PDA

View Full Version : My new best friend, "Kuka", the industrial robot...

poodlesrule
November 6th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Yesterday, I met my new best friend, "Kuka" the industrial robot, which administers a highly focused spot radiation, first session of five, 45 minutes each...

Freaky as can be is all I can say....!
It really is an industrial robot, like you see painting cars, or welding stuff on assembly lines (search for Kuka robot for visuals, mine is white), with a radiation head the size of huge suitase at the end of its arm.
Six axii of rotation, almost perfectly silent. It goes about its business of positioning itself very precisely at various angles, including one where a good chuck if it is over you... At some point, you can't help but think "I hope the control software isn't going to crash and reboot the thing..!"

You almost expect the thing to start attempting a dialog, with flashing lights and odd music.. like an curious alien creature that picked you up (Hi there, I am from Apha Centauri. You..?)
I think I will try to whisper some compliment to the thing to see if it really is capable of emotion...

BTW, this could well buy me a sizable amount of time before having to go to the next level of therapy, a good excuse for considering getting more music gear...!

piebaldpython
November 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Good luck with your treatments. Any side effects expected or commonplace? Prayers and mojo sent your way.

poodlesrule
November 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks.
There should not be any side effects, as we are hitting a single lymph node, which had already greatly shrunk with parallel treatment. Make that mojo multi-year control mode, please - I have been working with this on an off since 2003, and I plan on continuing, as others have...

Update: Kuka is down! Waiting for call fro new time today...
I was just saying to my sweetie this morning: these industrial robots can run for months with no vacation, sick days, etc.

tjcurtin1
November 6th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Mojo to you, JL, with hopes to meet a a concert sometime soon...

TJC

mrmudcat
November 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hopefully Kuks does not have a bad hangover and you can get it on again!! Seriously though get well brother and mucho mojo to you and yours!!!

deeaa
November 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Machine / person interactions on such intimate level are surely scary. I've once visited an assembly plant full of welding robots, where I got to walk inside the actual track where the pipe/parts being welded for power plants are made...a 200-yard long 'track that turns and twists as the parts need be positioned, with robots and manual welding positions all along it. It felt very scary, like in a sci-fi film.

Best of luck with the treatments!

poodlesrule
November 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM
All done!

I cele rated with uying a Nexus 7, and a new laptop is next (notice how my key is not working..?!!?!)

Dee, what you saw is that very type, except that this one isn't going 60 km/h...
It does reach over your ody a couple of times, close enough to notice a ground wire not quite tight on the ground post...!

marnold
November 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Glad you made it through the treatments! I too have a Nexus 7 (just traded my 16G for a 32G). I like it a lot!

poodlesrule
November 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
32 GB here as well!

Sleek beast!
And I just bought a laptop as well, as mine is done - failing ke_board...

The frugal in me wonders what's going on... all these big-ticket items all of a sudden. I think I am done until Springtime, except for the occasional pla_ store stopover...