PDA

View Full Version : Chromatic lick in the style of Charlie Parker

Robert
December 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I recorded a video lesson of a little jazz lick I learned from Charlie Parker.

This one is in the key of E. I think the tune I learned this lick from was "Now's The Time".

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-42.php

Pay attention to how then notes go chromatically from the Major Second up to the Perfect Fifth. Cool chromatic move!

Let me know what you think!

Robert
December 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Not one response? :confused: Was it too confusing or are there no one interested in jazz around here?

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Robert,

That's a great lick! I really like that kind of chromatic stuff.
Thanks for sharing that.

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
I must'a missed your post the first time Robert.

Incredibly excellent licks there!

I just wish that you had tab, or better yet music notation.

I play guitar in the basement & my computer is upstairs, so although seeing you play helps I forget it all by the time I get to my guitar.

M29
December 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks Robert I finally got back to check it out. My computer has been invaded by my son and It has been tough getting on lately. World of Warcraft is the culprit.

Awesome lesson, Jazz is ultimately where I want to go.
M29

Tinky-Winky
December 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I really liked that one Robert, and I learnt it just now.

Robert
December 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Thank you, glad you like it. I just made a tab:

|------------------------------------------------|
|--------8-9-10-11-12-10-12-10-9-----------------|
|---9-11-------------------------9------9-9-9----|
|-9--------------------------------11-9----------|

warren0728
December 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM
cool....thanks robert....the tab really helps!

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 24th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Not one response? :confused: Was it too confusing or are there no one interested in jazz around here?

Absolutely not!!! it was great. I posted my thanks in the wrong place in the Charlie Parker thread. Thank you. I will put some time in to learning it.

SuperSwede
December 25th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I´ve must have missed it.. Very cool sounding on the tele!

tot_Ou_tard
December 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Thank you, glad you like it. I just made a tab:

|--------8-9-10-11-12-10-12-10-9-----------------|
|---9-11-------------------------9------9-9-9----|
|-9--------------------------------11-9----------|

Wowee!! It must be Christmas. Thanks Robert!!!

Is there some kind of software that'll do automatic transcribing into music notation & tab? If so is there a free one? Does it require midi?

I'm trying to think of a way to make transcription easy for Robert.

elavd
December 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Very interesting lick!! Thanks Robert for sharing it ;)

Robert
December 25th, 2006, 12:05 PM
You're welcome guys. I use PowerTab, and it can play the tab and it also produces music notation. I can put it too on my website if anyone is interested.

marnold
December 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Is there some kind of software that'll do automatic transcribing into music notation & tab? If so is there a free one? Does it require midi?

I know that TablEdit can import MIDI files and convert them to tab. I've never tried to check it's accuracy though. I was impressed enough that it worked!

Moshe
December 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Nice lick robert!

Yes more of these for me, thank you.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, I was recently started transposing something that I was doing on the sax to guitar as a learning tool. I have an excellent jazz book for alto sax book that this backing track is from. There are a lot of good songs on there but most with a pre-bird feel to them.

This is just me with backing track at the beginning.
http://www.box.net/public/6zhmkj1gp5

edited to upload in .mp3 instead of .wav
http://www.box.net/public/fys2nlg70q

It's actually a lot of work because this kind of jazz doesn't seem to have any "boxes" that it sticks to, so any note is possible, and then you have to figure out what position/string to play each note on. And there are a lot of notes..waaa waaa waaa.

I just don't know if this is worth it because I don't know if there are many people living who want to hear this kind of stuff. I guess I am just doing it because I like it and it's a good excersize.

I just noticed that:

a) I am too loud in the mix (what else is new)
b) I am picking too hard (That was somewhat on purpose, because sometimes when I was playing this I would half hit notes that would sound muffled so I was trying to over play them just to get them to ring.
c) The .mp3 sounds really bad.

oh well.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
You're welcome guys. I use PowerTab, and it can play the tab and it also produces music notation. I can put it too on my website if anyone is interested.

Just finished re-watching your lesson and learning the lick. I love how you teach. It works very well for me. This lesson was very fun and cool. I enjoyed it very much, and it is different from what I have been doing,which has been working mostly on some pentatonic scales and licks. Thanks! Also putting the PowerTab on your website would be cool.

alanfc
January 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks Robert this is exactly what I'm needing right now.... getting out of the box even a little (going to that 8th fret OH NOOO ) is what I'm really weak on..

warren0728
January 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
getting out of the box even a little (going to that 8th fret OH NOOO ) is what I'm really weak on..
heck i'm weak inside the box, outside the box, on top of the box, maybe i should just crawl under a box :D

ww

marnold
January 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
heck i'm weak inside the box, outside the box, on top of the box, maybe i should just crawl under a box
I think I misplaced my box.

alanfc
January 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM

aye but that's a good thing laddy

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Maybe you left it in her box in a box?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xElIik0Ys0

R_of_G
May 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Jazz is the reason I picked up the instrument in the first place. Two of the biggest reasons that that is the case are Miles and Bird. I have said to friends and will repeat now, you can learn everything you need about melody from miles and bird, and you can pick up phrasing by listening to monk. what's key to me about listening to the acoustic half of my jazz collection, not withstanding django, is that i am not subconciously singling out a guitar player, i am able to just hear notes and piano chords. So, as a huge jazz fan, thanks for this bit of melody. much appreciated

Robert
May 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Good to hear, Roland of Gilead!

I am big Miles and Bird fan too, and I copied many Bird licks like this one. They are great to learn from.

Robert

guitartist
May 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, thanks Robert! Very cool to have a transcription of that for guitar. I'm also an alto sax player and have always been a big Bird fan....I've never been able to cop any of his licks though! You've got a good ear.

P.S. I watched some of your clips on your site yesterday and was very impressed with your playing and tone. I like your style sir...nice mix of chicken' pickin and Hendrix & SRV-style grooves you got goin' on.

Robert
May 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks, guitartist! Warms my heart to hear this!