PDA

View Full Version : Death in the family.

Katastrophe
October 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Last night, Mrs. Kat and her family suffered a loss. Her grandfather passed away at the age of 86.

My wife knew him as papaw. For years, sailors in the US Navy knew him as "Chief." He served in the Navy as a veteran of World War II, the Korean conflict, and the Vietnam conflict. I knew him simply as Mr. Davis, a spry, feisty man who told great stories, with some salty language. He always had a smile on his face when we were around, and Baby Kat (his great-granddaughter) adored him.

Fair winds and following seas, Mr. Davis. RIP.

piebaldpython
October 16th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Sorry for your loss.......sounds like a cool, fun dude.

marnold
October 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Give our best to your dear wife. Sounds like he had a full life.

mrmudcat
October 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Deepest sympathies brother.

R_of_G
October 16th, 2012, 04:48 PM
My condolences to your wife and family. He sounds like a truly interesting man to have known. May he rest in peace.

helliott
October 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Very sorry for your family's loss. It sounds like he lived a full life, which is a blessing in itself. Best wishes at this difficult time.

kidsmoke
October 16th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Condolences Kat, sounds like he didn't leave much in the tank, and good memories for those who knew him.

Katastrophe
October 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. Mrs. Kat and I appreciate it.

BTW, Muddy, one of my wife's aunts is coming to Texas by way of Alabama. She's in for a long drive, but should be here by tomorrow evening.

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Condolences. Sounds like another proud member of "the greatest generation."

Tig
October 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Condolences for you and the family.

I've known a few retired chiefs, and they are fun to listen to. "Salty" isn't even close sometimes! One chief my Dad served with would tell young ensigns, "Son, I've sailed past more sea buoys than you've driven past telephone poles."

mapka
October 16th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Condolences to your family and you.

Robert
October 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear - sympathies are with you.

Katastrophe
October 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks, all.

@DVM: You got that right. Even well into his eighties, he was still well over six feet tall. A big man, with a big personality, who went to war when his country called... and proudly continued to serve afterwards.

@Tig: You could definitely get the sense that he would censor himself because there were always young kids around... but I could listen to the "PG" versions of his tales for hours. Like many of his generation, he never actually talked about his war experiences.

guitarhack
October 17th, 2012, 05:05 AM
My sympathies to you, your wife and her family.

oldguy
October 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
So sorry for your loss, Kat. Our prayers go out to you and your family. Sounds like he lived a good life.

NWBasser
October 17th, 2012, 09:30 AM
My condolences to you and your family Kat.

sunvalleylaw
October 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
My condolences to your wife and family. He sounds like a truly interesting man to have known. May he rest in peace.

I echo this. My Dad was a navy man too. I love old salts.

Katastrophe
October 17th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks, guys.

This is the greatest place on the 'net. Bar none.