PDA

View Full Version : Derek Trucks at 13

Robert
October 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Got a theme going here.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLQTbmUYI4A

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
This ive seen and do have some personel connections with D.T. He was also a phenom in sports at his age! The force is strong with this one...........great bloodlines produce great blood.If I believed in reincarnation.................this cat is channeling Duane .......fo-sho

Great clip brother Robert!!!!

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Very cool. I'll be seeing Derek, his wife & their band here in Albany on Dec. 2--really looking forward to it. In the meantime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clkrASgM8Rc

R_of_G
October 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
First time I saw Derek he came out to join the ABB for a few tunes when he was about 17 or 18. It was clear then that this kid was something special.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Very cool. I'll be seeing Derek, his wife & their band here in Albany on Dec. 2--really looking forward to it. In the meantime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clkrASgM8Rc

Your a low down dirty dog....oops did I just type what I was thinking.........I mean your a lucky dog (yea thats it) and I wish I was going with ya brother voodoo:socool

Tig
October 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
While there is no early video of a young Sean Costello in Atlanta, he was recognized by Levon Helm and taken under his wing.
(Susan Tedesci's 2nd favorite guitarist)

http://youtu.be/_0OhbnpjLqg

Tig
October 11th, 2012, 02:44 PM

You'll love the show! Easily one of the best concerts I've ever seen. So full of energy.

helliott
October 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM
DVM, you're in for a treat. Great show, outstanding musicianship. We saw them in Toronto and were close enough to see Derek and Susan interacting. It as memorable.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Susan can lay it down on a tele purty damn good herself although im sure her playing time has diminished some the last few years !! The new album is really good!!

poodlesrule
October 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Very cool. I'll be seeing Derek, his wife & their band here in Albany on Dec. 2

I' pass the set list along then...!
Sweetie just got tix for the Boston date!
We have floor tickets, she is washing up her earplugs...

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
While there is no early video of a young Sean Costello in Atlanta, he was recognized by Levon Helm and taken under his wing.
(Susan Tedesci's 2nd favorite guitarist)

http://youtu.be/_0OhbnpjLqg

Tig dont take this the wrong way but I love ya brother for posting this!!:socool Sean is another hero of mine we have /had the same demons and I have so much related with him,:gossip in other words our crossroads and crosses to bear are similiar and familiar.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I' pass the set list along then...!
Sweetie just got tix for the Boston date!
We have floor tickets, she is washing up her earplugs...

I have seen alot of shows in beantown!!!!............tales from the road I partied with dave mustaine in a red peterbuilt sleeper cab behind the old boston garden.......I know pics or it didnt happen I got one picture but no scanner...........You know I think ill go to the library or somewhere and have some pics digitized...............another priority:thwap

poodlesrule
October 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I have seen alot of shows in beantown!!!!.........

Mud, forget the scanner.. just write it up!

What era was that in?
I came on the Boston scene almost exactly 34 years ago (Columbus Day!), and then it looks like I only ventured in the then jazz clubs, Phil Woods, Stan Getz type of music... (which felt like the Eldorado for this French farmer's son!)

helliott
October 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Susan can lay it down on a tele purty damn good herself although im sure her playing time has diminished some the last few years !! The new album is really good!!

When I saw her her main job was singing, but there were two tunes where she took a front step on guitar. And one of them was all hers -- she sang and played a totally smokin solo. Derek was all smiles and the crowd loved it.

Tig
October 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Tig dont take this the wrong way but I love ya brother for posting this!!:socool Sean is another hero of mine we have /had the same demons and I have so much related with him,:gossip in other words our crossroads and crosses to bear are similiar and familiar.

:thumbsup He was a great musician and his loss was far too early.
Speaking of crosses to bear, I'd love to read Gregg Allman's book.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yea I think ill put that on my own santas list tig..........ive got a few things cooking in the cast iron but need a little more time of good days.I will provide for my family or die trying fo-sho!!!!

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Helliot was it a tele she has a pretty blue or bluish green one????:drool

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mud, forget the scanner.. just write it up!

