PDA

View Full Version : So I got my butt plumbed today . . .

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
You know, that thing you do after you turn 50. Everything came out fine (harhar). The prep day was not as uncomfortable as i thought it might be. Fasting in the morning followed by magnesium citrate and dulcolax in the after noon. And my mind wanted to mess with me a bit, but I fought that down as best I could with focusing on my pedal board build, and by getting some practice in.

The procedure itself was a non-event. They get you set up in the gown, give you the juice to start the nap, and before you know it it is over. No worries really.

I post this really as an effort to get folks who are turning 50 when all should go get one done, or are a little younger (so most of us), that have risk factors to get up off their butt and make an appointment and do it. IT is not an easy thing to think about and commit to doing, but well worth it. And once you make the decision and get going, it is really not that big a deal. Certainly better than draggin one's feet and missing an opportunity to catch a polyp or two before it turns into something, etc.

So, I am treating myself to a fine beer tonight and relaxing with my guitar and family!

Cheers all!

And seriously, if you are in the relevant age group or have family risk factors, go get it done. Really is not a big deal and can potentially save some bigger problems later on!

Tig
November 12th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Ah, the joys of a colonoscopy! :spank The big gallon or so of "cleansing" liquid is some seriously nasty stuff. I've never managed to drink more than half before the 2 times I've been down that road. (thanks to the "Franklin colon" from my mother's side, I had to start getting those around 40)

I'm glad you came out with a clean bill of health, among other clean sections. You should be good for several years unless any issues crop up, or another 100,000 miles.

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM
2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate a couple hours apart, leap frogging two sets of 3 ducolax tablets each. :thwap Actually, though not pleasant, it was not that bad. The worst thing was that the Seahawks game I was going to watch between trips to the bathroom was not on in our area.

Radioboy950
November 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Here's what I remember about the last one I had...
I scheduled the procedure for a Monday. I failed to realize that I would be downing the prep on Sunday, which happened to be FATHERS DAY!!
What a dope.
'Bout time for another one too.

piebaldpython
November 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Gad you passed the exam. I just had my second one done last year (I'm 56) and I'm good for 10 years!! :happy

Way back in the day, the prep truly was nasty with the worst-tastin'-stuff-God-ever-created. Now, it's relatively harmless as I took the mix and added it to Lemon Gatorade.

Listen up guys......if you're 50, you need to get this done.......along with getting your PSA checked periodically.

Spudman
November 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Ahhh, congratulations Grasshopper.

I remember my first fondly...I watched the whole thing on the monitor. It was like the movie Fantastic Voyage. I kept thinking, "wow, if a hamster had a headlamp this is what he'd see."

Mostly I remember being really gassy and crampy afterward.

otaypanky
November 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Never did it yet, I guess I should. Next month I hit the big 60 so I'm overdue ~

poodlesrule
November 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Good on SVL to explain that the "modern" prep is no big deal.

That reminds me... if allowed, I should post a PSA about the other one often neglected by men, their prostate health!
I know a bit about that...
The PSA test is cheap, second opinions on possible early signs are plentiful, early detection avoids a lot of trouble...

And generally, if you feel like your doc is not up to task, just move and pick another one. A cousin failed to do that and went on way too long before curative treatment could have, IMHO, put him in "controlled" mode, i.e. disease in out there, just reigned in.

duhvoodooman
November 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I think we need a new "More Info Than I Needed" sub-forum.... ;)

Seriously, it's an important test to have done for us "seniors"....

Spudman
November 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
It just dawned on me that you never have to worry about playing solid state now that you've been fully tubed.

piebaldpython
November 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
It just dawned on me that you never have to worry about playing solid state now that you've been fully tubed.

:rollover:bootyshake:rollover

OMG.....I'm laughing so hard I gotta go pee. lol

Tig
November 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM

:rotflmao:
I just hope SVL doesn't post any before and after tone recordings! :nope

marnold
November 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Oh, quit being so anal.

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM
LOL! Yeah, actually I posted that whilst still coming down from the naptime meds. :dance I still mean what I said though, go do it if it is time for you to do so. And make sure your significant other or someone takes away your smart phone and does not allow you on the computer until the next day. :)

deeaa
November 13th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Never ever heard of anybody doing that without a clear indicator something could be wrong. Must be an americanthing like yearly medicals and seeing shrinks. Here nobody goes to docs just in case or sees a psychologist unless cops or teacher sends you to one. Or lawyer...people just go to the police instead of lawyer if need be. These are all big differences I've noticed that side of pond..dentists too.

Tig
November 13th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Well Dee, all you need to do is eat more sugar and fatty junk foods, plus eat at fast food restaurants, then get wound up over traffic, politics and impressing your neighbors, and soon you'll be living the American Dream lifestyle! :dance

One of the local gastroenterologists here performs about 15 colonoscopies and/or upper GI scopes, 3 days a week, and likely makes my annual salary in just a week or two.
That said, prevention is better than cure, which brings us back to diet. I fail with that, so I can't point a finger at too many people out there.

Spudman
November 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
If you just follow the Pigeon diet, the pebbles will scrape most offending material from your colon. Plus, you'll also have a nice supply of gravel for your fish tank.

Seriously, a high fiber diet works wonders for keeping the system clean.

kidsmoke
November 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
wow. just. yeah. wow.

thanks SVL. So much.

Spudman
November 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.:poke

deeaa
November 14th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.:poke

Lol yeah...I just hae a vasectomy. I Ccould post a pic of blackened balls...

Tig
November 15th, 2012, 12:03 AM

:nope
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/ahh.jpg
:nope

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Oh, can you say "off topic" :D

poodlesrule
November 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
..shouldn't that thread be a Sticky...!?!!?

(sorry, my key is still not working...)

mrmudcat
November 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Ok im going to chime in, just say no to crack .................AKA: BUTT PROBE. I never have had a probe or in D's case a nip and tuck and ill die that way ......trust that!!!!!:spank

D once youve seen one blackened ball youve seen them all!!! Down here in the south that would be a delicacy, dinner ,supper and left over beer snack later on .Need to dig out my mamas recipe for blackened balls although they would be Texas Longhorns or Black Angus beef balls!!! Rocky mountain oysters!!!:happy

Photomike666
November 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Have these people never heard of keyhole surgery, er, like perfectly natural keyhole!!!

Spudman
November 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM
This thread is a bit weird! :messedup:

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, time to close it out. Let's talk about guitars and pedals and amphs and stuff.