PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing lack of Marshall posts...

Katastrophe
December 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I was looking at amphs today (for no good reason, other than GAS striking again), and started looking at Marshalls. They have quite a heritage of some fairly well known players...;) Who here owns one? Model? Combo or stack? Who's you're favorite Marshall player?

Discuss!

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Favorite Marshall player? How abut James Marshall Hendrix! Now he DEFINED the Marshall sound.

Too bad the good ones cost so much. I wouldn't mind having the new Super JH Jimi Hendrix head and matching cab...

Tone2TheBone
December 19th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Me got one. It's a Marshall Silver Jubilee combo, Model 2558. 50 watts of beautiful brown tone, 2 - Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. You can half the power from 50 watts to 25 watts. Has cascading channel switching and currently needs new power tubes.

And here is my 60s bottom straight cabinet (which was painted over long time ago twice)...loaded with 4 Celestion 25 watt Greenback speakers.

I would also have to say that Jimi Hendrix was my favorite Marshall artist. Big large sound. Although Jimmy Page used various amphs such as Orange and Supro he did utilize the power of Marshalls. Numerous acts come to mind as images of full stacks, the width of the stage, with power lamps on cutting through the dark. Then the ear splitting intros of my favorite bands echoing through the venue at high volume. Yee hawwww! Nothing says we love you more than a hearts on fire Marshall. :)

Spudman
December 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I have one too.
A JMP 50 watt 2 x 12 combo. I bought it in new 1978 and took it all over the USA and Canada. I made a living (if you can call it that) with it and now it sits in it's road case in the basement. It has the old gray grille cloth and I carefully sprayed it flat black. It looks much better on a stage with the black grille and the bold white Marshall script across the front. The last time it was out and breathing it was used as back line for Eric Burdon and the New Animals with Ansley Dunbar on drums. Then I put it away and have been using a Crate Vintage Club 50212 instead. The are similar sounding when the Crate is on the dirty channel.

Robert
December 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
When I was 16 or so, I bought a nice Marshall 50 combo, but I was stupid enough to trade it for some crap that looked cool. Why are we so dumb when we are young?

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Two of my favorite Marshall artists are:

1) Rob Jiron
2) Jimi Hendrix

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Two of my favorite Marshall artists are:

1) Rob Jiron
2) Jimi Hendrix

Man, you guyz are always pulling some new name outta' the hat.

Time to look into Rob Jiron. I've never heard of him.

Spudman
December 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Man, you guyz are always pulling some new name outta' the hat.

Time to look into Rob Jiron. I've never heard of him.

Rob is one of those stealth artists. He's the man behind the scenes. No one knows what he really looks like. Some say he may be one of Santa's original elves. However, he is widely known for his philanthropic pursuits. Children everywhere say a warm 'thank you' to Rob every night as they go to bed. Although not widely known, he is widely appreciated.

Robert
December 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Rob Jiron is a really nice guy too. He never had a Billboard top 10 yet (but it might happen soon).

marnold
December 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
When I was looking at amphs I tried a low-end Marshall combo (MG30?), for the name if nothing else. While I didn't much care for the distorted sound, the clean sound with a single coil pickup was very nice indeed. I just could get more cool tones out of my Vox for the same price.

Unrelated: Egads! I just noticed that this is my 400th post.

SuperSwede
December 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Rob Jiron is a really nice guy too. He never had a Billboard top 10 yet (but it might happen soon).

Yes, his latest release "The Albuquerque Experience" is brilliant.

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
....and my next project will be a compilation of various hits of the '70s with the Santa Fe Philharmonic. We'll be exploring the musical genres of the psychohistorical significance of self enduced gravitational phenomenon...otherwise known as skater music.

LMAO (had me a good laugh when I came in this morning.)

PS - IT SNOWED!

Nelskie
December 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Favorite Marshall player? How abut James Marshall Hendrix! Now he DEFINED the Marshall sound . . .
True - - Jimi's Marshall tone was certainly one of the best. As for definitive, though, I think that honor belongs to none other than Eric Clapton, courtesy of his work on the Beano album (1966). Clapton's sound on that album (1960 Les Paul through a 1962 2x12 Marshall JTM-45) is what put the over-driven Marshall sound on the radar. Following his departure from Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Clapton would push Marshall tone to even more inspiring heights with his work in Cream.

