PDA

View Full Version : Mic In Amp

Glacies
August 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
If I match the impedance, can I use a Y cable into my amp with my guitar and the mic on the opposite end? How crappy will that sound?

deeaa
August 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM
No harm in testing it.

Chances are one or the other is hugely louder a signal to the amp, since you can't mix them. With luck it's gonna be in the ballpark. Naturally the mic sound is gonna be colored hugely but it won't hurt to try. The only thing that could happen is you might be able to overdrive the amp input too much with the mic signal, but you'll know from the distortion level if it's too much well before anything breaks. And might be prone to feeding back like a mutha if played any louder.

I've seen a street musician play an acoustic with a magnetic pickup and a vocal mic both patched to a battery-driven Pignose, and the result was very much old blues indeed, kinda like listening to a gramophone recording, but it worked well for blues anyway.

Glacies
August 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM
It's a 50W I'll be patching through so I think I have plenty of headroom. I'm just looking for some extra options. I am assuming one signal will be grossly louder than the other like you mention though.

jtees4
August 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM
You need some sort of mini mixer to make it sound right probably. But it certainly doesn't hurt to simply plug in and give it a try.