PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Outdoors

NWBasser
October 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
A week ago I caught this show on the local PBS called Idaho Outdoors.

Very cool show!:cool:

They explored the role of the government land management which included the timber industry and environmental groups working together with the Forest Service.

The part about recreation though was fantastic. They showed a lot of Sun Valley mountain biking footage and the new flow trails there.:rockya

The footage from the Sawtooths was absolutely breathtaking.

Spud and SVL are really lucky guys to live in such an amazing place.

Spudman
October 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Plus, it's inexpensive to live here. Don't expect much for culture or entertainment. We mostly have to make our own. Idaho Outdoors is a pretty cool show even to us locals.

sunvalleylaw
October 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Plus, it's inexpensive to live here. Don't expect much for culture or entertainment. We mostly have to make our own. Idaho Outdoors is a pretty cool show even to us locals.

Well, inexpensive in Pocatello, or Twin or Boise. Not so much in Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley. Groceries and gas are through the roof. But I am willing to make that trade off to live here.

Tig
October 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I spent a week in Boise and liked it as a city. Not too big, but big enough to support careers, etc.

The only other place I've been in ID was Grand Targhee for skiing, which happened to have some incredible snow.

Spudman
October 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well, inexpensive in Pocatello, or Twin or Boise. Not so much in Hailey/Ketchum/Sun Valley. Groceries and gas are through the roof. But I am willing to make that trade off to live here.

Time to build a greenhouse?

NWBasser
October 19th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I really liked Boise the couple of times I've been there.

I've only quickly passed through Sun Valley and wished I'd stayed there a lot longer.

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Boise, Twin Falls, Pocatello, etc. are in the Snake River Plain, which is high desert country. The mountains are close, but you are not directly in them. See the "crooked smile" running through the lower portion of the state, that also contains the Snake River, and I-84. Sun Valley is tucked up into the south central mountains that dominate Idaho once you are up out of the plain. Hailey, where I actually live, is just tucked to the mountain in from the Camas Prairie, which is separated from the Snake River plain by a low range.

The population centers of the state are within that plain, as there is a lot more flat land and that is where the freeway runs. Boise is a nice little city with some vibrant night life and music, etc. But a little too warm and dry for my taste. I like being truly up in the mountains. It is a very beautiful state and is worth the extra effort to see. (it takes a bit to get here).

piebaldpython
October 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Just curious.....living in Philly....and knowing nada about Idaho. In the "high desert country" that you mentioned....what's the "average" temps in the middle of winter? How much snow in that area per year?

Tig
October 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
While I've never been to Pocatello, my old fire chief bought one of their antique ladder trucks. I ran across this photo and scanned it. Damn, I was young in those days!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8049/8117756169_72ef339b5e_c.jpg

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hey, Wally Cleaver on a fire truck!! :AOK

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
@PBP, Boy, average is a hard one. Cold anyway. Blowy, snowy etc. out in the plains but not so much snow depth.

Up here in the mountains, it depends on the year of course, but there is usually a few feet of snow in my yard, and more up on the ski hill.