PDA

View Full Version : Penn state slammed

piebaldpython
July 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Penn State Slammed by NCAA:
$60 M fine---the equivalent of 1 yr football revenue
Loss of 10 scholarships/yr for 4 yrs
No post-season play for 4 yrs
All wins 1998-2011 vacated and Joe Pa is no longer the winningest coach in college football

There may be more stuff but that's all I can remember.

R_of_G
July 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
I believe one of the other conditions is that current players are allowed to transfer to other schools without incurring any eligibility penalties.

MAXIFUNK
July 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
They are lucky it was not worst. They deserve any and every thing they get.

Bookkeeper's Son
July 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
My hope is that thought and consideration will be given about a culture where winning is so important that it supercedes decency. This goes way beyond PSU - we see this all over our societies, whether it be sports, business, government........

R_of_G
July 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
My hope is that thought and consideration will be given about a culture where winning is so important that it supercedes decency. This goes way beyond PSU - we see this all over our societies, whether it be sports, business, government........

Replace "winning" with "money" in that and I couldn't agree more.

Tig
July 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM

I agree with both. College sports has become a multi billion entertainment industry.
Also, I have a problem with coaches getting paid millions while the best professors get a fraction of that.

Duffy
July 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
They are . . . . . Penn State !

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Whether it comes down to money, power, prestige, personal accomplishment, or however else a person "keeps score", when self interest (whether singular or collective in nature) becomes all-important, bad, bad things happen.

R_of_G
July 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Whether it comes down to money, power, prestige, personal accomplishment, or however else a person "keeps score", when self interest (whether singular or collective in nature) becomes all-important, bad, bad things happen.

Well said.