PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys. Long time no see

kiteman
August 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Well, I haven't been playing my guitar for months. No spark is there so I guess I'm burned out on it. I sold off a lot of my gear but kept a couple of guitars, two amps and a pedal for keepsake. I noodled off and on but no interest. I became more interested in shooting at the range, bought two pistols and joined several gun forums. I planned to go to the CHL class to get my conceal carry permit.

I guess my interest/hobby has changed.

So how's things? Y'all missed me? :D

Tig
August 31st, 2012, 02:31 PM
Yee-haa! Nice to see so many returning forumites.

I'm glad you didn't sell off all the gear. Try some alternate tunings next time you pick up a guitar.

I'm getting back into guns a little, mostly for optional home and personal defense for my wife. I'm about to go check out a few Springfield Armory sub-compact 9mm and .40's later today.

kiteman
August 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Good brand. What I have are the budget models but they had been 100% with over 1000 rounds each. I have an S&W Sigma 9mm and a Sig Sauer P250c 40sw. Fun shooters and both DAO which are what I prefer for safe carry with a round in the pipe.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6564/s5030343.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/s5030343.jpg/)

Robert
August 31st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Hey Kiteman!
Yeah we was wondering where ya been!

Keep playing guitar - never stop! Perhaps signing up for some lesson might re-ignite that spark?

mrmudcat
September 1st, 2012, 04:18 AM
Im working on a guitar one of those cheeeeeezzzzzy cheap gun shaped ones .Im putting a real live fire mech in there to combine hobbies .It is also handy if someone wanted to try that crap that they did on dimebag:saw: Glad to see ya Just got back myself:dance

kiteman
September 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Yea, I heard. Glad you're back too. :cool:

I can't get the spark back because my doc are drug testing me so I gotta stay clean. :dance

sunvalleylaw
September 1st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hey Kite! Good to hear from you! Muddy, I have seen you around lately too. Great to see some folks wander back in!!!

My advice regarding getting fired up again I got from Tone2theBone (I think he's into guns, and bows, and fly fishing gear as well) a long time ago. Plug a guitar into an amph, tune, then turn it up, loud enough to be a bit shocking. If it doesn't almost scare you a little, it is not loud enough. Hit a big old A chord and let it sustain. Repeat. then go from there! Rock on brothers!

bigoldron
September 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Kite, glad to hear from you and Muddie! I've been away from the Fret for awhile, but am drifting back myself. Glad to see and hear from the "old gang"....lol

kiteman
September 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hail hail... the gang are here. :D

bigoldron
September 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hail hail... the gang are here. :D

+1

sunvalleylaw
September 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Nice to hear from you as well, Ron!

kiteman
September 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
This starting to sound like a family reunion. :rollover

poodlesrule
September 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
..or people getting back on Fretter campus?

kiteman
September 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
So where's the main man Robert?

Robert
September 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hey I'm in the vicinity!

Just watched paranorman with my kid!

kiteman
September 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Yo Robert! Blow any circuit boards lately? :poke

How was the movie?

oldguy
September 3rd, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nice to see you, kiteman!

And Muddy!

And Ron!

I really need to check in more often..........

Robert
September 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yo Robert! Blow any circuit boards lately? :poke

How was the movie?

No blown boards!

Movie was GREAT! I love dead people... like zombies and ghouls.

Oldguy - we missed you too! S'been a whaal!

sumitomo
September 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Well after 6 million attempts to log on,I made it.I have been a lurker because I don't know why but it has always be hard to log in,but I have a mini-mac now!I saw the mud man and I had to get on (I'm looking for a liver for ya bro) Kiteman I have been playing the heck out of my guitars and have been building at lease 15+ guitars since last april.I have been able to go into a recording studio with a couple of pros and watch 'em lay down the magic (totally blew my mind) I learned ALOT that day.Next is a new camcorder so I can post vids of all these gigs I have been filming.Sumi:thumbsup

kiteman
September 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hey sumi! What's hopping? :dance

Tone2TheBone
September 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
My ears were itching (thanks Sunvalley). Welcome back KM. I came back too a little while ago. Haven't posted much though. I'm waiting for more zombie game threads I guess.

