PDA

View Full Version : VHT Valvulator

Robert
July 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Know anything about this thing?

http://sfdamp.com/valvulator.html

A store here has it for 70% off.

Sounds like it could be a good thing. Not sure how much difference it would make the tone, but it does serve as a power supply as well.

The VALVULATOR I ™ is a must-have accessory that combines two useful and powerful features, a Vacuum Tube Buffer/Line Driver, and a Multiple Output Regulated DC Power Supply, in a single, convenient, AC-powered unit. The VALVULATOR I ™ is a ruggedly built, compact pedal board and professional/home studio tool that operates on standard AC wall current, NO WALL WARTS, and is housed in a rugged steel chassis topped with a sleek stainless steel vented cover.

Ch0jin
July 16th, 2012, 09:59 PM
H'mm. It does sound cool, but I'm not super sure I want a tube buffer. I think I'm more comfortable with a solid state buffer that doesn't colour the signal like a tube buffer might. Secondly, those DC supplies are pretty low current. I couldn't run my El-Cap, Flint, or Boomerang from an 80mA supply. Probably fine for a dirt pedal, but anything with a bit more going on internally is going to need more than 80mA.

I'd leave it in the store based on my needs/usage.

Robert
July 16th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah I am not sure I'd need it that much, although I sometimes run a bunch of pedals in a row. This will apparently improve the tone a bit for those scenarios.

The main issue is it would mean more stuff on the floor or on the pedalboard... I use Pedaltrain 2, and I should probably just get a PP2 and mount it and be done. They can be mounted under the pedalboard nicely. I have used the 1 Spot Adapter for, like forever it seems like. It does the job fine for me and takes no space.

They had a Modtone power supply for 50% off too. They seem good as well.

Ch0jin
July 17th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I do completely endorse the idea of a buffer in the chain (start, end, both) when you use loads of pedals. I often have dozens of the suckers plugged in at once and an nice clean buffer/boost at the start works well for me. I'm currently using a home made SHO clone (which isn't exactly transparent) right after my tuner.

I'd go down the PP2 route if you got tired of the 1 Spot. I'm a "roll yer own" kinda guy so I'm in the process of building an 8x 300mA pedal board power supply. I needed the extra power as I have a few pedals that draw some fairly heavy current. Both my Strymon's, my Boomerang looper and my (18V) flanger all suck down that DC :)