PDA

View Full Version : Fender Micro Tilt neck adjust. Useful..?

poodlesrule
October 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Spent time casually looking at Strat models at local GC - hard for my little head to sort them out (and I may look elsewhere entirely for my main "good" Strat, as I orginially planned)

I realized that some models do not have the "MicroTilt" neck adjustment screw.

Is this thing really useful, in refining a setup, I assume?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
See if this helps:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/electric-guitar/neck-angle.php

BTW: Bolt-on necks that don't feature Micro-Tilt still have the advantage of being shimmable to address the same thing. I recently shimmed the neck on my Strat so that I could lower the protruding saddle screws.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have a few guitars with the micro-tilt and a bunch without it. It does make it convenient to quickly fine tune the guitar's setup, but for the most part I've never really needed it or used it on my guitars. Maybe in the hands of a really good tech it could make a difference, but I wouldn't know.

mrmudcat
October 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Spuds nailed it.The purpose of changing neck angle is strictly for getting a lower playing action.If the bridge(saddles etc.) are adjusted as low as you can and the strings are to high then you would pull the neck and adjust the angle (microtilt) of the neck.Again spuds pretty much said the same thing!!:socool

mschafft
May 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM
It's not necessary for the first 10 years. After that, it's sometimes helpful to be able to reset the neck angle easily without having to shim it.
Millions of guitars work without one, but it's a nice touch. It's very easy to build too. Fender should include it on all standards from Squier to CS range.

Perfect Stranger
May 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM
The micro-tilt is indeed convenient, however....a common playing card can be used just effectively.
Playing cards are already highly compressed so they shouldn't change as regular cardboard and a
few other items will do. Good luck on your hunt....long as you get a Fender, you'll be a winner!:dude

tremoloman
January 10th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I love the micro-tilt feature! I think it's so much easier than shimming but it is a feature like everyone said, not a requirement. :)

tjcurtin1
January 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Trem! Whoa - long time no hear! It's good to see you here - how are you these days?