PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Pedals?

47Taskmaster84
December 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I have been playing guitar for about a year now, and I was wondering !.) when/if I should get a pedal? 2.) what is the point of a distortion pedal if i already have distortion on my amp? 3.) What type of pedal should I get? (chorus, overdrive, distortion, wahwah + what brand) Price range = 0-100$.

Thank!

marnold
December 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM
It depends. What style of music do you play most? Do you feel something is missing? If so, can you define it?

Spudman
December 16th, 2012, 11:09 PM
If they were available when I was starting out I would have bought a Line6 M13 or M9 and never looked back. All the pedals I've ever used or wanted are in them and I would have saved a ton of money in the long run. Yes, I do have some cool individual pedals that I've gathered over the past 30 years, but I can't fit them all on one board so I don't use many of them. All I use these days other than a looper (best investment you can make), and occasional pedal for recording, is the Line6 M13 or M9.

Pedals are not necessary, but if you like coloring and exploring then they are useful tools. Having different distortions other than just your amph is fun, but it really depends on what you are doing. There are a lot of bad-*** players that just run straight into the amph and that is their sound. You'll have to decide who you are.

Ch0jin
December 17th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I don't know if you can fit it in your budget, but I'd say a looper will most directly help your playing and never go out of style. Second, I agree with Spudman, I started with the truly awful Zoom 505 effects pedal, but at least I got to know what all the effects did. With today's technology, a line 6 style modeller would be an amazing start. They are however, more than $100

Katastrophe
December 17th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I quit using outboard effects a few years ago, and went back to plugging straight into the amph. Even though I now use a modelling amph, I use effects sparingly, and only as a novelty.

You will be amazed at the different tones you can get just using the amph, its EQ, and the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

All that said, Danelectro makes a decent, cheap line of pedals that won't break the bank for you to experiment with. A good overdrive, delay, and chorus can cover a lot of sonic territory.

47Taskmaster84
December 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
It depends. What style of music do you play most? Do you feel something is missing? If so, can you define it?

I play rock, (classic rock, hard rock) and grunge. My friend is about to give me one of his amps (Ibanez 20w Bass amp). I was thinking maybe just getting a couple danelectro's (because there cheap) and playing around with them to see what each effect does and if I like it.

jadecantrellbonner
May 7th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I think it all depends on what sound you are going for. I for one am not a purest by any mark on tone. Some people will tell you all you need is your volume control and a nice tube amp. That is there gig. But if you listen to anything Metal, Prog, Hard Rock, Indie, etc. etc. etc. You will need pedals to achieve lots of those tones. What you are going to buy will depend on what you want to play. And I would say get a Bad Monkey overdrive. Dont go with a danelectro dont do the price thing you will regret it. Check out the Digitech Bad Monkey. great sounds and if you already have a distortion on your amp stack them to get some gnarly grunge tones.