PDA

View Full Version : John Hiatt and Steve Earle live + new Hiatt cd

tjcurtin1
August 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Saw both these guys and bands last night from great seats at one of those 'music tent' venues. Both had great bands with terrific musicians. Kind of hard to make out Earle's lyrics - his beard and/or accent? He has a great drummer, and two sharp youngsters on guitar and fiddle. I'm not that familiar with Earle, thought I want to hear more of him after last night. I had the sense from some of his comments and the few lyrics I could make out, that he is an interesting writer.

Hiatt was really cooking - he played a set of terrific songs from across his career, just what I might have picked for a set list myself. He played less of his newer stuff, but one new song (Blues can't even find me) from a to-be-released in September cd (Mystic Pinball) which was great. He was selling a 'tour' version of the cd in a sleeve w/out liner notes for $8. so I grabbed a copy. It's a great Hiatt disc, with a lot of crunchy, dirty guitar on some pretty hard rocking tunes, some nice greasy slide work and even one tune with some gritty wah-wah (no liner notes but sounds like it could be his guitarist in the touring Combo, Doug Lancio) and a couple of beautiful ballady acoustic pieces. Better than that, it's got some really strong songs lyrically speaking. A great Hiatt story-song, as I call them (my favorites in his catalog), this one with quite a wild twist, entitled 'Wood Chipper' - I leave it to your imagination... When he mentioned the tour cd's he laughed and said something like, "you can burn copies for friends or put it on Youtube, I don't care!", so have a look and maybe someone will put some up...

Hiatt was in great form, full of energy and good humor. No problem making out lyrics, so I guess it wasn't the sound system or my ears that were the problem in Earle's set...;) .Lancio was looking very laid back, almost sleepy, but his playing was blistering. A great show all around! Interesting to note that while Lancio had a well-loaded pedal board, Hiatt appeared to play his Tele straight - no pedals to be seen.

Robert
August 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Cool review, thanks!

That would be fun to see, indeed. I saw Earle here in Camrose not long ago, and he was interesting. He's funny, and he speaks his mind about politics and such things. Great songwriter, of course.

Need to look for that Hiatt CD then! Sounds like a must have.

helliott
August 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Great review. Too bad about Earle's vocals not coming through the mix. I've been a fan of both these guys forever. Underappreciated talents in my view. Thanks for sharing this.

R_of_G
August 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the review TJ. I love both of those guys, particularly Earle.

There's a great episode in the second season of Treme where Earle's character takes his songwriting protege to a Hiatt show, and uses Hiatt's lyrics to show how great songs are often the ones with lyrics that transcend specific circumstances and are more universally applicable. It's a skill both Hiatt and Earle have mastered.

kidsmoke
August 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Definitely something to keep my eyes peeled for. Two living/touring legends in my book.

poodlesrule
August 21st, 2012, 05:11 AM
I wanted to go to same concert (on Robert's good words) but BIL's wife decided to kick him out, so we had to haul furniture and provide comfort instead...

Other: TJ, at same venue (Scituate), late September, check out Brother Sun, three singer-songwriters who decided to go as a group.
Classy, soulful, spirited.
We saw them earlier this year and have tickets to this show!

Jipes
August 21st, 2012, 05:30 AM
That sounds like great news I've been a fan of Mr Hiatt's music since 15 years and he almost never disappointed me too bad that I couldn't catch him live :( He is touring very seldomly in Europe it seems

tjcurtin1
August 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Poodlesrule - I saw Pat Wictor of Brother Sun in a coffee house here in Plymouth about 2 years ago. He plays a Guild dred with a slide set up like a dobro - beautiful playing and as you said, very soulful singing and songwriting. Have been meaning to catch this group for awhile. BTW, do you ever get down to any of the shows at the Narrows in Fall River - fabulous venue! Coming in October - Jorma Kaukonen and the same week, Loudon Wainright III. also Chris Smithers.

Further listenings to the new Hiatt disc make me like it more and more. There are a number of standout songs on it.