PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Plans?

Myles
December 20th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Tis' the Season...

I'll be heading to my parents place for a couple days to spend time with the folks and my sis. (and meet the new boyfriend... joy...) I'm sure I'll return home rather stuffed with a few presents to boot. I still have to finish getting my sister's gift and get an ornament for the tree. (tradition in our family forced upon us by my darling mother :D)

Crossing my fingers for good road conditions for the 5 hour drive.

Anyway, what are your plans for the holiday season? Any traditions in your family?

oldguy
December 20th, 2006, 06:28 PM
We read "Twas the night before Christmas" from an old book, put out cookies and milk, let everyone open 1 (and ONLY 1) present, and build a fire in the stove and eat whatever we want , (cheese and crackers, deer sausage, chocolates, oranges, nuts, whatever,... and s.l.o.w.ly.... doze off by the fire, and hope there will be snow by morning. We laugh and giggle alot also, but that's just how it is when you're poor and in love. :D :D :D
Thank God for poor and in love.:DR
Glenn

Plank_Spanker
December 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'm cooking a prime rib dinner for my wife Christmas Eve, and we'll just relax at the house. We're meeting the family for breakfast at a diner Christmas day - low key and relaxed. :D

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM
We read "Twas the night before Christmas" from an old book, put out cookies and milk, let everyone open 1 (and ONLY 1) present, and build a fire in the stove and eat whatever we want , (cheese and crackers, deer sausage, chocolates, oranges, nuts, whatever,... and s.l.o.w.ly.... doze off by the fire, and hope there will be snow by morning. We laugh and giggle alot also, but that's just how it is when you're poor and in love. :D :D
Thank God for poor and in love.:DR
Glenn

Glenn, that sounds really nice. :) We go to afternoon Mass, have dinner, often Cioppino, put out cookies, milk, satsuma slices for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer. Then after the kids are in bed (I have three, all 9 and under), we get ready for the big day. Around the house most of the day on Christmas day, with a XC ski or walk mid day to break up the calories. Dinner with friends and family. Quiet and at home mostly. Lots of Christmas tunes of course!

Katastrophe
December 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM
My wife, daughter and stepdaughter and I were going to go to my in-law's house on Christmas Day, but I'm on call at work and can't be that far away. So, it'll be a quiet night at the Katastrophe house on Christmas with just the family and our two dogs. The last few Christmases have been so hectic that we haven't had a chance to develop any traditions yet, unless you count rushing from place to place at 90 mph with your hair on fire a tradition.

We have this sorta "tradition" at my mom and stepdad's house (we go to 4 different Christmases every year, as both mine and Mrs. Katastrophe's parents have divorced and remarried). She's obsessive about saving bows. She'll keep a bow around until it's nothing but a pile of thread that's been stapled in the middle. We always crack jokes about that on Christmas Day.

Robert
December 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
What the heck is satsuma?

We celebrate the Swedish way, with glögg and inlagd sill!

Our little 3-year old is anxiously awaiting "jultomten". I am gonna have to find a mask so I can look like "the man". That's what it was like when I was a kid, somebody dressed up as Santa and came knocking on the door to deliver presents.

Spudman
December 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Tis' the Season...

I'll be heading to my parents place for a couple days to spend time with the folks and my sis. (and meet the new boyfriend... joy...)
Crossing my fingers for good road conditions for the 5 hour drive.

Wow Vital, you have a new boyfriend? :rolleyes: Why didn't you tell us sooner? :confused:
Have a nice time but that 5 hours back is going to be a little painful. :D
I hope the weather holds out for you at least.

Me?
Got no parents or friends so I'm just going to sit around the house with my rock and eat popcorn. Oh wait...that's what I used to do. Now that I'm married and have a daughter maybe we can do something together. That sounds like fun tradition to start.

Merry Christmas to you all.

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
What the heck is satsuma?

A loose skinned, sweet, really juicy tangerine orange.

