PDA

View Full Version : Another new axe man

Spudman
December 22nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
Greeting y'all.

Yup, I'm from the south...southern Idaho.
I'm glad to be part of this community. Seems like a right nice bunch a blokes.

So who am I? Have you heard of Deep Purple? Loverboy? Rush? Well I've never played with any of them, but I like their records.
I'm another one of those guys who used to play every day for a living that now works on something else and plays to stay alive.
I've collected plenty of gear and sold plenty too along the way. I stay healthy and active. I became a pro cyclist when I got off the road. I back pack and climb mountains around central Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

I'm now trying to learn how to record at home with my computer and Lexicon Omega and Stienberg Cubase. If anyone knows how to shorten the learning curve on that please let me know.

I look forward to meeting and talking with you all.

Peace.

Robert
December 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Warm Welcome, Potato Guy!
I know a bit about Cubase, hope I can help.
Pro Cyclist, that's interesting! I'm a runner myself, ran Portland marathon in October.
Have fun here at our fret board!

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Welcome Spudman!

May I suggest you learn "Private Idaho" fromthe B-52s? That is an awesome tune! :)

Tim
December 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hello Spuds,

Welcome to the family.

Guitar-Chris
December 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Greeting y'all.

Yup, I'm from the south...southern Idaho.

Hey, let me welcome you. Hm, Southern Idaho sounds to me good as thinking of weather, as we have the typical wet and cold german winter, grrr.....Since we seldom have snow, we had a snow desaster 3 weeks ago in our part of germany. Nearly half of our county was without energy for 4 days!

And as a member of our county crisis committee we worked all the weekend long day and night.

Oh sorry my thoughts are driftig away... don't want to hijack this thread.

SuperSwede
December 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Welcome spudman!

Nelskie
December 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Spudman - I extend to you a warm, starchy welcome. We raise a lot of spuds out in the Red River Valley of Eastern North Dakota, so we already have that in common. I am also a big Deep Purple / Rainbow fan - as a matter of fact, "Smoke On The Water" was the very first song I learned to play on guitar (but isn't that every guitarist's first song??). BTW - what kind of cycling do you do - on or off road?

Spudman
December 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Wow! What a great bunch of guys (any gals?) Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Und welkommen.

First to Nelskie - Devils Lake and Jamestown. Lived there when I was a kid. My grandparents are from ND. I bought my first good guitar, a Strat hardtail ash, across the river in Moorehead in 1975.

SuperSwede - Yes, the good ol days. At least if you didn't wear them out you could just leave town and go to the next gig.

Guitar-Chris - enshuldigung Sie mine kinderschule Deutsch. Ich bin krank und murde.

Tim - Howdy. I do miss Panama City. I was born in south east Alabama and PC was the fun beach just down the road. I noticed you have a Squier Tele Custom. I just got a Squier Tele Special Walnut and love it. I'm thinking of a Custom II with the P90's next. Musicians Friend has a 1 1/2 year no interest special right now. Hmmm.

Tremoloman - What?! learn a new song? I dunno. How many chords does it have? Do I have to learn the lyrics too. BTW how much does the gig pay?

Robert - Thanks a ton for the warm welcome and to you all. Also, thanks for helping me to get myself working on the board. I used to do the long distance running thing too...untill I found out that you could eat and drink while riding the bike. Oh man! I was hooked. Ride 4 hours eating all the way then come home and chow down like a ravenous goat. That's the life for me. Bikes are like guitars too and you can pimp them out with aftermarket goodies.

Nelskie
December 29th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Then you probably bought your guitar at Marguerite's Music, my friend. Most of my relatives hail from around the Devils Lake area - Maddock, ND (SW of Minnewaukan, ND - about (25) miles or so from DL) - kinda' in that area. And my wife is from Jamestown (Class of '85). Myself, I hail from the capitol city - Bismarck. My bike: 1998 Gary Fisher Paragon MTB (black). Love the biking thing!

Spudman
December 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Nelskie - So kewl (I just had to try that). Someone else who "rocks" and "rolls".

I have more bikes than I should. I've been in the business for 2 decades. My main rides off road are Schwinn Homegrown and Voodoo Bizango. I'm not sure how much longer my backsides can take the pounding of our Idaho terrain so I'm starting to lean towards a dual suspension ride next time. I only have the hardtails because they are sponsorship deals (read free).
My road bikes are a custom Mesa Foco and a brand new Specialized Roubaix.

My grandfather had a store right outside of Ft. Totten. He would sell vanilla extract and cologne to the Indians. I wonder why they bought so much of it?
My grand parents had a home in Lakewood which is now only feet from the water. Which leads me to the big question, why would anyone divert a river into a lake with no outlet? Strange.

And finally Margueriets is exactly where I bought the guitar. We got booked to play a highschool dance and I stopped in before the gig and bought it. I think I was 16. "Misty water colored memories." tra la la

Tim
December 29th, 2005, 02:46 PM
One thing I have noticed about the people on this forum. A lot of people know a lot of other people, and have been to a lot of places and done a lot of things, and played a lot of songs on a lot of different guitars through a lot of different amps. That’s a lot of stuff.

Nelskie
December 29th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I am getting to the point where a FS bike is starting to make a lot more sense (read: getting older). I certainly don't "bounce" the way I used to back in the late 80's, early 90's, when I was crunching that chunky stuff like a rampaging animal. We sessioned the Maah-Dah-Hey trail in Western ND about two years ago, and I felt like I'd been run through the spin cycle maybe one too many times!!! However, we've now switched our annual ride location to Cable / Heyward / Seely, WI, in the Northern region of the Chequemagon National Forest. Man, that's some Cadillac single-track out there, my friend. We sessioned that area for a full week in early Sept. this past fall, and the riding and camping were spectacular!! Lotsa' cool mom & pop pubs to hit around there, too.

Sounds like you've kept up on the news surrounding Devils Lake. And for the answer to your question, young Skywalker, you must climb the mountain of governmental red tape, and speak with the all-knowing Army Corps of Engineers. Only then will you become a true Jedi master!

Ah yes, Margie's in Moorhead. Even though it's local, I don't go there much anymore, cuz' I have a good friend who owns his own store in Bismarck. Tough to think about going elsewhere when you get the "pro" treatment at his shop (read: stuff gets done right, and done right now). He sees a new G & L Bluesboy in my future. Sure hope my pocket-book does, too!

Anyways - welcome aboard! I look forward to reading your posts.

tremoloman
January 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Tremoloman - What?! learn a new song? I dunno. How many chords does it have? Do I have to learn the lyrics too. BTW how much does the gig pay?

Well, I figure everyone from your neck of the woods has to know that B-52s song. It's kind of like how everyone here expects me to know every Boston & Aerosmith tune being from Boston and all. ;)