PDA

View Full Version : blacktop tele done deal

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img138/720/snapshot201209151g.jpgpic soon

was a returned stock from M.F. Broke chipped knob and bent pot post ......no biggie im fixing to gut it and mod it ......oh yea price was $299.......it is the fsr (FENDER SPECIAL RUN) version in swamp ash with orange stain gold anodized p.g. !

This ones mine chase is on a pretty washburn............we are so blessed to have this forum and the very special people here:AOK

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
If someone want the puppies pm me but although ill consider all requests the ones who have shown me love(alot of you) will be considered first....no monies free on me........................ just saying:french

Tig
October 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Sweet! HNGD, Muddy!

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Thank you Tig you are so appreciated by me and mine ya just dont know.:cool:Hows that saying go Im back baby!!! :dance Well as soon as I put some mississippi queens(BKP) un waxed in and some 550k super pots most likely without a push pull split and jensen pio caps switchcraft switch and jack. I am also going with a hipshot.125 bridge and lockers on the tuning pegs(fender branded or sperzels,tone pros. Hopefully it wont take me to long like a year!!!!:thwap The modding for me is good therapy and a blessing.Like voodoo I love the smell of solder in the morning!!!:drool TODAY IS A GOOD DAY..........................:AOK

Katastrophe
October 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Man, that Tele is killer... Elements of Tele, Gretsch, LP, and all badass! With the mods you have planned it's just gonna sound killer.

Congrats, fo' sho'!

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Looking good Muddy!

kidsmoke
October 12th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Nice Looking Tele! Cool pickguard. Have fun with it! Congrats

Algonquin
October 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Digging the colour Muddy! It really looks great!
Cheers,
David

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM
These blacktops are a great value.

PROS: Great bodies and the necks are awesome.They are supposed to be american stock and really look and feel better than mexi standard.My neck has atleast 16-20 birdseyes.The rosewood frettboard although very dry was very pretty with lots of striations.It took 5-6 liberal applications of fret honey as the rosewood was thirsty!!! Frets were really dressed nice with no ends sticking out so I might or might not touch them.

CONS: I have heard good things on the pups but they are chinese branded s.d. design and ive seen these in the cheaper epi models and washburn and sub $300 dollar guitars.IMHO the pots unmarked switch/jack are chinese garbage below mexi standard.I have had standards come with cts pots and better switches/jacks.If it works for you thats great but they are not up to my standards personally speaking. Tuners are fender marked and are mexi standard !!! Thanks guys for the comments!!

Blaze
October 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Cool lookin axe Brother !

A little modded should do it fo sho !!

Lookin forward to hear the result..

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks Blaze your comments along with everyone elses is appreciated. The M.Q. from bare knuckles is whats going under the hood!!! I am going to get them in the burnt chrome finish.Think harley pipes that are orange ,blue green around the intakes. Forgot to mentiom the control plate is backwards reversed meaning the switch is on the end .I kinda like it as there are no chances of hitting it while strumming and pinky volume swells are much easier!!!!:socool I have a swamp ash fetish and some of my now gone favorite guitars were made with this tonewood. Her name is mississippi queen of course!!!:dude

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage_hot&pickup=emerald

Here is the finish option although these are the emerald humbucker .The queens are p90's in humbucker form!!!

marnold
October 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
CONS: I have heard good things on the pups but they are chinese branded s.d. design and ive seen these in the cheaper epi models and washburn and sub $300 dollar guitars.IMHO the pots unmarked switch/jack are chinese garbage below mexi standard.I have had standards come with cts pots and better switches/jacks.If it works for you thats great but they are not up to my standards personally speaking. Tuners are fender marked and are mexi standard !!! Thanks guys for the comments!!

The good news is that all of the "bad" things about the guitar are the ones that are easiest to fix. Looks like a sweet deal!

