PDA

View Full Version : Win7 laptop in UPS truck as we speak..

poodlesrule
November 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Finally replacing antique/malfunctioning stuff around...

I did try to like Win 8, for almost a whole afternoon at Best Buy, but just couldn't do it.

I DO like my new Nexus 7, but this is really a long-term marriage with The Big Provider. Many third-party apps are calling home in the background, if not chosen carefully.
Bonus: Strobe tuner app!

(I still lament, and am still bitter about the fact that my beautiful 2004-era PPC PowerBook has been orphaned... just streaming a remote community radio in corner of living room, these days...)

Tig
November 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Happy new LT day!

I played with Win8 on a few touch screens laptops and PC's and it was cool. On a regular mouse system, no thanks!

Spudman
November 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Good info, thanks. I'm very close to having to replace my 8 year old xp desktop and was wondering about Win 8. Sounds like I'll be better off with Win7 since I'll be staying with a desktop rather than a laptop. Now that I've got the O.S. out of the way I can start thinking about the other stuff that boggles my mind when considering the new replacement machine.

poodlesrule
November 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
A few third-party utilities ($8-12) generating a semi-familiar look exist, bypassing the "Metro" interface, I think.

But why have to add a fix on a brand-new design, just out of the box...?

I was utterly confused with what was a widget or not, the fugly colors.. and my lack of patience?
Stark contrast with the Nexus interface, which was up and running in two minutes. And you can grab a PDF manual showing the fancy details if you need to!

marnold
November 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM
I will be very interested to see how Metro is received on the desktop. From what little I've seen, it makes some sense for phones and tablets. Not so sure about the aforementioned keyboard/mouse combo. I can see some value in trying to make the same experience across devices. Actually, Metro hearkens back to the original version of Windows in several different ways.

I'm happily using Linux, so the actual decision is irrelevant to me. The nice thing is that Android IS Linux, so I already understand how the guts of it work.

poodlesrule
November 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=marnold;230714]

...happily using Linux, so the actual decision is irrelevant to me... [/QUOTE

Hear, hear.

Busy trying to figure if I need to do preliminary work for a future dual-boot now, or just let the distribution installer take care of it, by offering proper volume partitioning, as it normally does (well), down the road.
Many folks have the idea that running Linux is quite complicated, when, actually, it isn' t.

Phoebe Image
January 6th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Hi, is win8 compatible with some pdf conversion software?