PDA

View Full Version : Getting free 15" PA speaker pair - New project...?

poodlesrule
October 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
It looks like I can get a pair of (generic?) 15" PA speakers, hopefully in working condition (small pic shows STS brand)
What best to do with them?

Load them in wooden closed enclosures?

This may be the first step towards my dream outdoor concerts in large front yard... (even though there are very good local PA guys I could strike a deal with)

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe make dual enclosures with openings for top mounted tweeters or better yet try to find some vintage /modern pa enclosures with bad ripped speakers! I like the build your own with furniture grade ply and places like carvin I know sell parts like tweeters jack plates etc! Is the letters sts or cts and what ohms are they? You could also make some regular guitar ext cabs with the speakers .

sts is most likely sound tech brand although if sts is marked on the cone itself not on the back magnet part or frame it could be eminence they make a sts model.

poodlesrule
October 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
They are Eminence (part number was), and indeed were a part of a SoundTech PA system. I even got the 6-channel SoundTech power mixer thrown in!

Eminence support was very gracious in providing the full specs, and suggested a suitable (third-party) crossover and Eminence tweeter/horn.

Honestly, I just want something the thump around the house, which is timely, as I find some joy in learning some walking bass lines (on the guitar) these days..
It would not be too hard to find a near-free cab with blown woofer around.

mrmudcat
October 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
yea that would be the ticket ..................ebay, craigs lis,t or yard sale...............