PDA

View Full Version : Casual photo equipment question (spouse wants zoom!)

poodlesrule
October 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Spouse, a point-and-shoot photographer, is looking for a new unit, wants zooming ability, for candid shots and the like.. and is a four-minute shopper ("oh, let's get this!").

I am telling her to slow down and consider:

- balancing portability with zoom performance, i.e., if camera is too bulky, you don't have it handy... no shot!

- paying attention to where optical zoom ends and digital zooming kicks in (if I understand the process correctly)

- looking at a small digicam, and use it for still shots as needed

I would like to hear your thoughts on this!
She is just about to leave the 9-to-5 work life, so new camera could be a sizable gift to herself...

Spudman
October 25th, 2012, 08:42 AM
There are so many cameras available now that it's a daunting task to find the right one.

This site has some of the best reviews. Just narrow it down to 10 plus megapixels and at last a 4x optical zoom. Start with "best cameras" on the left.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

poodlesrule
October 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks, very useful, the "Compact Super Zoom" category is right on.

I see that cameras now have on-board GPS..?!!?!

Retro Hound
October 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Here's the site I always use: http://www.dpreview.com/

Yes, many cameras have GPS. I'm not sure I like that myself, but I'm a privacy nut.

markb
October 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
The Canon SX230 is being cleared out at very good prices lately if you want a compact superzoom. GPS eats batteries and is only really useful if you're prone to forgetting where you've been :)

poodlesrule
December 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Update: We bought an SX260 HS the night of her last day at work - me: "Hey.. I think there is a photo store around the corner!"

Quite a bit of a machine under a small package. Gotta look into disabling GPS, no need to use up battery or brain cycle keeping it going.

sunvalleylaw
December 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
I just wish they would make some point and shoots, some of which have good lenses, with viewfinders.