PDA

View Full Version : Mojo Nixon Holiday tunes/other favorite Holiday Music

sunvalleylaw
December 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
For low brow holiday humor and pure goofy fun, has anyone listened to Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper? They have a Christmas album out (it came out in the 90s) called "Horny Holidays" Pretty vulgar, don't listen if you are offended by such. But pretty funny, and Skid lays down some good licks and funky rythms and someone contributes some good boogie woogie and honky tonk piano. Not suitable for family listening, but fun, esp. after making a dent in a holiday beer six pack.

Other Christmas favorites include:

John Denver, Rocky Mountain Christmas - I love the sentimental "Baby just like you" track, and the Christmas for Cowboys always seems to fit when I am teaching skiing during the holidays up here in the high desert intermountain rockies.

Beach Boys - Christmas Album - A lot of good original music with fun surf vibe in 1964. My kids love it, as did I when I was a kid.

Alligator Records Christmas Collection - Koko Taylor, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Tinsley Ellis and a whole bunch of fun blues.

20th Century Maters Best of Blues Christmas Collection - Another good collection with B.B. King, Albert King, Charles Brown, Keb' Mo, Freddy King and others.

EDIT: Almost forgot a huge favorite:
Charlie Brown Christmas I love jazz trio music and the Vince Guraldi Trio put out a huge holiday memory for me. I love what Jim Pfeifer did with it on his take of "Christmas Time is Here" linked in his post.

What are your favorites?

r_a_smith3530
December 25th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Never heard of it before, I'll have to check it out. In addition to those you've mentioned, I'd have to add Brian Setzer Orchestra's 2 Christmas albums to my favorites list.