PDA

View Full Version : What Multi effect pedal

Photomike666
September 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM
As I'm just starting out kit wise, I'm still working out my sound. As such I don't know which pedals I will and won't use. I thought I'd get a multi effects pedal, at least teach me what does what. I can always get stand alone later.

So, what's good & what's worth avoiding? I mainly play rock & metal, budget is around $350. So far I'm leaning towards the Boss ME70, but I value your opinion

cebreez
September 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Boss or Line6 are both pretty solid bets. Boss is better built but Line6 tends to have better sounding effects. $350 goes a long way towards a really nice used setup. Get a nice enough multi-effects unit and you may not fool with single pedals at all. Though that would surely go against my grain. ;)

Spudman
September 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM
The top end Digitech pedals like the RP500 or RP1000 can easily be under your budget. They offer a lot of features, especially the RP1000. I also wouldn't shy away from the new Zoom G5. Plenty of folks are saying good things about them.

Last time I saw Queensryche they were using the rack version of the RP1000. Sounded pretty good to me.

tjcurtin1
September 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM
GC has a DeltaLab pedal on sale at the moment for $69 down from $99 that gets pretty good reviews, and includes a wah and volume pedal.

Spudman
September 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
RP1000 for sale $190
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=23889

omegadot
September 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
I have an hd300 and love it. I probably use my pocket pod just as much though. Do you really need a huge stable of amphs?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jtees4
September 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I have been playing for 40+ years....always loved Boss individual pedals, so of course I bought three different Boss Multi FX units, but I never liked them. Ultimately the one I loved the best (and I tried Boss, Digitech, Line 6, and Vox) was an older Korg model AX1500G...still the best as far as I'm concerned.

The Grand Vizier
September 7th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I have tried & sold my multi FX pedals, I found them rather artificial tonewise, but they have come a long way in the past few years.
Plus I found I spend more time fiddling with them than playing.

I just use separate pedals.
Mind you I have not tried a Line6 HD 500 as yet, but probably out of your price range anyway unless you go for the HD300.
Ah I just noticed you are a fellow Antipodean, you have to pay through the nose for gear to, unless you buy from USA.:cry:

Tig
September 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I have tried & sold my multi FX pedals, I found them rather artificial tonewise, but they have come a long way in the past few years.
Plus I found I spend more time fiddling with them than playing.

I just use separate pedals.
Mind you I have not tried a Line6 HD 500 as yet, but probably out of your price range anyway unless you go for the HD300.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoy the simple controls of each dedicated pedal, and the choices these days are incredible.
I sold my HD500 for this reason. Yes, it sounded really good, but it still didn't suit my tone needs and desire for intuitive controls.

Photomike666
September 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the responses, very helpful.

My main reason for looking at multi effects rather than separates, is that I done yet know which way my tone will develop. If I get a multi effects unit I can experiment with a variety of effects and maybe later on get separates when I know what I want.

Tig
September 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hey, I just saw this in an email:
Vox Amplification Announces StompLab Series Multi-Effects Pedals
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/vox-amplification-announces-stomplab-series-multi-effects-pedals/149430

Street price will be $69 and $89 US, respectively.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/Portals/0/StompLab1G.jpg
http://www.guitarplayer.com/Portals/0/StompLab2G.jpg
(photos are not to scale)

Photomike666
September 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Not bad, wonder if they'll sell in Aus?

modernp
September 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
The zoom is pretty stellar.