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks rev!!! Ive seen the loaded bodies although not in this color and alder instead of ash going for $300+ and the necks for around $200+ on ebay.So $150 for ash body and $150 for the neck is a steal!!!:dude

Spudman
October 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Sweet score! :dance That's a great color.

mrmudcat
October 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks spud it is an orange stain and the ash grain shows awesome.Crappy computer imbedded camera so the pic is horrible.My camera went to the..................... pay...the..doctors..so..you..dont..get..thrown.off ..the..liver..donor..list..fund................:bo otyshake:rollover

oldguy
October 13th, 2012, 08:10 AM
That orange ash is bee-you-tee-full! Very nice, Muddy.

mrmudcat
October 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Easy brother thats my piece of ash ....go find your own tail:bootyshake:rollover:laughingatyou:rockya

tjcurtin1
October 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hey, Muddy, is that you yourself there in that pic? Looking good, man! What's going on on the upper bout - is that a reflection, can't quite make out the scheme there? ANd are you a lefty, or did the photo somehow get flipped in the computer? If it's a lefty, I'd say it was an extra special score as they must be less frequent. Beautiful looking guitar!

mrmudcat
October 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Yep thats my fugly mug!!! TJ Yea reflection,as the body was done sweet!!! No Im righty the pic is flipped it was taking with embedded camera on the puter! I aim to get a camera as soon as possible.I am going to start some project guitars and pay for a part one piece at a time.Hopefully some options I have pan out and I can gain some ground lost......I am not dead yet and I am not laying down fo-sho.....I did have a episode a few days ago but we are dealing with it as I refused to got to the hospice.I need home time family time playing time loving time healing time............ mentally for sure!!!!! Best medicine is family.I think artistic creative types really struggle when not allowed to do so no matter what the limitations are! Peace brother and power supply is on the way hopefully my slow arse hasnt cost you alot in battery money!!!!!

tjcurtin1
October 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Muddy - keep your arse at home and play, or hang with your family! I have not used 10 cents worth of battery so don't waste yer precious time going to the post office. The power supply can wait till spring - stay in where it's warm for now! And enjoy the new git - TJ

helliott
October 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Very sweet looking ride Mr. Mudcat. Looks like many hours of love and affection.

Robert
October 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Congrats Muddy, that should be a fun one!

I like the orange.

Rock on!

Brian Krashpad
October 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Congrats Mud! Looks great. Enjoy and rock the feck on!

Duffy
October 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Very cool Black Top and interesting ideas for the re-build. I like that burnt chrome and haven't seen it before except on my pipes.

I have a black body Blacktop strat with the black pickguard. It's a cool guitar. I bet those Mississippi Queen's would scream in it. I have been thinking of the DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge and Anniv. PAF or PAF Pro for it, chrome or nickel covered. I already put on the Fender brushed finish Shaller locking tuners and I like them.

Good luck and best wishes with everything; from my heart man. I'm recovering from an emergency open gall bladder surgery. Man I was hurting and really relieved to have gotten that out.

mrmudcat
October 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks Duffy.I hope you have an easier time with your G.B.My moms almost died a few years back from the same thing it had set up gang-green!! Ya know ive never had DIMARZ pups before or a guitar with them for that matter,that blows my mind as we are big carvin/vai fans (chase loves them) and love his amps!!! Those brushed schallers are nice and what im going with also!!! Get well brother!!!:cool::socool:french

Tig
October 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm recovering from an emergency open gall bladder surgery. Man I was hurting and really relieved to have gotten that out.

Healing mojo for you, Duffy. I'm glad you're past the painful part.

piebaldpython
October 21st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Sweet lookin' axe Mudman. Good swamp ash just loves single coils or buckers that split. What's the radius on that neck? Think it'll be good for slidin'?

mrmudcat
October 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Pie radius is 9.5,and the neck is very nice.If ya get a body, neck ill give ya everything out of mine to finish for free!!! Slidin yea ill be taking it for a spin. Fact is ,as you might expect im setting it up for slide............................................. .;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I still hate the fact that the supros did not end up in your hands pie...........makes me sick.........just to think about shit like that........so moving along...........................