PDA

View Full Version : New guitar day -- 2012 LP Standard

helliott
September 3rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Decided to cull the herd a bit. Got rid of three nice guitars -- although second tier -- and replaced the three with one: a 2012 LP Standard. Lovin it so far -- could give my Strat a run for #1. The coil splitters and bypass really do make it a much more versatile beast than other LPs I've played in the past.

Here are some pix, will send some tones soon.

https://www.box.com/s/qxu8ptafg768ex3llia3

https://www.box.com/s/qxu8ptafg768ex3llia3

https://www.box.com/s/u29z757me32z4edbu4ij

https://www.box.com/s/uoxs66cxbgq3jt52z8mh

https://www.box.com/s/h4tyzkfoknkglltvzgh7

Algonquin
September 3rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Congrats Howie!... looks like a keeper :AOK
You can never go wrong with quality over quantity.

Cheers:beer:
David

Spudman
September 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Very nice! Do those come with a pick guard?

duhvoodooman
September 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
A real beauty. Love the top.

mrmudcat
September 4th, 2012, 12:00 AM
yummy!!!!:socool

piebaldpython
September 4th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Sweet score.......coil splitting is nice to have. Hey, what amp is that in the background?.........Mesa Bogie Lonestar Special?

deeaa
September 4th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I have never had a gibby or any neck-bucker guitar that I didn't mod to have at least splittable coils at the neck, always loved it. Never had much use for a bucker neck sound really as I don't play dark jazz or thick violin leads.

In fact my fave on my '92 LP standard was to have the neck pickup not just split but wired in twin-single coil mode giving me pretty much the strat 2nd position sound on neck pup.

helliott
September 4th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks guys. Yup, that's my Lone Star Special back there. 5-15-30 watts. Go to gigging amp.

DVM, the top is one of the things that really struck me, but it also played the best out of about 8 I tried. Although they were all pretty good. The PLEK setup thing is not hype -- it really works. I can even play slide on it, which is unusual for me on a relatively low strung guitar with 10s instead of the usual 11s. Just seems to be the perfect setup.

Spud, it does have a pick guard. I'm wrestling with whether to use it or not. I don't bash like I used to, so the body might be safe if I don't use it. I'll probably monitor for pick wear and the first I see of it will install. Not sure I want the one that came standard though as it's a colour that doesn't really enhance the finish -- sort of a butterscotch.

progrmr
September 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM
yea man that's a beauty!

MAXIFUNK
September 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
congrats nice axe quality or quantity any day!!

Tig
September 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I love the top! HNGD! :AOK

NWBasser
September 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Oh baby, that's sweet!

I don't play guitars very often, but when I do I grab a Les Paul.

I'll echo the others and say good move to quality.

Congratulations!

helliott
September 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone. Gotta be honest and say that I miss two of the three trade victims -- Gibson ES339 and PRS CE-22. But the more I play the LP the more I think it was a good move.

kidsmoke
September 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM
That's a beauty, but for a 339 + 2? A 339 is fine fine axe.

Sounds like you're really loving it though. Congrats!

Ive got some questions about the lone star too. Is there thread around here on that so I don't hijack this'un??

helliott
September 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Tio Kimo, probably sounds weird. Loved both the 339 and PRS. But a couple of years ago I promised to myself I wouldn't spend incremental dollars on the music family in the interest of the real family , so I only spend if I'm divesting as well as acquiring. Tough though because I get stupid attached to most of my guitars including the ones I traded. Much as I liked the other two (the third was an old Squier Tele) I wasn't using them much outside the house. The gig rig is my Strat, Tele and I wanted one more. The 339 served part of that but wasn't really versatile. Then I started reading and trying out the new LPs and made the call. Right or wrong who knows. Time will tell. Left to my own devices I'd still have every guitar I ever owned. Happy to answer any questions you have about the Lone Star, but have to warn you I'm not terribly knowledgeable about amps -- sorry, amphs. Ask here or in the amp thread and I'll tell you what I can. Sure love that amp.

sunvalleylaw
September 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Congrats on your new guitar day!

kidsmoke
September 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Tough though because I get stupid attached to most of my guitars including the ones I traded.
I completely resonate with that!

