PDA

View Full Version : A packed, emotional day at poodlerule's....

poodlesrule
September 28th, 2012, 08:10 AM
No accident or anything but a bit of tension, with some major fun thrown in towards the end...!

Poodlesrule:
Radiation oncologist appointment to figure if going after a rogue lymph node is possible/worthwhile
Always some fun questions: "how about erections?" (libido is suppressed, medically) "Er, not much there, but I compensate by playing guitar louder and louder..!"
Rad onc. is great guy, I think we will get along. We ended up talking about his great-grandfather fleeing the local tyranny in Roumania around 1900..!

Mrs Poodlerules:
Was waiting all day for preliminary results of the abdomen scan re: liver "nodules"... Very tense, as you can imagine. She finally got good news, late afternoon, and was beside herself...!

Then we marched on the a quick but tasty dinner, followed by...
Robert Cray Band , Kenny Wayne Shepperd.
Woot!

Love, love Mr. Cray's singing, on top of the guitar playing and the band's overall on-stage balance. Nice stuff.

KWS, we did not know much about, except his ability to render some Jimi Hendrix tunes rather well, which he did, with his other material.
Interesting to see the crowd that came to see him, mostly middle-aged folks, who knew lyrics, etc. There seems to be a number of musical market pockets out there...
Sadly, some of these KWS fans did not bother to check out Robert Cray who was opening (my choice would have been the other way around!), and only showed for the KWS part.. Their loss!

So, yes there was a bit of emotion in the air yesterday.. and I need to make another coffee pot!

piebaldpython
September 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Congrats on Mrs. P getting the all clear for her liver and you liking your radiation oncologist (very important).

My grandfather came to the USA in 1920 from Transylvania region of Romania. :AOK

Tig
September 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Wow, what a roller coaster day you two had! I'm glad Mrs. P checked out without any problems, and I hope it will be the same for you. Without our health, all the other stuff doesn't matter so much.

That would be a concert I'd love to go to, for both musicians. While their albums are good, their live performances have to be great! Kenny's last album, How I Go, is excellent BTW. A must-see for any blues fan is the 10 Days Out: Blues From The Backroads DVD.

http://youtu.be/2RfTkWtDLnM

poodlesrule
September 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Forgot to add:
Robert Cray played with what looked like a stereo amp setup, and indeed it is his standard setup, according to what I read.

tjcurtin1
September 28th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Poodlesrule - glad to hear your good news!

Tig - that trailer looked intriguing, will have to check out the film - tho I have to say that (not knowing anything about him) KWS looked rather out of place in those settings... (mostly set apart by his age, or rather, his youth).

poodlesrule
September 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Tig - that trailer looked intriguing.

Note the reference to the Music Maker Foundation at the end.
I got curious about them, after seeing a sticker on a blues guy setup, two years ago.
They help older blues and traditional music folks with their med bills, tie them over the winter (no gig money), and sometimes with a fresh new instrument, allowing them to keep earning gig money.
A funny one from a recent MMF newsletter: I think Carvin donated a guitar once, and the recipient was playing that night at the fundraiser - created an impromptu song about his new, wonderful guitar... audience was ROTFL.

duhvoodooman
September 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Good news and a cool concert! Glad to hear things worked out!