PDA

View Full Version : New to guitar, new to the board.

jasongins
December 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hi all....

My name is Jason, age 33, from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. I am new to the guitar (started a month ago), and new to this board. I must thank Robert for his review and video demonstration of the Squier '51, which were "instrumental" in my chosing the '51 in sunburst for my first guitar (technically not my first - I had one when I was 13 but didn't get very far). When I first started looking, the '51 was $150. When it dropped to $99, my decision was made. I've been taking lessons online due to my long work hours, but I think I will be seeking the help of a teacher after the new year. I am not entirely sure what possessed me to start playing the guitar at 33 years of age, but at this point I am hooked regardless of the fact that I am just practicing chord switching and some scales.

Also, I must know... what does "GAS" mean/stand for?

-Jason

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Hi all....

My name is Jason, age 33, from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. I am new to the guitar (started a month ago), and new to this board. I must thank Robert for his review and video demonstration of the Squier '51, which were "instrumental" in my chosing the '51 in sunburst for my first guitar (technically not my first - I had one when I was 13 but didn't get very far). When I first started looking, the '51 was $150. When it dropped to $99, my decision was made. I've been taking lessons online due to my long work hours, but I think I will be seeking the help of a teacher after the new year. I am not entirely sure what possessed me to start playing the guitar at 33 years of age, but at this point I am hooked regardless of the fact that I am just practicing chord switching and some scales.

Also, I must know... what does "GAS" mean/stand for?

-Jason

Welcome!! I am relatively new to guitar too, and did not get serious about learning until age 43, although I started a little in my 30s. GAS means Gear Acquisition Syndrome, an affliction wherein one is possessed, compelled or otherwise drawn by an overwhelming force to shop for, purchase or acquire new gear. In this forum, that means guitar stuff, though other types of gear may apply in individual cases. I also am somehow compelled to be wordy! :p Anyway, welcome. It is a nice place for us newbies. The talent and knowledge here is outstanding, and the folks are awesome.

jasongins
December 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
.... GAS means Gear Acquisition Syndrome, an affliction wherein one is possessed, compelled or otherwise drawn by an overwhelming force to shop for, purchase or acquire new gear...

I suspected it had something to do with that. In fact, I already suffer from it. I am constantly drooling over what is available despite the fact that I can't play much yet. The sales on Squiers on overstock.com have been difficult to resist, but I think I want to hang on awhile to see if they get any other models.

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I suspected it had something to do with that. In fact, I already suffer from it. I am constantly drooling over what is available despite the fact that I can't play much yet. The sales on Squiers on overstock.com have been difficult to resist, but I think I want to hang on awhile to see if they get any other models.

I drool over an overstock Squire '51 to add to my guitars. Maybe later. Must resist . . .

ted s
December 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Welcome Jason ! Glad to see you here. Great place, great people.
Steve failed to mention that there is no cure for GAS, you can only temporarily relieve the symptoms.

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Welcome Jason! The only "cure" for GAS is to keep buying stuff!

Glad you joined us, you will like it here as Warren will tell you soon (inside joke) :).

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Steve failed to mention that there is no cure for GAS, you can only temporarily relieve the symptoms.
Which ends up feeding the disease in the end anyway.

A hearty welcome from me...

although you can't *really* consider yourself welcomed until you get a form welcome from our beloved Warren. :D

t_ross33
December 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I think GAS is incurable (though the "Significant Other" tearing you a new one might slow you down now and again :D ). This forum should have come with a warning label as it does absolutely NOTHING to ease GAS pain.

For example, I finally grabbed a semi-hollowbody (Washburn HB-30) after drooling over online pictures for some time. I don't even have it home yet and I'm already cruising the Bay for a) a sunburst '51 and b) a maple neck Tele.

My wife's expression looks kinda like :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Anyway...

Good to have you on board!

Trev

P.S. PM me if you need to unload that '51 - ha ha!

P.P.S. No, seriously.

Hogfullofblues
December 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hey Jason. Don't sweat the starting guitar at 33 thing, I'm a recent start too and am....ahem, cough, cough, older than that. I would take the GAS seriously though. Shortly after joining this forum, I acquired all my Christmas presents very quickly and months prior to the holiday. At least that's how I got it by my wife, but now nothing under the tree for me except socks and underware. But it was worth it.
Great place other than that so come on in! (I won't say tune up again - Warren is coming-shhh)

stingx
December 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hey Jason...

