PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the tuners on an MIM Strat

Big_Rob
December 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Ok, The other day I was at Sam Ash and they had the Fender Schaller locking tuners for 59.99 (yeah I know I can get them cheaper online, but id still have to pay shipping)

So anyhow I would love to upgrade but Ive heard that you have to enlarge the holes.

Is this an overly difficult task? Is there more to it than just running a bigger drill bit thru the existing holes?

Thanks.

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
Not true! I've put locking tuners on all my MIMs without any modification whatsoever. Just plop them in and away you go!

Once you've had locking tuners you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

Big_Rob
December 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Not true! I've put locking tuners on all my MIMs without any modification whatsoever. Just plop them in and away you go!

Once you've had locking tuners you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

Sweeet! thanx for the info!

tot_Ou_tard
December 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hey Chicken Rob. Let us know how it goes. I've often thought about installing locking tuners on (in?) my Godins.

Sorry, I had a little prepositional (or perhaps I mean positional) vapo-lock there.

fendermojoman
February 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I have Schallers but I found some better ones:
Planet Waves with built in string cutter

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM
fendermojoman, I´m very interested in the Planet Waves tuners. How good are they, and do they fit guitars that has grovers?

fendermojoman
February 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM
fendermojoman, I´m very interested in the Planet Waves tuners. How good are they, and do they fit guitars that has grovers?

There are several different models (6 in line & 3 + 3). I asked several questions before buying. Things to consider:
The Shaft diameter of your headstock
The Shaft Height
The back side attaching screw holes

For a fender Strat, they went on perfectly, I did add another string tree and they work very well.
I also put them on my Telecaster too. ;)

LagrangeCalvert
March 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I have sperzels on my paul, and Im getting them for my strat in two weeks. I love them. It makes it so my Girlfriend/Rodie can change my strings if I break one and switch to my backup.