The Swedish way sounds fun!!

sunvalleylaw
December 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Wow Vital, you have a new boyfriend? :rolleyes: Why didn't you tell us sooner? :confused:
Have a nice time but that 5 hours back is going to be a little painful. :D
I hope the weather holds out for you at least.

Me?
Got no parents or friends so I'm just going to sit around the house with my rock and eat popcorn. Oh wait...that's what I used to do. Now that I'm married and have a daughter maybe we can do something together. That sounds like fun tradition to start.

Merry Christmas to you all.

If you roll with it and join their world, kids can make the world seem new on Christmas! Enjoy.

SuperSwede
December 21st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Robert, you can buy glögg in Canada? Cool! The real alcoholic glögg or the saftglögg?

Spud, I dont think that you told us about your daugher before!

We are going to spend the christmas with my wifes parents. I´ll probably eat too much food from the "julbord" (christmas version of smörgåsbord).

Justaguyin_nc
December 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Between the Girlfriend and I .. we have enough grandkids to make a baseball team... x-mas eve will bring us a ride down to South Carolina (3 hours tops) to spend the nite at my daughters... than X-mas day will be her family affair... and sometime between now and then...I am suppose to build her a Garden shed... Im still leaning towards wrapping the wood with a bow and putting her name on it..;)

Spudman
December 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Spud, I dont think that you told us about your daugher before!

WE just got her off Ebay. Pretty good deal. I sniped her at the last second. She's not really vintage or anything but I get some pretty good sounds out of her. She might be a bit micro-phonic because I get a lot of squeals out of her when she's really happy.

Hogfullofblues
December 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM
This year will be our lowest key Christmas ever, and the wife is feeling it. Last of kids now out of the house. None of the out of state family will be able to visit, usually we have a house full of relatives, kids and pets from both sides. Our oldest is in the military and thanks to his orders we were unable to visit him as we have in the past, nor he us. So we're going to have Christmas dinner for the very few that can make it. I am also missing the folks and whirlwind of activity I am used to. Some eggnog, phone calls and Christmas CDs ought to do the trick.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tim
December 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
We always stay home for Christmas and have the kids and grandkids over. This year it will be different. Our oldest daughter (39) is having one of her tantrums at the present time. It’s been going on for 3 months. She won’t talk to anybody or hangs up the phone. She lives about 40 minutes form our house. Her oldest son (9 years) is whom I bought the mini Squire Strat for last year. I have not played with him for 4 months now. I really miss that. She will not becoming for Christmas.

My son will be coming home from Norfolk Virginia for a few days. He is in the Navy there. He just got promoted personally by an Admiral. Now we understand he has orders for the US Navy base in Cuba. Thank a lot for the promotion … Sir!!! It will only be a 6-month tour. His ship the USS George Washington will be leaving for a 3-year tour stationed in Japan. He does not want to miss that tour. He has been dreaming of it for 2 years.

My youngest daughter will bring her two children along with her boy friend. The kids are 4 and 2 years of age. It should be fun to watch them this year opening their gifts.

Since we had turkey for Thanksgiving, the wife has chosen to bake a spiral cut ham with scalloped potatoes and all the trimmings of vegetables, breads and the pies after dinner. Of course there will be the traditional cookies, vegetable platters and eggnog to keep us nourished during the day.

The sad part of the year’s Christmas is it will be the last one in this house. When I retire in March 2007 my wife an I plan to relocate. So missing the oldest will impact the atmosphere.

I will probably be in bed by 9:00 PM after everybody goes back home.

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Between the Girlfriend and I .. we have enough grandkids to make a baseball team... x-mas eve will bring us a ride down to South Carolina (3 hours tops) to spend the nite at my daughters... than X-mas day will be her family affair... and sometime between now and then...I am suppose to build her a Garden shed... Im still leaning towards wrapping the wood with a bow and putting her name on it..;)

Where in SC? Christmas in Charleston sounds fun! I had the pleasure of visiting there and points near there a few years ago. Only got to NC on the layover however.

