PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the Past: Verlage Amps

t_ross33
December 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Stumbled on a bit of local history. Ran into an aquaintance at our local music store. He was looking for a 30 or 50W combo amp for playing at home. He said he had a Verlage amp and cab from back in the day, but it was just too freakin' loud for playing around the house (like 50W wouldn't be overkill - LOL!). He thought the amp was made right here in Humboldt (would that qualify as boo-tique? :p).

Did a little digging and came up with THIS (http://www.tone-lizard.com/Verlage_Amplifiers.htm). Sounds like these are loud and CLEAN, as well as pretty rare. Wonder what my RP-80 would sound like run through that stack? :D

If anyone has any experience with these amps, I'd be interested to hear it (though you will be giving your age away - :R).

I'll see if I can't take 'er for a test drive and post a review.

EDIT: More HERE (http://www.fenderbronco.com/id14.html).

Trev

Robert
December 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Wow, cool! I love old amps, especially Canadian amps!

Go and do that test drive and report back to your loyal listeners.

skydt
February 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hello Trev. Noticed your interest in Verlage amps so I joined the site in order to tell you my story, hope it's interesting enough for you. In 1966 I joined a group in Swift current called the Cellmates, left my gear in England ( Vox amp and a Burns Bison guitar) so borrowed a Harmony and bought a Sears Silvertone amp, the amp was lacking everything so decided to upgrade immediately, my friend and lead guitarist Mike Dickie from Pennant Sask advised me he knew a place in Humbolt Sask that was making custom amps, so we all piled in Mikes car and went to Humbolt to meet Ken Verlage, his shop was in the basement as I recall of this large building, sawdust everywhere cabinets being built! It's a long time ago and and not as clear as I thought it should be, but I remember being shown a pamphlet of a VTR 100 and a cabinet with two db130 L's lansings of course, so I bought it, to be made and delivered in three weeks, had a custom fuzz tone built into the head on the right side where the green light goes on the standard ones, the cabinet had a folding stand that fitted in the back. I paid $920.00 back in 1966 a fortune in it's day to have it delivered to Swift Current (this was only the second unit he had made of this size at the, time the first one went to a group called the Lords in Edmonton which I understood at the time was promptly stolen) It arrived safely and we all checked it out thoroughly, It was the most powerful and clean sounding amp I had ever heard. Ran a Fender Jazzmaster through it eventually what a combination in it's day. The band finally broke as members went to university to make a real living and I sold the amp to a gentleman in Calgary. Wish I had that particular amp back! In later years I decided to play at home to just relive some of my misspent youth, and lo and behold a gent I had known for many years mentioned he had an amp for sale cheap and I should come and have a look, so I did and it was a VTR 100 Verlage with 4x12 cabinet, needless to say I bought it right away, it's probably due to be checked and cleaned up mechanicaly today but it still has that powerful clean old tube type sound. I would be interested in talking to the gentlenman you mention that has a too loud Verlage. I hope this is interesting enough for you. Some photos of the amp in 1966 are on the Fabulous Flares website, if you are interested I can email you current photos of this unit. have a good one Cheers!

Stuart

t_ross33
February 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Great story Stu! Welcome to the Fret. Great to see someone else from Skatch! :AOK:

I'll mention you to my aquaintance - who knows eh?

Oddly enough, our local music store just sold a Verlage head on consignment. Not sure where it came from, but it was pretty beaten up. The label said something about Verlage being made in Regina, so it would be one of the later ones. Some young dude from Saskatoon bought it and an old Traynor stack.

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
February 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Cool story Stuart! Now that you've arrived, why don't strap on a guitar twist that knob to TOO LOUD & jam with us a spell.