PDA

View Full Version : New song "Park Bench" - Dobro, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, etc

jpfeifer
October 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hey Everyone,

I've been continuing to push myself to write more songs and record them on a regular basis just to get my composing and production chops in shape.
I've been having a lot of fun with this. I decided to focus on writing music with the intention of licensing it for advertising or TV/film. This is a very competitive space but it would be my dream-come-true to ever have someone license any of my songs. I have friends who have had some success with this (although minor), so it is possible if you work really hard at it and have an equal amount of luck. You have to start somewhere, this is what I'm focusing on - starting that process of writing my own material, experimenting with sounds/arrangements, and finding a voice.

Here is a link to the latest song that I recorded. For this one I was trying to capture the sound/feeling that might go with a park-bench scene where two elderly folks are visiting with each other.

To capture this old-time/quirky soundscape I used Dobro, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar, and glockenspiel (sampled)
I've been enjoying the Dobro quite a lot lately. It's challenging to play this instrument but I'm in love with the sound that it makes when it's coaxed in the right way, and muted (it also likes to make noises that don't sound good, so a lot of effort/time is spent learning how to dampen it effectively while you play :-)

Here is a link to the song: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11969165
Thanks for listening!

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM
Nice! I like how you have an upbeat, positive feel for capturing the feel of two elders visiting on a park bench. Seems like many of the scenes I can think of focusing on the elderly are less positive. (Grumpy Old Men, etc.)

The dobro is nice. It does not have that raspy, twangy sound that much dobro music seems to have to me. Thanks for sharing!

mrmudcat
November 1st, 2012, 02:44 AM
Nice dobro work fo-sho!!

Retro Hound
November 1st, 2012, 10:08 AM
I like it!

Algonquin
November 3rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Sounds great Jim! You've captured a wonderful vibe and balance between the instruments. Super easy to listen to, I could definitely imagine this piece as an intro/outro to a television show.

Cheers,
David

jpfeifer
November 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments. I've been having fun working out some things on the dobro lately and I thought this song would benefit from some dobro parts to add some quirkiness and old-time kind of vibe to it. I'm still kind of a novice on the dobro but working on my tone and technique. It's well worth the time to spend on the instrument since it adds so much character to a song if I can get my parts right :-)

Thanks again for listening!

--Jim