The 339 served part of that but wasn't really versatile.
this surprises me because I've always felt that one of the advantages to a semi was it's wide array of possible tones. Modifying the electronics is a PIA, for sure.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the Lone Star, but have to warn you I'm not terribly knowledgeable about amps -- sorry, amphs. Ask here or in the amp thread and I'll tell you what I can. Sure love that amp.

I'll start a thread there soon. Basically, as a semi guy, and somebody looking for a good gig volume amp, that lonestar seems like an investment, super versatile design wise. Like to know what you found tonally with your 339, but in a way, this thread answers that question.

Glad you're having fun with the new axe though!!

Tone2TheBone
September 7th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Nice guitar. I'm with Spud I was gonna ask about a pickguard. I noticed Gibson has been putting round button locking Grovers on their LPs lately. Have you utilized that feature often?

helliott
September 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Tio Komo: I didn't put that very accurately. The 339 was quite versatile and I especially liked it for pure bluesy stuff like BB King. I really had no issues with the guitar other than I wanted this LP and the 339 helped bring in the dough -- bought it used and got the same as I paid for it two years ago! Same with the PRS. Love both but found I was typically getting more use from my Tele and Strat onstage. The LP gives me a complete arsenal I'm happy with -- but I still miss the 339.

About the Mesa: it was excellent with the 339. I typically run through the clean channel to get best definition, gain at about 2 oclock just starting break up. Use a pedalboard for more drive. The Lone Star is a hyper responsive amp that sounds best when most of the controls are used conservatively. It takes a bit of time to get settings you like, but once you get them it's hard to beat. And the 3-wattage selection is very useful. 5 watts is perfect for home and recording, although I've done gigs with it. 15 watts works perfectly in a smallish room and the 30 watt option makes sure you can get solos out front with headroom to spare. My only beef with it is it is quite heavy for its size. That's a small sacrifice for the guts and tone it delivers. Plus it's built like the proverbial brick xxxhouse so plenty sturdy. (Also has a honkin big gorgeous spring reverb)

helliott
September 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Tone2TheBone: Haven't changed strings yet. But I have the locking tuners on my Strat and like it a lot. Love not having to put much wrap on the machine heads.

kidsmoke
September 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Tio Komo: I didn't put that very accurately. The 339 was quite versatile and I especially liked it for pure bluesy stuff like BB King. I really had no issues with the guitar other than I wanted this LP and the 339 helped bring in the dough -- bought it used and got the same as I paid for it two years ago! Same with the PRS. Love both but found I was typically getting more use from my Tele and Strat onstage. The LP gives me a complete arsenal I'm happy with -- but I still miss the 339.

About the Mesa: it was excellent with the 339. I typically run through the clean channel to get best definition, gain at about 2 oclock just starting break up. Use a pedalboard for more drive. The Lone Star is a hyper responsive amp that sounds best when most of the controls are used conservatively. It takes a bit of time to get settings you like, but once you get them it's hard to beat. And the 3-wattage selection is very useful. 5 watts is perfect for home and recording, although I've done gigs with it. 15 watts works perfectly in a smallish room and the 30 watt option makes sure you can get solos out front with headroom to spare. My only beef with it is it is quite heavy for its size. That's a small sacrifice for the guts and tone it delivers. Plus it's built like the proverbial brick xxxhouse so plenty sturdy. (Also has a honkin big gorgeous spring reverb)

Well, since YOU went there...LOL

so you find this amp will work well with the tele and the semi, with a little tweaking? I'd love to hear that "jush" braking up tone with buckers. I find I love a creamy breakup, but then still want to have the hacksaw tone on tap at volume, probably way to much to ask

helliott
September 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yup, that's what I find, although I dunno what jush is. The key with this amp and my Baha Tele is my Diamond compressor -- fantastic little made in Canada pedal. It has EQ as well comp and volume. I find if I stomp it for breaking up Tele stuff, the snarl is there (eq about 2) with the right tele pickup combo. With the 339 I just used the natural ability of the pickups and volume controls to hover in the BB clean tones and a tad more drive to add sustain. I will try to do some bucker tones soon and post them. Gig tonight and tomorrow so may be too bagged Sunday but we will see.