PDA

View Full Version : Which guitarists do you feel are unsung guitar heroes?

tremoloman
December 22nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
I feel Carlos Cavazo (Quiet Riot), Alex Lifeson (Rush), John 5 (Loser), and Robert Smith (The Cure) are very underappreciated guitarists. Eaxch have their own sense of style and just blow me away every time I listen to them. Their live performances far outweigh anything officially recorded or released IMHO.

Robert Smith has this uncanny knack for creating an "atmosphere" if you will in his songs that just grab you and demand your attention. Johnny Cash also has the same effect on me. As soon as I put on one of their albums, everything else clears my head and just sucks me in.

I look forward to your responses!

Iago
December 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Free's Paul Kossoff..so simple! The guy never wasted a note...and had a great vibrato. He is a bit like B.B. to me.

Iago
December 22nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
oops..

and Billy Corgan of Smashing PUmpkins..I reallt dig him...He's got an unique style. Actually I started playing guitar because of his songs :)
By the way, His solo album is awful...

Robert
December 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Scott Henderson - he's not getting the fame he deserves.

Johnny Hiland - what a guy!

SuperSwede
December 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Mike Stern!

He is one funky mysterious jazzy telemaster!

Nelskie
December 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Great post, Trem - you've hit on a excellent topic. My list of underappreciated guitarists would go something like this:

1. Rory Gallagher - An Irishman who gave the blues a whole new feel. Rory has one of the "truest", stripped-down, fabulous Stratocaster sounds you'll ever hear, and amazing vocals to boot. And live - man, this guy definitely delivered the goods!

2. Johnny Winter - Shotgun electric slide at its absolute finest. A dude so raw and so hot, even the blues masters took notice. Muddy Waters (a presonal friend of Johnny's) dubbed him the "whitest black man" there ever was, and sought him out to produce his "Hard Again" LP. That's cred in the highest sense of the word, my friends.

3. Frank Zappa - Ever wonder why guys like Steve Vai and Adrian Belew turned into absolute fretboard monsters? Zappa was the headwaters from whence their genius flowed. Frank's "Guitar" LP is a veritable clinic on technique, tone, and style. Definitely check it out. It'll blow your mind.

4. Andy Summers - One, if not the first, modern player to employ a highly "textural" playing style, i.e using layers of sound and tone (rather than individual notes) as primary elements in songs. Summers' wide, spacial Strat sound set the stage for almost an entirely new genre of music - a style that would dominate the airwaves for most, if not all of the 80's, and influence countless other bands up to present day.

5. Robin Trower - Although it is true that no one player could ever fill Hendrix' shoes, Robin Trower was certainly one of the best at taking elements of Jimi's sound, and implementing them into his own music. "Bridge of Sighs" is an absolute guitar masterpiece, and a perfect example of Trower's ethereal, driving, roto-vibed Stratocaster tone.

6. Todd Park Mohr (Big Head Todd & The Monsters) - Mohr, ever the chameleon, has a vast array of playing sounds and styles at his beckon call. And while you'll marvel at his smooth, bluesy licks, you'll be floored by his fantastic vocals. This dude's got the whole package.

7. Ty Tabor (King's X) - The only way to describe Tabor's sound is "expansive". Blending Pink-Floydian elements into a tight, agressive, compressed tone, Tabor's sound / playing provide the perfect backdrop to the band's lush, poppy vocal harmonies.

jpfeifer
January 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I agree with some of the other names mentioned in this thread.

Andy Summers: He really inspired me. His use of chords (especially add9 chords) and different guitar tones was really impressive. I used to pick apart songs by the Police to understand why he was playing certain things.

Johnny Winter: He was one of the first guys that I heard in the Blues genre that completely blew me away. I'd never heard anyone play with that much fire until Stevie Ray came along. But Johnny Winter had a different sound that was kind of like a roller coaster getting ready to fly off the tracks.

Pat Metheny: I've found that a lot of guitarist don't like him very much. He isn't very flashy, and he doesn't come from the Blues background at all. But he really inspires me in how he can play through changes and make it sound effortless, he sounds very un-guitar like in his phrasing more like a horn player. And ... I'm always impressed with his writing.

