PDA

View Full Version : Thin nylons

SuperSwede
December 19th, 2006, 03:52 AM
I´m eyeing for a thinner nylon string guitar with a "decent" plugged in sound, what options are available? I have a traditional acoustic nylon string guitar but it feels very bulky to use and transport.

Justaguyin_nc
December 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I guess you have heard of the Line 6 Variax 300 nylon? Very thin.. and adjustable for sound.. looks to be getting pretty good reviews. about $600.00 new though.

Line 6 Variax 300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEG10NETNG-Nylon-String-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519992

I enjoy my Ibanez AE10N, although it is weak unplugged it has a nice sound while plugged. I bought a SWR Acoustic amp to make it sound even better. I have since sold that amp finding the sounds I wanted with just a fender cyber amp. has both xlr and 1/4 outputs with built in eq and tuner.. changed strings to ball end nylons and it holds its tuning pretty well.. and its only $300.00 new and 200-250 used on ebay.. Much more comfortable than the dreadnought. thinner neck than the traditional.. holding up pretty good.

Ibanez AEG10NETG
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEG10NETNG-Nylon-String-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519992

SuperSwede
December 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
The AEG10 looks nice, but how thick is it? I want something that is much slimmer than the standard nylon guitars.

Justaguyin_nc
December 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
The AEG10 looks nice, but how thick is it? I want something that is much slimmer than the standard nylon guitars.

it's all of 3 inches thick.. just measured it for you..:) I have a problem with thick guitars like dreads... my arm actually falls asleep while strumming from holding it up.. (poor blood?) this feels very comfortable to hold and play for me.. Im not a big guy..

SuperSwede
December 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks, 3 inches could work for me...
You could try to inject small doses of black coffee into your arm to prevent it from falling asleep.

Lunaray
February 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I´m eyeing for a thinner nylon string guitar with a "decent" plugged in sound, what options are available? I have a traditional acoustic nylon string guitar but it feels very bulky to use and transport.Hello SuperSwede,

I'm new to this forum and I just saw your thread, it's a little dated, so you might've already made a choice, but I'll throw in my thoughts anyway.

I learned to play on an old Washburn antique with nylon strings, then I aquired a Yamaha classical and progressed with it. Then I bought my first new acoustic, an Ovation thin bodied 1983 Collector's Series and to this day, I still love it, it has a very fast narrow neck and I'm simply amazed at how much volume I get with such a thin guitar. Still, I missed the warm cozy feel of nylon strings, so I began my search.

I looked at a lot of classicals but finding one with a narrow neck was a real challenge, there's a few out there, but not many, and I couldn't afford a custom made guitar. I finally decided on an Epiphone Masterbuilt EN-546CE. I took my chances and bought it sight-unseen on eBay and I don't regret it, she's a beauty. At first I was surprized at the size, it's a small guitar, but very comfortable and having one of the narrowest nuts I could find. Having a small body, it doesn't put out as much volume as a full blown classical, but it's all solid wood and I expect that it will open up with age.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new luv. Hope you're as lucky as I was at finding what you want.

Childbride
February 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
:) Hiya, Ray, good to c'ya.

you need to go over to 'the Fret Players' and introduce yourself properly to everyone! ;)

these folks are really wonderfully nice and there's tons of knowledge and support here! :pancake:

Lunaray
February 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
:) Hiya, Ray, good to c'ya.

you need to go over to 'the Fret Players' and introduce yourself properly to everyone! ;)

these folks are really wonderfully nice and there's tons of knowledge and support here! :pancake:
Thanks CB, I'll do that! It's really nice to see all these familiar names! :bravo:

wingsdad
February 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hey, Ray...howdy, great to see ya here :)

And that Epi IS a great guitar for SS to consider...I 'member when you were hunting and found it...

I'd suggest a Washburn NV100C could be worth a look, since I'm fond of mine, Semi-solid. But a good one could be tough to find, only made for 3 years, I think, disco'd in '04.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/NV100C34f1x4.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/NV100Cbk1x4.jpg

Lunaray
February 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hey, Ray...howdy, great to see ya here :)

And that Epi IS a great guitar for SS to consider...I 'member when you were hunting and found it...

I'd suggest a Washburn NV100C could be worth a look, since I'm fond of mine, Semi-solid. But a good one could be tough to find, only made for 3 years, I think, disco'd in '04.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/NV100C34f1x4.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/NV100Cbk1x4.jpgGood to hear from you Wings, I was wondering what happened to you.

That NV100C looks pretty nice, I don't understand why Washburn has all but given up on nylon string guitars.

Glad I made it here!

SuperSwede
February 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks... I still havent bought a new nylon string guitar. I do not care too much of the lack of volume unplugged since I intend to mostly use it for recordings.

Algonquin
February 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks... I still havent bought a new nylon string guitar. I do not care too much of the lack of volume unplugged since I intend to mostly use it for recordings.

Ohhh, a guitar... Phew!

I thought you were looking for fashion advice.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes: )

SuperSwede
February 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ohhh, a guitar... Phew!

I thought you were looking for fashion advice.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes: )

I only wear nylons on fridays along with my leather skirt..