PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Fans (Hagstrom, that is).....

kidsmoke
December 12th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Consider this a product endorsement. at 11:00 or so.

Assuming this is a newer, not vintage, but not familiar enough to know if there are telltale signs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUlACxVYDSY&feature=endscreen

Spudman
December 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, that is a newer one. Pretty sweet guitar and sounds.

sunvalleylaw
December 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Looks just like mine!

kidsmoke
December 12th, 2012, 11:13 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. For a Gibson endorsee who plays nothing but vintage 335's , it's quite an endorsement. I wonder what it is he's hearing or feeling that makes him choose it...

sunvalleylaw
December 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Pat Smear (no slouch) of the Foo Fighters plays one also sometimes, though his has block inlays. Check the "walk" video to see it. I really like mine.

Tig
December 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Pat Smear (no slouch) of the Foo Fighters plays one also sometimes, though his has block inlays. Check the "walk" video to see it. I really like mine.

Pat is an avid Hagstrom collector/player. He plays them quite a bit for recording as well as touring.

http://images.thomann.de/pics/hinpics/pat_smear_ex_nirvana_%2B_foo_fighters_.jpg

Duffy
December 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Tig;231174]Pat is an avid Hagstrom collector/player. He plays them quite a bit for recording as well as touring.

I noticed that in the twelve twelve twelve concert he was playing a Hagstrom superstrat. It looked like a nice guitar.

Tig, you definitely look like Alvarez from the "Sons". Quite a similarity. Alvarez is a serious character.

sunvalleylaw
December 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, he normally plays the solid boy Hagstroms. But here he is on a Viking, though I think it is the Tremar version with the trem bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNPeyU3Jqk

Back to the original post, that is pretty cool that guy makes that choice as well, given his relationship with Gibson. I also wonder what he feels or hears to cause him to switch over.

I notice as I watch the vid, that he plays slide on the Gibson, and plays more intricate lead stuff on the Vik. it is a very nice feeling neck, and easy to play on. I like to learn new things on my Vik. Maybe that nice playing neck is part of it.

kidsmoke
December 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM
When I've seen him with the allstars, he's playing what appear to vintage 335's. I wonder if part of the appeal for that first tune is that beefier frets make hammer ons easier. Also, don't these have some sort of composite fretboard, and proprietary p'ups? Could just be that's its got some "modern" flavor and feel that's a nice departure for him.

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM
They do have a composite fretboard that I find very easy to play over, and though I have never played a vintage Gibby, I would not be surprised if the frets on the Vik were bigger and more modern. The P'ups definitely have their own thing going on too. Must be something in there that he likes! For me, the playability is a big thing.