Lenny Breau: This guy could really play. It was kind of like Chet Atkins on steriods.

-- Jim

Katastrophe
January 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Here's a few:

Neil Girardo - I know, I know, he's Pat Benatar's husband. But the man has solid chops, and can write a well crafted pop/rock song.

Alex Skolnick - Testament's thrash lead shredder extrordinaire. The man can flat play...

Monte Montgomery - An Austin singer/acoustic guitar player that can surprise you with little accents and fills in a song, and a good songwriter, too.

Paul Gilbert - An absolute guitar monster. Racer X's Second Heat is a must for anyone learning how to play speedy lead guitar.

Michael Wilton/Chris DeGarmo - Queensryche's first guitar team. Saw them live, and they played the music *exactly* as it was written, with few mistakes. A shame DeGarmo's not with the band anymore.

Brad Paisley - he can rip a Tele a new one. Saw him on a CMT (Country Music Television) show called "Crossroads," where they pair popular country and pop and rock singers together. He was paired with John Mayer, and they did each others songs. He can do bluesy stuff just as good as the country stuff.

tremoloman
January 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Alex Skolnick - Testament's thrash lead shredder extrordinaire. The man can flat play...

Paul Gilbert - An absolute guitar monster. Racer X's Second Heat is a must for anyone learning how to play speedy lead guitar.

Kat,

Did you know Alex quit metal altogether and formed a Jazz trio? It's really good stuff too! You can see more at alexskolnick.com (http://www.alexskolnick.com)

Also, Paul Gilbert is really big in Japan right now. There's an awesome DVD called "Guitar Wars" that you have to see if you haven't already done so. Once of the best concerts I've ever seen. (I'm a major Nuno Bettencourt fan and he's really good friends with him.)

Guitar Wars (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6613419&style=music&cart=300383394&BAB=M)

Katastrophe
January 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I remember reading in another thread that he went full on jazz. Went to the website, and under "Multimedia," found some audio samples. I gotta get this record... A jazz version of "The Trooper?" That's AWESOME!:D

I've been a fan of Racer X and Mr. Big (PG's bands) since my former guitar teacher advised that he was a former student of his at GIT... Ran right out and bought "Second Heat" and still have it (along with the other stuff on cassette tape). Gotta get that DVD, too! Thanks for the info, tremoloman?

Spudman
October 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Well...I've been talking about Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings on the forum ever since I joined. In the December issue of Guitar Player magazine with Brad Paisley on the cover there is a list of "40 underrated guitarists" on page 43 next to the Joe Bonnamasa article. Who is listed ? Why, Roine Stolt of course. Another surprise listing is Andy Latimer of Camel. Both players have excellent taste and tone.

just strum
October 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know many of the guitarist already mentioned, but one that I use to go see weekly at a local bar is Phil Keaggy. He is mainly seen/heard playing acoustics these days, but he is an extremely talented guitarist. If there is a down side, he tends not to know when to end a song (several are far too long).

If you never heard of him, I would recommend you youtube him.

Spudman
October 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Phil Keaggy is definitely underrated by the general population that's for sure. He's great.

R_of_G
October 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Nobody should be the least bit surprised by my response, but here it comes anyway.... Marc Ribot. When asked who my favorite guitarist is, Marc is invariably my response, to which the response is almost always "who's that?" I feel sad for people who haven't heard a large sampling of Marc's playing. There are tones they will just never hear.

sunvalleylaw
October 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM
A little different style than some represented here but I think Thomas Wisniewski, of MxPx, is underrated, as is the band in general. Check 'em out!

http://myspace.com/mxpx

http://www.mxpx.com/home

+1 on Roine! I am really glad Spud turned my on to him.

abraxas
October 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I agree on many of the names mentioned already.

I feel obliged to add Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. An accomplished and very versatile guitarist, with great taste for both tone and arrangement.

just strum
October 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Nobody should be the least bit surprised by my response, but here it comes anyway.... Marc Ribot. When asked who my favorite guitarist is, Marc is invariably my response, to which the response is almost always "who's that?" I feel sad for people who haven't heard a large sampling of Marc's playing. There are tones they will just never hear.

