PDA

View Full Version : probably a ridiculous question

zodiac71
December 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
getting ready to re-wire my first project guitar. It is a Squire Tele Custom (thanks to those that have all ready helped!) and I have a quick question about the caps

Since it is a H/H guitar, the Orange Drop .022uf would be a good replacement, no?

Also, when I go to Radio Shack or wherever to get some wire, what would be the best replacement wiring?

Sorry if these seem like simple questions, but you never know if you dont ask.

Thanks, guys.

Tone2TheBone
December 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I would think 22 gauge solid wire or even braided wire would work. Maybe some a little thicker but that should be good enough, as long as your solder joints are good. Make sure you use soldering flux on your connections. The cap should be fine.

Tim
December 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I would think 22 gauge solid wire or even braided wire would work. Maybe some a little thicker but that should be good enough, as long as your solder joints are good. Make sure you use soldering flux on your connections. The cap should be fine.

Yep ... 18 - 22 gage is just fine. Make sure it is the shielded kind. Forget RS for caps. The people who work there don know caps from crap. As Tone mention, the cap you suggested is also fine.

zodiac71
December 19th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I was going to order the caps from GFS, but figured I could just get the wire local.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Plank_Spanker
December 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I used 22 gauge wire on my last two projects - works like a champ. One thing that I've done with caps is to solder alligator clip leads to the pots and run the leads to where I can clip on caps while I play. You can try out different values without tearing the guitar down every time you switch. Caps make a noticeable difference in sound.

Take it away, DVM!.....................................:D

carp3nt3r
December 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
isnt Ratshack's motto something about stupid looks are free?

seriously, the help there wont know much about the components they sell as a former bench repair technician, believe me, you're better off following your hunches then to follow any advice you get there. tin your wires with the solder and make good mechanical connections prior to soldering.carefull to solder only where its needed as solder has a way of creeping down into places its not needed and thus can cause circuits not to work. look on the web for soldering pointers if you are not comfortable with your abilities. there are some great F.A.Q.s out there concerning soldering.

carp3nt3r :)

Johnny Z
January 11th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I use solid telephone wire for all the pot and switch functions. I got bunches of it for free, from the phone guy. It works very well.

ShortBuSX
January 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Why not just do it right? Or make it better? I mean youre gonna put in all that effort to rewire it *shrug*

This is the route Im going:
Allparts part #GW_0832-000
Vintage Style Cloth Covered Wire Set, 3-1/2' Black & 3-1/2' White
Retail Price: $5.00
http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=552&cat_name=WIRE

From my own searches online, I cant seem to find any decent capcitors(I need two .033uf and one 1uf 400v)...but have been told Radioshack is a good source for those...can anybody confirm? Or suggest an online source for what Im looking for?