PDA

View Full Version : New Band

NWBasser
November 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Well, after two years and too many two-note songs I finally quit The Mediocres. I felt that the band was going in a direction of songs that were too simple to keep my interest. Practices were becoming a chore rather than something to look forward to.

I had my final gig with them last weekend and made the most of it.

A couple of weeks ago I answered an ad for a group looking for a bass player. Jazz-fusion.:french

It sounded very interesting, but I was worried about whether or not I could cut in that demanding genre.

After an audition, they wanted me in the band right away. It turns out that a lot of the material isn't that difficult to play, but sure is incredibly fun.

Not sure it's entirely jazz-fusion though. Old Santana. Old Chicago. George Benson. Steely Dan. Phill Collins. Man, that old Chicago stuff kicks arse for bass!:cool:

Last night's rehearsal was the most fun I've had on bass since high school. I had an absolute blast and was even given a bass solo. They like to improvise a lot which is right up my alley.

The band's name is Portait and consists of drums, guitar, bass, and viola. It's a very interesting and eclectic mix of instruments. The drummer/band leader's wife plays the vocal parts on her viola and it sounds really good. They are all very good musicians and it's a serious treat to play with them.

So far, I've been playing my fretless with them and will probably use it for most of the tunes.:happy

I'll try to post some recordings when I get some decent ones.

marnold
November 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cool! Keep us posted! Freeform jazz odyssey, away!

Tig
November 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Happy New Band Day! That sounds like a perfect gig for you.
:rockya

mrmudcat
November 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I agrree with tig !!! First rule of progreesion IMHO is to enjoy what your playing!!