I checked out youtube, but to be honest with you the only thing I've seen so far is really crappy video (quality of video, not of his playing) that consisted more of him tuning his guitar than anything else.

I'll have to go through some more to get a better idea of his playing.

birv2
October 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Here's one who never gets mentioned: Guitar Shorty.

He's Jimi Hendrix's brother-in-law, and Hendrix used to go AWOL from the service to see him play. Shorty is now in his 60's and tours a lot, doing very small venues. Not only can this guy burn up the fretboard, but he's a absolute tone monster (G&L Strats, Fender Twins, and BBE Sonic Maximizer among other stuff). He's not a shredder, just an incredibly heartfelt blues-rock player. If he ever comes to your town, go see him. Check out his website here (http://guitarshorty.com/). If you hear him, you'll hear where Jimi got a lot of his stuff.

He's also a true gentleman, very humble, and will sign autographs and talk with everyone.

Bob

pes_laul
October 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
marty wilson-piper from the church they did all these things that sounded like harps and orchestra stuff but it was all done on guitar

YerDugliness
October 29th, 2007, 09:03 PM
My nomination goes to Jonny Lang. For such a young fella, he sure has/had some incredible blues licks and impecable timing. I'm just sorry he has strayed so far from the blues and is doing more rock these days.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Kenny Wayne Shephard rocks, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzLzRrvEyNA

Dugly :cool:

navvid
October 30th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Nobody mentioned Son House. He was one of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters biggest influences. He was influential upon two of the most important names in blues/guitar/rock history, and he's rarely even mentioned now. Truly an unsung hero.

YerDugliness
October 30th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Nobody mentioned Son House. He was one of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters biggest influences. He was influential upon two of the most important names in blues/guitar/rock history, and he's rarely even mentioned now. Truly an unsung hero.

You know, Navvid, I've never heard a selection done by Son House, but I can tell you that my very favorite blues tune of all time is a Son House composition called "Death Letter Blues".

There's an old cult favorite album by Mike Finnegan (a pretty accomplished session musician and keyboard player for many, including CS&N, Maria Mulduar, and Dave Mason) and Jerry Wood (unfortunately, gone, taken by a cocaine addiction) called "Crazed Hipsters". Not only does it have a kick-A$$ version of Death Letter Blues, it also has perhaps the best version of Ray Charles' "Hard Times" I've EVER heard. A great album (unless you got one of the 500 CD's recorded for a special performance by Mike and the Phantom Blues Band in Wichita, KS a few years ago, you'll have to find a vinyl album, sometimes on eBay), one I listen to on a regular basis to get my blues fix.

Dugly :cool:

marnold
October 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Here's one who never gets mentioned: Guitar Shorty.

He's Jimi Hendrix's brother-in-law, and Hendrix used to go AWOL from the service to see him play. Shorty is now in his 60's and tours a lot, doing very small venues.
I did not know that Guitar Shorty was related to Hendrix. Good call.

R_of_G
October 30th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I did not know that Guitar Shorty was related to Hendrix. Good call.

Yep, married to Jimi's half sister.

While we're on the subject of unsung bluesmen who influenced Jimi, how about a vote for Johnny "Guitar" Watson

birv2
October 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Has anyone heard Rob Tognoni? He's an Aussie blues-rocker who tours a lot in Europe. I bought a bit of my gear based on sound clips of his playing. Though for some strange reason, he sounds way better.....:D

Check him out at his website: www.robtognoni.com (http://www.robtognoni.com)

Bob

R_of_G
October 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Mike Bloomfield anyone? Aside from years of stellar work helping define the electric sound of Dylan, Bloomfield's "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West" is a great listen. To me the sound was always similar to but better than Robbie Robertson.

tunghaichuan
October 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Mike Bloomfield anyone? Aside from years of stellar work helping define the electric sound of Dylan, Bloomfield's "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West" is a great listen. To me the sound was always similar to but better than Robbie Robertson.

Also, Bloomfield played on Fathers and Sons with Muddy Waters.

tung

birv2
October 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Absolutely! And don't forget his stuff with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

I would also add Rory Gallagher, amazing Irish blues guitarist.

Both of them no longer with us, but their music lives on.

