PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking for advice on set-up (amp)

The King in Yellow
October 30th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and don't know much about electronics/guitar equipment.
I've been playing for ten years and am just now trying to get together a decent setup. So far I have:

Guitar: LTD Deluxe EC-1000 (with EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active pickups)
Pedal: BOSS ME-70 Guitar Effects Processor

Now its time to choose an amp, and I was hoping to get tips from you all on which brand/what type of amp to consider.
I figure most of the sound quality is going to come from the guitar/pedal, so with the amp I'm mostly looking for volume, clean, versatile, with a bite to it.

Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Zip
October 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Actually, a lot of sound quality will come from the amplifier. For "volume, clean, versatile, with a bite to it", try a HipKitty Panetone amph (link here ----> http://www.hipkittyproducts.com/pb/wp_904a01b5/wp_904a01b5.html ). A little pricey for some, but the tone is absolute woody.

Ch0jin
October 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I don't know anything about the amp Zip is suggesting, but I agree wholeheartedly on the amp and tone comment. Your amp will play a very significant part in your tone. I run two amps, a JTM45 and an early 90's Peavey tube combo in parallel and with the same guitar and pedal board, they certainly sound different when set to "Clean" (which is part of the reason I run both simultaneously)

Tig
October 31st, 2012, 03:05 AM
What is your price range?
I'm guessing the amp will mostly be used at home or jamming with friends, so lower wattage should be fine.

Consider looking at an amp that doesn't have onboard effects of amp modeling since you already have the effects covered. You can still buy something with onboard effects and simply not use them, in which case the Fender Mustang 1 or 2 is a good choice. Depending on price, you have more than enough amps to choose from. It should be something that sounds good no matter what effects you use, as well as sounding good without any effects.

Looking at the cheaper end, I'll steer you away from Behringer, Dime, the Fender Frontman's, and lower end Marshall's. Look into the Roland Cubes, Bugera V22, VHT, Blackstar, Vox, etc. It really helps to know your upper spending limit, however.

The King in Yellow
October 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Well my price range is maybe about $300, so I'm seriously considering buying used so that I can get a decent amp.
I might be able to get something that would retail for $ 600- $700 that way.

Yes, I just want to confirm that I will be using the effects pedal for effects, not the amp.
I was leaning away from getting a tube amp because I'll be using some heavy distortions and such, I figured it would blow the tubes.
The purpose of the amp is mostly for jamming with friends, but we jam loud. I would also want the amp to be usable for small gigs, like a pub for example.

Thanks again for your tips

Bookkeeper's Son
October 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
As you've probably already noticed with pros, Fender tube amps are extremely popular, to a great extent due to their stellar clean tones. And since they're popular, the used market has a lot of choices. I'm thinking maybe a Blues Junior (15w), which can be had for about $300. Or, for a bit more ($450 or so), a Hot Rod (40w).

As for "blowing the tubes", heavy use may shorten their life, but I wouldn't worry about that. There are also many fine solid state amps to be had, and $300 will go pretty far - Roland cleans are highly regarded (I have a Cube 30X, and I agree).

Maybe Frankenfretter will chime in regarding his Roland Cube and use of pedals.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
I was a newb 6 years ago. I almost got a modeling amph, but after researching here, got a good, basic tube amph. If I had it to do over, I might consider starting out with something quite small like a Blackheart Little Giant (5w I believe, great sound). I got a 30w Peavey Classic. A lot of amph for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, I have loved that amph, but just starting out, something like a Blackheart Little Giant will do fine. Then you can play with your multieffects pedal though it, and experiment from there.

The vid below is a head version, but you can get a combo version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACfzWYMMYQ

Mark Wein, a member here, demos one here, with some cleaner sounds demoed as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl40VWWy7Ps&feature=related

jadecantrellbonner
May 7th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Check out the Palomino By Crate. It is a surprisingly good amp. All tube. Good luck man