I too should be attending a conceal carry class in the fall. I haven't decided what I want to use though. I have a Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 in .40 S&W. The barrel is short enough but the 16 round capacity grip is a tad long. I've seen some guys conceal it good though with a decent IWB holster just behind their side pant pocket. I still may consider a single stack 9mm of some type though.

kiteman
September 7th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I used to have a Kel-Tec PF9 9mm. It conceals very well (same gun Zimmerman used) and I bought it for CC. I got hooked on shooting at the range and after over 1000 rounds my hand said enough already, get a bigger gun LOL, I sold it and got a S&W Sigma 9mm. Yeah, I can tell the difference. Later I bought the Sig P250c 40sw and that's some power there. I put the 9mm back in the box and stashed it away (too good to sell) now I carry the 40.

They both have over 1200 rounds through 'em. Damn I love shooting. :dance

This is from my last trip to the range. I put on the stickers after each 10 rounds so I always have a "fresh" target. Also I can watch the patterns and adjust from it.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9057/s5030519.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/s5030519.jpg/)

sunvalleylaw
September 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM
My ears were itching (thanks Sunvalley).

:bravo::thumbsup

Tig
September 7th, 2012, 09:03 PM
My ears were itching (thanks Sunvalley). Welcome back KM. I came back too a little while ago. Haven't posted much though. I'm waiting for more zombie game threads I guess.

I too should be attending a conceal carry class in the fall. I haven't decided what I want to use though. I have a Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 in .40 S&W. The barrel is short enough but the 16 round capacity grip is a tad long. I've seen some guys conceal it good though with a decent IWB holster just behind their side pant pocket. I still may consider a single stack 9mm of some type though.

T2B! Good to see ya!

I'd consider the XD sub-compact 3" for CC, but that will cost you another purchase. Zombies aren't particular, though.

sumitomo
September 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Just been busy trying not to be busy,I'm not on the computer much anymore and if I am it's to play guitar I have been on JamPlay for awhile now and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to learn,improve or just get out of a rut and at 100 bucks a year it's a bargain.I'm glad to hear you didn't sell everything kite man I remember you were fed up,I don't think we ever stop learning glad to see your still around.Sumi:thumbsup

kiteman
September 8th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Well, I can't let go of my favorite guitar and amp can't I? :socool

I still noodle once in a while but I don't feel creative anymore. Just that I don't forget my E, A and D. :french

Katastrophe
September 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Kiteman... Muddy... Ron... Sumi...Tone ... Saw Oldguy check in as well on another thread... I do have to say that this is awesome, and it's good to see you all posting!

Tig
September 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Now all we need is Reverent Rawk Marnold...
:dude

kiteman
September 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah, where is Marnold?

Tig
September 8th, 2012, 05:26 PM
He was getting burned out and feeling stagnant with the guitar several months ago. I think the Easter acoustic performance was a pain, too.
Hopefully, he'll rebound and have fun with music again.

Tig
September 8th, 2012, 10:00 PM
And Eric... I know he was moving and changing jobs, etc., but he should have surfaced by now.
:wave:

deeaa
September 9th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I've wondered what's up with Eric. Hopefully all is well.

deeaa
September 9th, 2012, 03:47 AM
And here's my main squeeze, .40S&W. Has maybe 5000 rounds behind. Not far from stock; removed the grip safety function, custom trigger + job and sights, grip tape over the barrel for quick arming during pull, some changed internal parts like barrel bushing&springs, rod cushion etc. 17, 18 and 22 round mags, I have six mags & a speed holster (belt holder) for it. Quite accurate for my needs, it can do all shots in a playing card at 30 feet.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4aJaUtZ1dI0/UExkfPoWXOI/AAAAAAAAFgY/XW-B8gIKPbw/s1154/IMAG0495.jpg

kiteman
September 9th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Very nice deeaa. I don't hear much about Para-Ordinance on the gun forums. I wonder why.

So Eric hadn't been around lately? I remember he was quite active here. Hope all goes well.

Katastrophe
September 9th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Dee, with the grip safety disabled, you don't carry / keep the pistol cocked and locked, do you?