Bob (Sweetness)

R_of_G
October 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Also, Bloomfield played on Fathers and Sons with Muddy Waters.

tung

Ok, now that I did not know. Thanks! Will have to check it out.

Justaguyin_nc
October 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
+1 for bloomfield
+1 for Rory

Add 1 for

Steve Cropper.. Just love his sound..

Robert
October 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'll have to mention Allan Holdsworth. Not unknown exactly, but definitely never gets the attention he deserves.

R_of_G
October 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
+1 for bloomfield
+1 for Rory

Add 1 for

Steve Cropper.. Just love his sound..

+1 for Colonel Cropper. This guy helped define the sound of soul music. Cropper is probably the primary reason I want a Telecaster.

Spudman
October 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Steve Hackett

SuperSwede
October 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Mike Stern

navvid
October 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
+1 for Mike Bloomfield.

By the way YerDugliness, just Youtube Son House and the first result should be Death Letter. I swear it gives me a chill everytime. It is so moving, so heartfelt and true. I think it may be the most singly definitive blues song ever done. As Bloomfield said, this man was the blues. When he plays, it is as if the whole world disappears, he himself transforms, and there is only the twangy cry of his dobro, the tapping of his foot and his sorrowful howling moan.

marnold
October 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
How could I possibly forget Brian May? I think he is pretty much the definition of "underrated guitarist." He really has his own voice. As soon as you hear him, you know it's him. I'm a huge Queen fan (up to "The Game" anyway).

250Keith
October 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Brian Setzer

Isopeanut
October 31st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Larry Carlton
Steve Lukather

R_of_G
October 31st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Mike Stern

+1 for Fat City [that's what Miles used to call Stern when Stern was overweight]

R_of_G
October 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM
How could I possibly forget Brian May? I think he is pretty much the definition of "underrated guitarist." He really has his own voice. As soon as you hear him, you know it's him. I'm a huge Queen fan (up to "The Game" anyway).

Good call Marnold. I too am a huge Queen fan, and it's mostly because of Brian's signature tones. When I bought my Vox amp it was primarily influenced by the use of Vox amps by the guys in Radiohead and by Brian May.

Spudman
October 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Larry Carlton
Steve Lukather
Brian May
Brian Setzer

Underrated? Come one. These guys have gotten press for decades and are all currently in popular guitar magazines. I tend to believe that once you do that you have certainly been rated highly. Underrated is the operative word here.

R_of_G
October 31st, 2007, 08:35 AM
The Mike Stern post got me to thinking about unsung heroes. From the time he started using electric guitarists on his albums, Miles Davis worked with some of the absolute greats. It seems to me that most of the talk usually centers around John McLaughlin or John Scofield. Now, both of these guys are tremendous guitar players and HUGE influences on me. However, when it comes to Miles' guitar players there are 2 other guys whose work turned my whole world around.

#1- Sonny Sharrock. Whether it's his spectacular contributions to Miles Davis' early 1970's work [particularly the second track "Yesternow" on the Jack Johnson album], or his work with jazz-punk-noiserock pioneers Last Exit, or his collaborations with Pharoah Sanders, Sonny's sound is always adventurous and distinct. His final solo album, 1992's "Ask the Ages" is a fantastic jazz album with some phenomenal work by Sonny [not to mention legendary drummer Elvin Jones].

#2- Pete Cosey. To my ears, Cosey is the heavyweight champion of feedback guitar. His work on Miles 73-75 stuff in particular is just mind-blowing.

There are players I respect, players I love, and players who are my guitar heroes. Sharrock and Cosey definitely fall into the latter category.

tunghaichuan
October 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
#1- Sonny Sharrock. Whether it's his spectacular contributions to Miles Davis' early 1970's work [particularly the second track "Yesternow" on the Jack Johnson album], or his work with jazz-punk-noiserock pioneers Last Exit, or his collaborations with Pharoah Sanders, Sonny's sound is always adventurous and distinct. His final solo album, 1992's "Ask the Ages" is a fantastic jazz album with some phenomenal work by Sonny [not to mention legendary drummer Elvin Jones].

+1 on Sonny Sharrock. Also good are Guitar and Faith Moves with Nicky Skopelitis.

