PDA

View Full Version : Original Tune: The Villain

bleakerthanyou
August 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Feedback welcome.

www.soundcloud.com/the-stones-throw/the-villain

helliott
August 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Love the full band sound. Cupla things: Vocals need to be eq'd up a little, maybe just boost the mids? And as much as I like the guitar stuff going on, it's all about the same level and feels muddy at times. I'd back off some of the stuff and let one part, perhaps the echo-ey arpeggio part, stand out a bit more. Or let the various guitar parts take turns dominating at times. Right now it's a bit liike a wall of sound without enough highlights. Overall a terrific tune though. (Maybe fix the link so we don't have to cut and paste into browser?)

bleakerthanyou
August 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Love the full band sound. Cupla things: Vocals need to be eq'd up a little, maybe just boost the mids? And as much as I like the guitar stuff going on, it's all about the same level and feels muddy at times. I'd back off some of the stuff and let one part, perhaps the echo-ey arpeggio part, stand out a bit more. Or let the various guitar parts take turns dominating at times. Right now it's a bit liike a wall of sound without enough highlights. Overall a terrific tune though. (Maybe fix the link so we don't have to cut and paste into browser?)

Funny you should mention those things, haha.....my little yellow legal pad full of notes agrees with you lol. This was my first attempt at mixing, and I've learned a lot since then. I def agree about the vox. Regarding the rest of the mix, I think I used EZdrummer for the drums, and tommorow night i'm having my drummer and bass player lay down their tracks, since theres currently no bass either. Once I have a bassline in there, I'd like to drop down to "airy" guitar, drums and bass during the verses. Your comments have motivated me to revisit this song though, so thanks for that. At the very least I'm an amateur producer but I'm working on doing justice to my songs and they could all use a little dynamic sprucing up. I will post a new mix when I'm done and hopefully I can bring a lot of dynamics into it. Love to hear your thoughts when I repost it.