PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Parker

Robert
December 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
My steps into the world of jazz started by listening to some fantastic jazz musicians of the past. The first one I want to mention is the incredible "Bird" - Charlie Parker.

He was, together with Dizzy Gillespie, the main force behind the Bebop movement. Bird had an incredible technique, but he also played extremely melodic and always in complete control.

He had major drug and alcohol problems which he could not handle. He in 1955 died at the at the young age of 35.

To get a glimpse of this jazz giant, musically speaking, check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkvCDCOGzGc Performing "Hot House" with Dizzy Gillespie.

The almighty Wikipedia has a good bio on Bird - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Parker

Enjoy!

If you've never listened to jazz, give it a chance! I can tell you getting into jazz made me a better player by about 2000%. There is so much stuff to get into in jazz, and if you take your time and learn some it, your playing will show it, trust me.

jpfeifer
December 23rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Yes, I totally agree. Charlie Parker is one of my favorite Jazz soloists. He is a master of playing over complicated changes and making it sound easy.

I also think that learning some Jazz concepts will make you a better musician for almost any style that you play. I knew a guy who used to say that playing Jazz was like lifting weights musically. It was hard work that made you stronger as a musician.

Thanks for posting the youtube clips of Charlie Parker. I'll check those out.

-- Jim

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
O! Yes, the bird! A great place to start, but don't stop there!

Spudman
December 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
There was a really great movie about him that Clint Eastwood directed. I think it was just called "Bird" or something like that. It was a little tragic but still a very insightful and powerful piece of cinematography. I'm not sure how accurate the music scenes were though. I can't remember whether or not you could tell if the actors were faking it or not. What was acted very well was Bird's fall into drug addiction. It really took you down into that long dark tunnel.

It left a very strong impression on me so I'm recommending it to those that haven't seen it yet.

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Yup, it's called "Bird".

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
There was a really great movie about him that Clint Eastwood directed. I think it was just called "Bird" or something like that. It was a little tragic but still a very insightful and powerful piece of cinematography. I'm not sure how accurate the music scenes were though. I can't remember whether or not you could tell if the actors were faking it or not. What was acted very well was Bird's fall into drug addiction. It really took you down into that long dark tunnel.

It left a very strong impression on me so I'm recommending it to those that haven't seen it yet.

I enjoyed it very much. A good one to cue up in your Netflix.

Robert
December 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
The music scenes in "Bird" were very well done. I believe Herbie Hancock was the piano player on some gig scenes. Good stuff, a must see for any jazz lover. A quite accurate movie piece, it seems. He was severely messed up, which was why his body gave up on him at the age of 35.

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
The music scenes in "Bird" were very well done. I believe Herbie Hancock was the piano player on some gig scenes. Good stuff, a must see for any jazz lover. .

I have really loved jazz music since high school. Parker and Coltane are favorites. I also really dug the fusion scene when it was going on. I long believed that John Klemmer's album entitled "Touch" was the best make-out album out there.

By that way Robert, thanks for the Chromatic lesson. It is great, and one I will work to master.

Steve