Kiteman, Para-Ordnance has been around a while, first as a manufacturer of high capacity 1911 frames for IPSC competition, then moving into manufacturing of their own line of pistols. They still enjoy a reputation for quality.

And yep, we need Eric and Marnold to post more often again!

deeaa
September 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hell no, I never even put a mag in until I have fixed a visual on target I'm gonna shoot at. In practice, only when the official tells me to make ready, or if alone, when I'm about to fire.

Other than that, my guns are kept hid in the basement gun cabinet behind two locked doors, and I don't keep ammo at the ready either.

marnold
September 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM
He was getting burned out and feeling stagnant with the guitar several months ago. I think the Easter acoustic performance was a pain, too.
Hopefully, he'll rebound and have fun with music again.

What? Who? Where?

The Easter (actually, it was Good Friday) performance wasn't as off-putting as it originally felt because I was at least doing something. The bigger issue was my amph being out of commission for so long. I'd pick up my guitar every so often but, as Dave Barry once observed, playing an unamplified (err, unamphliphied) electric is like strumming a picnic table. I've had my amph back for roughly three weeks now but have only turned it on a couple of times. There's a lot of stuff going on here that obviously gets priority. Then I'm also the president of my homebrew club and we've had a bunch of stuff to get organized.

Recently I picked up MarloweDK's Beginning Slap Bass DVD (https://www.trepstar.com/purchase.asp?idprod=107700&mode=itemlist)--actually I got the digital download version. I've always loved slap/funk bass but I've never been any good at it. He covers the techniques involved and gives a lot of good licks to learn. Even the simplest ones still sound fun-kay. So I've been playing a lot more bass. I'm trying to convince my tipless index finger that it can pop just fine. It's a little irritated with me right now, but it'll get over it.

In other news, I bought a Nexus 7 tablet that I really like. It enabled me to go back to my old Motorola Razr flip-phone and drop my rarely-used data package. I suppose I can try recording with it and see if it worked as well as my phone did. It'll be especially interesting to see if it can capture slapped and popped bass decently.

kiteman
September 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds good Marnold. Glad to see you around. :)

Tig
September 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Good to see ya, Rev!
:AOK

Katastrophe
September 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Yep, good to see ya, Rev!

I'm always open to be an independent taste tester for the homebrew club.

mrmudcat
September 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Good to see ya rev!:dude

NWBasser
September 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hey, it's great to see all these familiar names again!

Welcome back y'all.

I miss BCDon too.

Rev. - try using a compressor for slap bass. Helps a lot!

kiteman
September 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Well, I'm off to see my dentist tomorrow duh. :thwap

Got a loose front tooth that's coming out, guess I'll have to get it yanked. Got a broken front tooth next to it I'd like to get yanked too. Depends on my financial situation.

No I didn't get into a fight. The tooth that broke was growing against the canine tooth and it snapped from it. After that my other tooth got loose.

Woe is me sigh. On the bright side I'll have the Leon Spinx smile. :rollover

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Dentist time for me too today. Root canal. :help Good luck on your end.

kiteman
September 11th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Well, it's done. Both teeth pulled, paid $200 and owe $42 to be paid next month. I got a good dentist. :)

EDIT: How'd it go for you T2TB?

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Went good thanks. Painless actually. Have a great dental plan and found a good Endodontist. Going for the crown tomorrow...phase I anyway.

Oh yeah the compact 9s are pretty snappy you're right. My BIL has the compact XD but I haven't tried that yet. Still don't know what I might use when I decide to do it.

Musically just keep at it. Other things come around but sometimes you still get that itch to play.

Tig
September 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Good news, T2TB. I'm glad you survived the drill! Health trumps everything else.

The firearm purchase has been pushed back indefinitely. Mrs. T had a heart scare a few weeks ago, and the cardiologist's tests were over $1100. The good news is her heart is in great shape. It was just a case of extreme stress during work that made her EKG look bad for a day. Without health little else matters.

kiteman
September 18th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Now my sis's calling me snaggletooth because I sound like him. feels weird to talk without your front teeth.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM
@Kiteman - heavens to murgatroyd! :thwap ;)

@Tig*** - Wife comes first...hope she's doing better!!!