PDA

View Full Version : Am I off-bass here?

NWBasser
October 18th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Excuse the pun.

Since my main band, The Mediocres, seems caught in the doldrums and isn't playing any gigs due to loss of lead singer and guitarist. We did get a new guitarist who is awesome though. I've been checking the local CL for other bands where I can get out and play.

I responded to an ad for a blues/rock band that sounded promising. However, after a couple of e-mail exchanges, the guitarist writes that I should bring an amp since his bass amp won't cut it against his FULL STACK!:thwap

IME, guys that use full stacks are using sheer volume to compensate for lack of talent and that was a big red flag. It's also my opinion that full stacks are overkill for pretty much every gig situation around.

I once wrote in a bass forum, that if I showed up for an audition and saw a full-stack that I'd turn around and leave.

With that in mind, I wrote back that I wasn't sure that either my 500 watt rig or my ears would handle the audition.

Am I off-base and too quick to judge here?

Robert
October 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Well, a full stack doesn't mean it has to be turned up all the way though, does it? I dunno, maybe give it a shot and ask if it's possible to keep the volumes in control? If not, I'd be gone - your ears are more important than any band.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
It's pretty obvious that the guy's into LOUD. If that's not your cup of tea, take a pass.

Ch0jin
October 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
As someone who plays through a half stack with very loud friends.

Yes, I agree with you Basser. I can't imagine when I'd need an additional 4x12 unless it was for tonal variation. Even then, screw carrying 2 4x12's to gigs and rehearsals.

NWBasser
October 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I would imagine that if you showed up for a gig with such a monster, that the sound guy would rip you a new one.

In my experience stacks are used for volume. More volume than I care to experience.

NWBasser
October 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Also, to hear myself I'd have to upgrade my rig to 1,000 watts and an 8x10 - or two.

Not gonna happen.