PDA

View Full Version : AMP DIY'ers--this looks just TOO COOL!

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
From a post by Keith "Mr. BYOC" Vonderhulls over at the BYOC forum today:

"I've hinted around a bit about what the new amp kit will be like, but for the most part, I've been pretty tight lipped. This isn't an exact clone and a some custom components had to be manufactured, so I didn't want to say too much about it till I knew everything was a go. Just about all the parts are here now, so I can go ahead and tell you about it.

It will be a Champ 5F1/Deluxe 5E3 hybrid called the Tweed Royal.

Aesthetically, it will look a lot like any other 5E3 kit. It will have the two VOLUME knobs and one TONE knob like the 5E3. But the TONE knob will be a switch so that when you turn it all the way CCW, it takes the tonestack out of the circuit for a more Champ-like tone. It will also have a CUT knob. This controls the amount of negative feedback from the OT to the phase inverter. This is similar to a "presence" control on a Bassman or Plexi. I know what you're saying. You're saying, "Wait a minute. Neither the Champ or Deluxe had a 'cut' knob!" This is true. BUT! If you are familiar with the Champ circuit, then you know it has a 22k feedback resistor. So it does have a "cut" knob...it's just hardwired. So the CUT knob on the Tweed Royal will make the negative feedback of the Champ circuit variable. And just like the tone knob, it is a switch, so that if you turn it all the way CCW, it removes the feedback loop completely and returns the circuit to 5E3 Deluxe specs.

That's just what's going on in the pre-amp section. It's pretty cool, but those features are not what I consider to be the feature that makes this amp special. It's what's going on in the power amp section that makes the Tweed Royal special. It has one more knob on the front control panel, the S.E./Standby/P.P. switch. It allows you to switch from 5w, Single Ended, Class A output with just one 6V6 to 12w, Push-Pull, Class AB output with 2 6V6s. This isn't like other amps that just rebias from class A to AB, or cut the wattage in half....this is completely changing from single ended to push pull at the output transformer! SINGLE END and PUSH PULL in one amp. I worked closely with the engineer at Magnetic Components on designing the custom transformers for this kit. Even though the transformers are a proprietary part, Magnetic Components is still allowing BYOC to call them "Classic Tone" transformers because they will be produced using all of the same old school methods that they use on all their transformers in the "Classic Tone" line.

There are also a few other extra common sense features that set the Tweed Royal apart from your standard Champ or Deluxe kit. While working on designing the power transformer, I had the engineer make the primaries as simple as possible. Just 3 wires: Common, 120V, and 240V. So it will just have one transformer and one set of instructions no matter where in the world you are. It will also have a modular mains cord plug just like a computer, instead of that silly "fender" strain relief. It will also make distribution overseas much easier.

Unlike the previous Champlifier kit, we will be offering several cab/speaker options as well. BYOC was approved as a Jensen dealer.

We're expecting to release it in early/mid November. You can see what the kit and options are going to cost in the poll above (DVM edit: see below). Of course I have to add the caveat that these prices may change when we actually release the kit, but that isn't likely. Keep in mind that any of the options that come with speakers are the "starting price" because they will have 25w R series Vintage Alnico Jensens. Q 40w or N 50w series will cost more."

Here's the preliminary pricing; "amp only" means no cabinet & no speakers:

Amp only (no tubes) $399.99
Amp only $449.99
Amp w/Head Cab $574.99
1x12 Combo (no speaker) $649.99
1 x 12 Combo $729.99
Head + 2x12 $874.99
Head + 4x10 $1124.99

FYI, the tube compliment for a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe is one 12AY7 and one 12AX7 in the preamp, a pair of 6V6's for the output stage, and a 5Y3 rectifier. So the $50 adder for the tubes is very reasonably priced. I expect the rectifier would be a Sovtek and the rest would all be JJ's, based on what came with the BYOC Champlifier kit.

There is nothing like this on the market today. Two classic vintage Fender Tweed circuits rolled into a single kit, plus a couple of added features they never had. TOO COOL! :socool

mrmudcat
September 18th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Oh I like that ive been looking at some custom wood cabs for 5E3 just dreaming away......................

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Prototype photos! BTW, if you want to read the thread that this is all coming from, along with a bunch of other details & discussion, it's here: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40328

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tweedroyalfront.jpg

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tweedroyaltop.jpg

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tweedroyalback.jpg

Ch0jin
September 20th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Yup I concur, that DOES look very cool!