SuperSwede
December 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
WE just got her off Ebay. Pretty good deal. I sniped her at the last second. She's not really vintage or anything but I get some pretty good sounds out of her. She might be a bit micro-phonic because I get a lot of squeals out of her when she's really happy.

Oh... Did you get a Korean or did you go all out for a made in the USA? Or somewhere in between (made in Mexico?).

6STRINGS 9LIVES
December 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Looking foreward to 4 days off and some UBERGLOGG , Family , Friends , long distance calls and good eats ,we usually brave the weather and have a BBQ for all our friends and family on the 1st weekend following Christmas ..ummm cold beer in the snowbank while the strip loins grill ..all the ladies inside and all the guys out on the deck gettin pizzed . Our daughter , son in law and grandson are 6 hours away and wont make it this year , 1st time for xmas without my little girl , thats gonna cause a tear or two i'm shure , we have a large extended family in the area so it will be cool . Anyway hope you all have a very safe , merry and peaceful Holiday season . HAPPY FESTIVUS EVERYBODY

Justaguyin_nc
December 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Where in SC? Christmas in Charleston sounds fun! I had the pleasure of visiting there and points near there a few years ago. Only got to NC on the layover however.

Not going that far... Hartsville SC.. it's a college town about 100 miles south of Charlotte NC... Nice place, they decided to settle seeing they went there during college.. I guess the biggest thing close to it is Columbia SC.. should be a nice stay over... Besides other things.. I am going to take an acoustic down there with case, hangar and amp etc ... to leave there.. umm.. as part of a gift :wink wink: so they have one if I ever get the nerve to play it in front of people.. or if they ever get the itch to learn, they will have one..

:DR

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Sounds great. I love musical instruments, and music for that matter, recorded or performed, as a gift. Have fun!

Not going that far... Hartsville SC.. it's a college town about 100 miles south of Charlotte NC... Nice place, they decided to settle seeing they went there during college.. I guess the biggest thing close to it is Columbia SC.. should be a nice stay over... Besides other things.. I am going to take an acoustic down there with case, hangar and amp etc ... to leave there.. umm.. as part of a gift :wink wink: so they have one if I ever get the nerve to play it in front of people.. or if they ever get the itch to learn, they will have one..

:DR

t_ross33
December 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Looking forward to a few days off. Finally getting caught up at work, and my wife will be done work for the season (she's the Food & Beverage Services Manager at the Humboldt Golf Club. Too much snow for golf lately, but they cater Xmas parties etc. She's been very, very busy!).

Having a couple wobbly pops with some of my staff this afternoon, then spending a much needed evening at home with my immediate family (daughters almost 12, 9, almost 7). Kids went to school in their PJ's today for Christmas spirit week, so we're gonna hang out in our jammies, open a couple presents, maybe drive around and look at Christmas lights.

Heading into the city (Saskatoon) tomorrow. Might have to pick up a couple last minute things :eek: Might hit the pool or go to a movie with the kids. Saskatoon has a fantastic Christmas light display called the Enchanted Forest (http://www.enchanted-forest.org/index.html), so we'll check that out as well and get into the spirit.

Going to stay at my sister's over Christmas. It's our first Christmas without our Dad who passed away last April and she's having a tough time with it. It'll be fun hanging out with my neice (2) and nephew (9 months) and my gang. Gonna take my Grandma (88 and still on her own!) to the Christmas service at her church in Biggar (look it up on the map :)) then back to my sister's. Aunts/Uncles/Cousins from my Mom's side of the family are coming for Christmas dinner - which is nice cuz we lost my mom about 12 years ago too. Boxing day we are heading out to my Dad's sister's near the farm where I grew up. More family from my Dad's side to visit, have a few cheerz with etc. Hope to catch up with some of my old school buddies, more cheer and fellowship...

Sorry for the ramble. In short, it will be a busy but festive season surrounded by friends and family. And that's what it's all about.

KEEP ON ROCKIN IN THE FREE WORLD! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Trev