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/15.gif

jasongins
December 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Regarding GAS, I think I need to come clean now. After I got my '51, a friend who is an accomplished guitarist recommended I get some distortion pedals so as to sound less bland. I went to his house to see some for a demonstration of what he had. I then promptly ordered a ProCo Rat2. It came d.o.a., so I am awaiting the replacement. I also now have a Danelectro Cool Cat chorus pedal and the French Toast octave distortion (came as a package for only $10 more than the Cool Cat alone). I also expect to receive more guitar related stuff at the family holiday get togethers.

warren0728
December 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
welcome jason....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ok is everybody happy now! :D :p :D

ww

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Welcome! Don't worry about Warren... unless he asks if you want some pancackes.;) :eek: :D

Congrats on the '51... and welcome to the wonderful affliction of guitar playing!

Spudman
December 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM

I FOUND A CURE FOR GAS! Sort of. If I just keep drinking heavily then I have absolutely no desire to buy anything. So it works for me. It might not be your bag, but I've had a liver transplant so this one should hold up for a while.

Of course I'm full of crap but that's my way of welcoming you to the forum.

Hi!:)

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
...i think you will like it here....

ok is everybody happy now! :D :p :D

ww

I think you might as well put it in your signature line, or under your Avatar. :D

SixStringJoe
December 20th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Glad to have you on board Jason. I guess you've heard it from veterans here about GAS and other possible communicable diseases :D I've heard the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Wonder who came up with that crazy notion :o Have fun

Tim
December 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Hey Jason...

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/15.gif

Oh how I love this Welcoming sign. Nice job String"

duhvoodooman
December 20th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Welcome, Jason. I know Warren likes it here and I think you will, too. And you're never too old to start bangin' on the gitfiddle!! :DR

Tim
December 20th, 2006, 05:34 AM
For example, I finally grabbed a semi-hollowbody (Washburn HB-30) after drooling over online pictures for some time. I don't even have it home yet and I'm already cruising the Bay for a) a sunburst '51 and b) a maple neck Tele.

Hey T-Ross – Congratulations on the HB-30. You will fall in love with that guitar. It has that nice warm jazz flavor tone to it. Also, those Hum Buckers are hot, so watch the volume when you first plug her in. Post a picture once she arrives at her new home.

Tim
December 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I think you might as well put it in your signature line, or under your Avatar. :D

Great idea Sunvalleylaw!!

But Warren … make the font as small as you can make it.

Tim
December 20th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Now to the real post on this thread.

Welcome Jasongins (Jason). I started playing the guitar about 3 years ago. Back then I was 54 years old. So, one is never too old to start.

I am shocked that a new one month old player and a brand new member to the Fret Net and already you have been infected with GAS. It goes to show that GAS has no boundaries or limits.

Watch out for Warren. Watch out for Warren. He will have you repeating yourself. You will know what we mean as new members sign into our forum.

Welcome Jasongins.

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
IFor example, I finally grabbed a semi-hollowbody (Washburn HB-30) after drooling over online pictures for some time.
That is another in the long list of posible future "my gitfiddles". That or the HB32.

Jason,

I first picked up the guitar (in fact any instrument at all) almost exactly a year ago. Christmas day 2005. I'm learning by myself (never had a lesson) and I'm having a blast. Sooner or later, I'll even be able to play. :D

& now that Warren has welcomed you...you are full & truly welcomed!

t_ross33
December 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
That or the HB32

The 32 is cool, being "distressed" and all, but I just had to have the Cherry finish with the nice creamy binding... (insert drooling smiley here) :p

One tone pot was a bit scratchy so that's being repaired/replaced. Hoping to get my little Cherry Bomb home before the weekend. She's gonna look so freakin' suh-weet under my Christmas tree! :R

Now if only I had an amp... <burp>

M29
January 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome Jason, This is a great place for early guitarists as well as experienced guitarists. That is what I like about this site, you feel welcome no matter what stage you are at.

Keep on strummin!

M29