funk Brother Bob Babbitt dies at 74

By Susan Whitall
Detroit News Music Writer
Comments

Bob Babbitt, a bass player for Motown's studio band the Funk Brothers, died at 7:15 a.m. Monday in a Nashville hospice, according to his son, Joe Kreinar. Babbitt was 74.

Born Robert Kreinar in Pittsburgh, the veteran musician had been battling brain cancer for some time.

"He was a tough man, strong," said his son, Joe. "He could take pain. Right now I miss him deeply, and it's only been a few hours."

Although Babbitt's playing was always known by other musicians, his fame spread to a broader audience after the release of the 2002 film about the Funk Brothers, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," in which he appeared.

But he was on many memorable recordings apart from Hitsville U.S.A.

That's him on Del Shannon's "Little Town Flirt," on Gladys Knight's "Midnight Train to Georgia," Funkadelic's "I Just Wanna Testify," "Cool Jerk" by the Capitols, "Rubberband Man" by the Spinners and on Dennis Coffey's instrumental hit "Scorpio." His bass line on the latter song propels the song so memorably, that, as Detroit musician Ralphe Armstrong once said, every bass player in Detroit had to be able to play it in the 1970s or they couldn't get a gig.

At Motown, Babbitt was used more and more in the label's later time in Detroit. He laid down the unforgettable bass lines on Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," the Temptations' "Ball of Confusion," "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye and Edwin Starr's "War," among many others.

Confirmed.

Tig
July 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM
What a huge loss. He was a big part of some great music.
We've lost so many important musicians lately. :(

MAXIFUNK
July 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Scorpio one of the greatest bass lines ever.

NWBasser
July 16th, 2012, 04:08 PM
What a huge loss. He was a big part of some great music.
We've lost so many important musicians lately. :(

I heard that Jon Lord also passed away today.

Katastrophe
July 16th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Sad News...

RIP...

R_of_G
July 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Scorpio one of the greatest bass lines ever.

+1
That whole song is a monster.