I have only Sonny's solo stuff, and don't have any Last Exit. What is available, what do you recommend?

tung

aeolian
October 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
My choice would be Danny Gatton. Outside of guitar-playing circle not many people have even heard of him. And he can do it all.

R_of_G
October 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
+1 on Sonny Sharrock. Also good are Guitar and Faith Moves with Nicky Skopelitis.

I have only Sonny's solo stuff, and don't have any Last Exit. What is available, what do you recommend?

tung

+1 for mentioning Nicky Skopelitis!!! So let me ask you this as you are the resident Buckethead authority, and you mentioned Nicky, do you own, or have you ever heard the 1995 album both of them played on by artist/director Julian Schnabel called "Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud"? It is likely the single rarest album I own, and to date I have never run across anyone else who has even heard of it, but as you are a fan of Buckethead I thought it may have come across your radar at some point. If not, it's actually rather interesting. Not particularly experimental for an album featuring those two guitarists, Bill Laswell on bass [and producing] and Bernie Worrell on keyboards, but still interesting. Julian's voice is a bit reminiscent of a very young Tom Waits, and the lyrics [all originals] and arrangements are decent. So, speaking of Laswell we get back to your question about Last Exit...

Last Exit material is hard to come by. I have only two live albums [of the 6 released] and the single studio album "Iron Path." I highly reccomend the live album simply entitled "Last Exit" as a good intro to what this band was all about.:AOK:

duhvoodooman
October 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
My choice would be Danny Gatton. Outside of guitar-playing circle not many people have even heard of him. And he can do it all.
Or could do it all, more properly. Damned shame he isn't with us anymore. Unbelievable talent; not surprising that his nickname among other guitarists was "the Humbler".

tunghaichuan
October 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM
+1 for mentioning Nicky Skopelitis!!! So let me ask you this as you are the resident Buckethead authority,

Not at all, I just like Buckethead's music and offbeat, weirdo sensibilities :)

Do you have any of Nicky's other works? Ekstasis, Next to Nothing, Revelator (with Raoul Bjorkenheim), and/or Wake Up and Dream? These are all very good. Not pyrotechnical by any means, but good solid guitar playing.

and you mentioned Nicky, do you own, or have you ever heard the 1995 album both of them played on by artist/director Julian Schnabel called "Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud"? It is likely the single rarest album I own, and to date I have never run across anyone else who has even heard of it, but as you are a fan of Buckethead I thought it may have come across your radar at some point. If not, it's actually rather interesting. Not particularly experimental for an album featuring those two guitarists, Bill Laswell on bass [and producing] and Bernie Worrell on keyboards, but still interesting. Julian's voice is a bit reminiscent of a very young Tom Waits, and the lyrics [all originals] and arrangements are decent.

Sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't have it, nor have I heard it. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the financial resources to track down and buy everything Buckethead has recorded (as much as I would like to.) :)

So, speaking of Laswell we get back to your question about Last Exit...

Last Exit material is hard to come by. I have only two live albums [of the 6 released] and the single studio album "Iron Path." I highly reccomend the live album simply entitled "Last Exit" as a good intro to what this band was all about.:AOK:

Cool, thanks for the recommendations.

tung

TS808
October 31st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Chris Duarte
Mark Knofler (doesn't get the recognition he deserves)
Tommy Castro
Robert Cray

Spudman
November 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Francis Dunnery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Dunnery

gUqjCbI0EJY

Adrian30
November 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Vlatko Stefanovski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlatko_Stefanovski
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2519

Late 70-ties

1lJsWEBZstc

and last year

1ySX8iFTVWo

Spudman
November 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Nice find Adrian. I've never heard of him, but I'm now very aware. Love it.

ted s
November 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
I think there are quite a few fretters here that are relatively unknown and can honk a good axe.

birv2
November 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
One of the great little-known Chicago guitarists is Chico Banks. He's a young guy who is definitely steeped in that tradition but you can also hear other influences, like Jimi. Amazing player! If you're ever in Chitown, you've got to hear him.

Bob

Adrian30
November 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Nice find Adrian. I've never heard of him, but I'm now very aware. Love it.
Glad you liked his playing, Spud. He has some nice acuostic pieces, too.

Spudman
November 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Terry Kath of Chicago.