PDA

View Full Version : Slap that thang!

marnold
September 20th, 2012, 08:06 PM
If you play bass, you may be familiar with MarloweDK and his Play Bass Now (http://playbassnow.com/) site. Think of him as the Robert for bass. I bought his Beginning Slap Bass DVD (actually, the downloadable version). Here's a snip:

eKDo0663wpE

I've been enjoying the exercises thus far. They're helping me work on my slap and pop technique. My shortened right index finger is even getting used to the concept of popping.

Even more, I've been enjoying tweaking my bass. The EMG 35P4 and MMTW pickups combined with the three-band active EQ give me an almost endless variety of tones. The thing is that they all sound different and I love every last one. Probably the only one I don't like out of the box is the full MMTW with the EQ flat. A little extra treble goes a long way with that one, in my mind. In short, I really like my bass. It's perfect for someone like me who can't justify having multiple basses. This one will cover just about any base (ha!) I'd care to.

One day, I want to play this:

snezG_RA7GI

Here's a cool video with him interviewing the great Larry Graham:

QLfz-HU-wCA

NWBasser
September 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Well I'll be darned Rev., I was just doing his slap lesson a couple days ago.

Very clear instruction. Not sure that I learned much that I didn't already know though.

However, I rarely play slap bass. It is sort of fun though.

Good to hear that the new bass is working out so well for you!

marnold
September 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I really like slap. I just need to get good at it.

Tig
September 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I suggest a cajun diet with just the right spice...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hiSjtpb8YyM/S9s7MNpcJ_I/AAAAAAAABgs/pxPje0-7Yks/s1600/slap+ya+mama.jpg

mrmudcat
September 26th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Hell yea oops sorry Rev.I mean hec ya.............One bass $400,slap your mother cajun diet $20 one Rev hopped up on cayenne red slapping his bass........$$$$ priceless $$$:socool