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/dualstacks.htm

As for how the Marshall stack came about, here's an interesting little article I'd found some time ago on the web. Not coincidentally, it involves the man who stands at the headwaters of loud . . . Pete Townshend. Check it out here:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/05/02/023355.php

A favorite Marshall player - for me it would be EVH. Not only did he coin the fantastic term "Brown Sound" (which is now part of our standard guitar terminology), the juggernaut of sound he unleashed with his Marshall Plexi / Variac set-up has been widely touted as the quintessential modern rock sound. I tend to agree. I'm also very pleased to have a model of that very rig on my PODxt, too! (as well as Jimi's 1968 Super Lead & a 1966 JTM-45 similar to Clapton's Beano rig.)

All four of these guitarists made rock n' roll history using Marshall tone. Oddly enough, though, not one member of this legendary group of players stayed exclusive to the Marshall tone. Early in his career, Jimi used amps made by Silvertone, Burns, and Fender, and later on, Sound City and Sunn.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8157/jhgear.html

Clapton has also used a variety of amplifiers, to include Fender, Soldano, Selmer, and Cornell.

http://www.whereseric.com/ecfaq/guitars-amps/guitars-amps-amplifiers-effects-pedals-wahwah-marshall-vox.html

EVH, of course, had a long-time endorsement deal with Peavey, and has also used Soldano amplifiers.

http://www.vhvault.com/mr5150/evh-brown-sound.html

Pete has played a lot of different equipment, and is most commonly associated with his legendary backline of Hiwatt amplifiers.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/guitar/equip-townshendgear-intro.html

Kudos to Kat for the glimpse of reality. Now I'm off to Pizza Hut for a some of their world-famous fried chicken. ;)

oldguy
December 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Rob Jiron is a very well-known artist in the underground. It is rumoured that he may have once worked for the government and had access to area 51.
He also is a computer whiz, and it's a widely circulated rumour that he may be working on a new high speed internet that will allow people in remote areas to access the web.

Oldslowhand
December 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM
True - - Jimi's Marshall tone was certainly one of the best. As for definitive, though, I think that honor belongs to none other than Eric Clapton, courtesy of his work on the Beano album (1966). Clapton's sound on that album (1960 Les Paul through a 1962 2x12 Marshall JTM-45) is what put the over-driven Marshall sound on the radar. Following his departure from Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Clapton would push Marshall tone to even more inspiring heights with his work in Cream.
Eric was also using a top boost pedal in the Bluesbreakers I believe it was a Dallas top boost, that was were those great harmonics came from also it was fitted with KT 66 power tubes which Marshall stoped using shortly afterwards funny that we all tried to get that tone from EL34's

Cranium
December 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Robin Trower
Hendrix
Yngwie Malmsteen
Angus Young
Billy Gibbons
Gary Moore
Slash
Zack Wylde
EVH

And a ton of others.

r_a_smith3530
December 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Although these days, my favorites tend to lean towards those who play (or played) either Fender or some other brand, I would have to say that my favorite guitar recordings using Marshall amps are those made by Clapton, Hendrix, and Gibbons.

It's funny, I've plugged into a Marshall on several ocassions, but never had a Jones to own one. Hmm, curious... probably that part of me which is so into Chicago Blues!

Katastrophe
December 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM
For me, lately, it's been the dynamic duo of Angus and Malcom Young. Amp tone at its purest. I've been listening to some Back in Black lately, and that rhythm tone is outstanding.

I would have put Yngwie up there if asked years ago.

What got me started on this was I watched a video clip of a guy playing a Strat type guitar through one of the MG100DFX - H head/cabinet packages. For a hybrid (there is a tube lurking around in there, I think), the tones were really cool, and the price is great for a half stack. My next foray into Austin will probably include a trip to Guitar Center, so I can try one out, even though I can't afford it.

Do you think they'll sell one to me at a reduced "blem" rate if I drool on it excessively?;) :D