What era was that in?
I came on the Boston scene almost exactly 34 years ago (Columbus Day!), and then it looks like I only ventured in the then jazz clubs, Phil Woods, Stan Getz type of music... (which felt like the Eldorado for this French farmer's son!)
This was the decadent decade the 80's of course!!!! The 90's for me found me on the ol crawlfish circuit or close to it Fla, Georgia.Bama,M.S. Louisianna.Texas. Wish I was touring there a few decades back !!!!! The story with dave was something like this.Me and a good friend of mine roadied and we had just loaded the truck when the tour bus pulled up and out runs the band (megadeath of course) out the back door through the groupies on the bus and poof its gone.So everyone bails except a few scragglers and the crew.Time to drink some beer and send the gear onto the next gig.As im walking past the cab out pokes mustaines shaggy head and asks me if I want to share his absolut vodka bottle......and so it began a wild night behind the garden!!! Thats my story and im sticking to it!!!:bootyshake

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Poodle I played in some bands in the nashua/manchester areas I once rode steven tyler on the back of my harley to lynn the city of sin to score some candy well something like that no shit.It wasnt until one of our clan kicked the band moved to cali changed his name to some rikki rocket type crap and bounced back to smalltown usa the following xmas with 2 hot blondes leather pants alligator boots and a contract that I decided I wanted some of that pie.:dude Sex drugs and rock & roll:thwap If I knew then what I know now:help

Pickngrin
October 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for posting that, Robert. Great clip. I saw DT in 1990, performing with members of the Allman Bros, and Stephen Stills, at a benefit for former Florida governor Lawton Chiles. I'd never heard of him before that and my jaw dropped when he started playing.

poodlesrule
December 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Bump to say:
We should have heard from DWM's TTB report by now...

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
DWM?? Is that Duhweirdoman? Or maybe my wife--DuhWoMan. Anyways....

Yes indeedy! The show was Sunday night at the Palace Theatre in downtown Albany. Good crowd, outstanding show--last show this year for the band, AAMOF. Susan Tedeschi's voice is just so powerful and true--my daughter is a singer, quite extensively trained, and Susan really impressed her. Derek, of course, is just flat amazing. The level of musicianship throughout the band is very, very impressive--not a slouch among the eleven of them. For whatever reason, Oteil Burbridge was not with them, and bass duties were more than ably filled by George Porter Jr., a legend in the New Orleans music scene.

They did several of the tunes off Revelator and Everybody's Talkin' (though, oddly, not the titular track), a couple of numbers from the repertoire of Derek's old band (with Mike Mattison stepping up for the lead vocals), plus several tunes I hadn't heard them do previously. One of the high points of the evening--and a complete surprise to me--was when they opened the show with the old George Harrison tune Wah-Wah, off All Things Must Pass. Didn't see that one comin'! They played for a solid two hours, including a 3-song encore. I'll post a set list, if I can find one. Bottom line....GREAT SHOW!! :dude :rockon: :bravo:

poodlesrule
December 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Uh, sorry DVM, I think I just miss-typed on my new tablet...

I was the the TTB Boston show on Thursday, and wrote my blurb here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19718-Live-Music-2012-Track-Your-Shows-Here?p=230908#post230908) ("Track Your Show.." thread).

A lot of fun, indeed!
As posted by me in the other thread, the TTB allows taping audio from shows, and you can find them at bt.etree dot org. I found out by asking one of the folks with the audio equipment ( and may help them out in the future?). Note that the Philly shows are also there, as well as setlists!

Oteil has left to raise a family, I read.
George was having a good time - I was close enough to the edge of stage (standing room, one can sneak in) that he noticed my appreciation for a nice bass line, he cracked a smile and nodded -while my neighbors were too busy screaming "Any Day"!

A funny note: spouse and I got in early (enjoyed Charlie Mars) and made friends with an 80-yaer old grandma from ST's hometown (south of Boston), a blues fan herself, there to celebrate her birthday with family...!

EDIT to add: DT current way of strumming is quite like shown on the "DT at 13" vid above. I was surprised to discover that after the fact.

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM
This isn't from the same show I was at--this vid clip is from a couple of weeks earlier at the Beacon in NYC. But it's essentially the same performance I saw. Great opening number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7MxNeYUxk

And just because I think it's a fantastic performance of a great tune, here's another Tedeschi-Trucks collaboration (and check out the guy in the white cap clapping at the end....):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwktkw_rqE

Tig
December 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
And just because I think it's a fantastic performance of a great tune, here's another Tedeschi-Trucks collaboration (and check out the guy in the white cap clapping at the end....):

He was singing along at 1:19, too. Oh, and Bill Murray saying "Wow" at 1:36.

Here's a rehearsal of "Love Has Something Else to Say" they posted recently.

http://youtu.be/Bhni0jog6o0